life in our corner

TroyDairy

Yep cgi....always good guys. 

We tested new tent they bought with selling sweet corn.

So someone posted this pic on FB for #milktruckmondays it is missing the 2nd trailer but thats my Grandpas/Uncle place the summer before he sold out.  I figured why not?  Few clicks on Amazon photos and 11x14 in a 2nd hand frame.  His (uncle) birthday in the 7th 

Pet day at school....guess which one mine?

Well another kick in the nuts.  Neighbors we've lease 70+ ac from told us Monday they prob taking back for berries.  Nice they waited till late May so we could get the grass replanted.  Now we have 3 months to figure something out.  Kind of frustrated they could not of let us know 2 months ago.  Their dad for sure would of imo.  70 ac around here is vert hard to come by.  They never allowed a paper lease so just year to year but after 12 with them and 10 with former a little respect would of been appreciated. 

Then....seed co seems to of got poison starter mix.  Roots burnt off alot...10k seeds per ac not coming up.  No root hairs so no uptake.  Yellow and short with shallow sideways roots.  They and their insurance say plow up and replant.  We'll make it right.  We'll grandpas was 20k to plant...where do i get 20k again?  And when will it be right?  3000 ac appears damaged.  Do you wait and hope?  Then late June realize its bad and be SOL?  Or chisel and disc and carry on and lose few tons per since its 3 to 4 weeks late?  Such a kick in nuts.  They told everyone 3 weeks ago they were closing doors after harvest.  Cenex and etc are just to big to compete against and they we wayyyy out on APs from last season.  Berry and dairy just didnt have $.  So now they dont have $ or seed to fix.  Insurance says they will (just yesterday) but like i said when?  Finally was looking up for 19 now we will presumably be tight on feed and hay is though the roof already.  Brother even said Monday....why are we doing this?  

20190529_185114.jpg

20190529_185408.jpg

20190529_190403.jpg

20190529_190631.jpg

• Sad 5

I'm sorry to hear this Troy. I don't have any advice, but I'm very sorry. For perspective, your kids look like they love life and they're all very well adjusted. Mission accomplished, Dad.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that. In SD it is law to notify by October or November, (can't remember which) If lease is cancelled for the next year. That wouldn't fly here and I would fight it if I were you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

Sorry to hear that. In SD it is law to notify by October or November, (can't remember which) If lease is cancelled for the next year. That wouldn't fly here and I would fight it if I were you.

Yeah...just disappointed.  We never had paper lease so.  They wouldn't sign one.  We always call ahead when we chop so they can water down lanes since dust is hard on berrys pollinating etc.  And have fixed up some drainage, drive silly slow by their hired mans home on farm.....just treat like ours.  And 0 respect was recieved back.  Anyone who has heard is baffled they would be so tackless.  Their dad never would imo.  Mayyybe we call him and ask if there is any wiggle room.  Then also its in between us and other leased land so will they even let us go through or 4 mile trip on highway around?  Siggghhh....  

We decided to leave corn.  I have 2 opinions from other fieldmen i respect.  They feel its hurt but not toast.  Waiting till Tuesday for 100% yea or nay.  And when is insurance check coming?  And what for?  Ugh

Me and Ace's day just kept getting better.  Pass to the rt...not even a tire mark.  Rt side 0 sink.  

15592554004072331853954313896645.jpg

• Sad 1

there was a good article in the Wausau daily hearld yesterday about farmers losing money, they interviewed a couple near Madison wis, they were 58 and 54, sold cows knew they took a beating on them, but as article said some farmers before they get dressed in the morning have lost 500 dollars for the day, and as article said does it look to get better? and I understand your frustration with the corn stand m have had that happened before also, what do you do? haven't had that problem this year as we haven't got one seed planted yet this spring, this sure looks like its going to be a very frustrating year, I see guys offering 800 pound square bales for 150 dollars, that's not going to work either with the current price for milk either

• Sad 2

Be glad you have corn growing. I have less than 10 acres corn planted. 0 acres beans. More rain chances over the weekend then again next tues-thurs. Talking with my friend/neighbor that normally chops 40 acres for silage has zero corn acres planted. He is wondering how he is gonna get 1st crop hay off with rain every 3 days or less. Odd cool wet year so far this year. 

20190530_112013.jpg

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, new guy said:

Be glad you have corn growing. I have less than 10 acres corn planted. 0 acres beans. More rain chances over the weekend then again next tues-thurs. Talking with my friend/neighbor that normally chops 40 acres for silage has zero corn acres planted. He is wondering how he is gonna get 1st crop hay off with rain every 3 days or less. Odd cool wet year so far this year. 

20190530_112013.jpg

...yeah I was a first poo pooing your guys weather whinning.  'Sissies we get 48 to 75" in my county depending where you are.' I thought.....

BUT now I have city kin in MI complaining and dairy/vet blogs i read occasionally are noting rain and AgWebs, read it for 10 min and went  Oh.  Bought 50% of my corn needs last Friday.  I did see that it looked like N IA had a break this weekend which looked long and warm.  But man what a mess.  If it aint 1 thing it's another.  Maybe put some Mud TA on a old coronet and so some cornfield 500 rallye for income?

There are places that are nearly done. Other places have not gotten started. We have been mud since Oct 1st. Many in the area finished harvest this spring. I finished soybeans in January. Had to wait for ground to be froze to get across without sinking or sliding the combine down a hillside(thats a feeling right there!!?) This spring we had a dry spell and were able to get started. No fall fert done of course so everyone wanted everything at the same time. My custom NH3 guy spent many days sitting waiting for transports to refill his big tank. He finally made it to the one farm closest to home 2 days before the rain started falling again. Got P and K spread on that farm. Another one of my farms to the east never got NH3 and when i called the coop location that takes care of that farm to spread P and K when the bottoms finally dried out they said it would be 3 weeks before they got there if it didnt rain. I have had about a 3 hr window to plant since they got my nh3 on the end if April. It was not anywhere near ideal but i needed to run some seed thru the new to me planter to get the new to me Integra monitor dialed in.  Threw 4 bags in the planter and went. Got rained out as the planter was running out....

Looks like i will be taking PP on my corn acres this year. Feel a little like a failure for not getting it in but i have done everything i can do to be ready to go. We have a couple more weeks to try to get the soybeans in. 

All the critics that say farmers just go out and plant crops fenceline to fenceline are killing themselves by overproducing. They ain't spouting off this year. If this thing finishes off like it is starting a huge amount if not all of the corn carryout and a good amount of the soybean carryout will be wiped out. 

Heck...cant even mow the lawn/cemeteries without getting stuck and leaving muddy tire tracks all over the place.

We all have our challenges. You guys in dairy have it much worse. You cant take "prevent milking" and try again next year like we can in crops. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

...yeah I was a first poo pooing your guys weather whinning.  'Sissies we get 48 to 75" in my county depending where you are.' I thought.....

BUT now I have city kin in MI complaining and dairy/vet blogs i read occasionally are noting rain and AgWebs, read it for 10 min and went  Oh.  Bought 50% of my corn needs last Friday.  I did see that it looked like N IA had a break this weekend which looked long and warm.  But man what a mess.  If it aint 1 thing it's another.  Maybe put some Mud TA on a old coronet and so some cornfield 500 rallye for income?

You can handle 48 to 75 inches rain like we can handle 20 and 30 below zero temps with a stiff northwest wind. Add a layer and move a little faster...

I even buried my Polaris Sportsman in my calving pasture here at home.

Calve in May they say....

Wont have to fight the mud they say...

Had to knock out one of my bulls out on pasture yesterday to treat him for hoof rot. Was easiest just to hit him with some Rompun and take care of him out on a patch of grass....

• Sad 1

I agree the next 2 weeks will be critical, the corn price will go up but with no corn planted it wont matter much to guys. so end users will be paying thru the nose for corn, and I am sure hay prices will be extremely high this next year,

Troy, big local farm milks over 2000 and usually plants 2500 acres of corn has 37 acres planted. Hay ground is to wet to drive on and on top of that the weather has been so bad that alfalfa has winter killed bad. They say they lost at least 600 acres of hay ground to winter kill. Grass looks bad in most places. I have had multiple farms inquiring about my corn that I have been able to plant. If I had that number of animals I would be really nervous this year around here. I little south of us it’s better but not by much. I have over half my corn in and up but the rest of it I can’t even cut stalks on. It’s going to be a tough year I think. Would be really surprised if it turn dry all of a sudden either. 

10 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

Troy, big local farm milks over 2000 and usually plants 2500 acres of corn has 37 acres planted. Hay ground is to wet to drive on and on top of that the weather has been so bad that alfalfa has winter killed bad. They say they lost at least 600 acres of hay ground to winter kill. Grass looks bad in most places. I have had multiple farms inquiring about my corn that I have been able to plant. If I had that number of animals I would be really nervous this year around here. I little south of us it’s better but not by much. I have over half my corn in and up but the rest of it I can’t even cut stalks on. It’s going to be a tough year I think. Would be really surprised if it turn dry all of a sudden either. 

Bergens or Donnans? 

6 minutes ago, bitty said:

Bergens or Donnans? 

Ideal dairy, I’m sure they have a little more in as of tonight. That was as of Thursday and we had 4 ok days without to much rain. Supposed to start again Sunday afternoon so we’ll see. My neighbor has none planted and that’s not uncommon right now here. 

Troy I am sorry about the added difficulties you have been experiencing. Hopefully you will be able to weather the storm

I am nervous about what crops we will get. First cutting was thinner than normal as it's been wet since the end of last July. We did harvest some off the neighbor who is going to get rid of the milk cows when they run out of feed later this year. Very little corn planted in the area here but it's only the beginning of May here for a starting time to plant corn. We are 10% done is all, forecast is not good.

Well the sick corn looks ok.  Not perfect but rebounding.  CHS guy has looked at it few times and says he is still comfortable leaving it.  He has rec some guys plow it up also so not being one sided and hes married to kin so I know him. 

Got 2nd in this week...eagle there in pic

did my WaSt Farm Bureau meeting in Leavenworth wa.  Seen this guy on side road on pass when i stopped to pee quick!  I think griz..he was tall as headlights sitting on butt.  Hump on shoulders and right color.

Discing down last corn field...the grass just isnt worth it.  Old stand and now since we did not replant may as wele use the $ for the 30 more ac.

Ace helping pick up wrapped bales...

Order of pics...i cant make it right anymore!

20190608_151022.jpg

20190605_091813.jpg

20190604_073334.jpg

20190608_051526.jpg

20190605_154732.jpg

• Like 1

I have to take pic of corn.  So far so good.  Hit some water over it this week.  Brightened up and since spray grew nice too.  CHS guy chk it 2x and stll stands by leaving it.  Cutivating this week to give it a boost.  Got 30 last acres planted Monday.  Field was bumpy..9yo peat sod.  Hard to tear up..should of rottatilled.  Angle disc but the ol 435 is too light really.  Sob bricks and scary dry this year.

Turned 6....4 Wheeler time

Feeding the employees...

Brother went to air up tire night before leaving camping.  Wth?  The triangle braces from I beam frme to outside qall frame were either collapsed or cracked.  Had to build 2 from scrap since it was sagging to tire.  Slide is too heavy for the sheet metal brace.  What if it happened 5 hr from home?  Such cheap construction.  Took 2 of us 2 hrs.

20190611_073131.jpg

20190608_175931.jpg

20190610_201021.jpg

20190608_051526.jpg

Irritating.....started water full on 2 weeks now.  What a pita.  Uncles field of "sick" corn.  Looking ok imo.  My new seed grass... another story.  I dont think we got what we ordered...crappiest looking 50#/a fescue ever.  Water grass everywhere...thin spots.  Field we planted later which they got seed fromCHS looks great.  Frustrating...banker said to just step away from the seed co since they are quiting you never know what may happen.  Should of took it to heart.  Prob have to drill some in after we mow it.  Pray the blueberry prices soften....then i can keep my 75a!  At least 300 more ac have been put in this fall/spring here.  And i think the buds look really heavy.

Again.........so scary imo: Brother was going camping...chk tires..wth?  Tires almost hitting wheel wells.  The triangle braces from frame to oitside 2' of body were all buckeled.  Wt of slide too much.  So at 8pm we scrap metal pieced some together.  Ridiculously light original ones.  Now 2x3 channel and 1/8 wedges.  What if he didnt see it?

Stupid marshmallow squeeze.  2nd one this year.  Figured out was 4" not 3.5 it should be.  Kept breaking welds and twistin.  Friend borrowed it 2 3 years ago and cyl died.  He put bigger one on.  Too much.  Wors ewas TSC seveal to choose from on the shelf.  The tractor dealer said they just couldnt stock that stuff.  What the? 

20190611_124448.jpg

20190610_201021.jpg

20190618_201719.jpg

20190617_205145.jpg

2 hours ago, mader656 said:

And people turn their old camper into a flatbed trailer....

I know.  Friend owns rv shop.  Says every one is built for what it wt leaving factory.  Then you add stuff!  Light light

1 minute ago, pt756 said:

hello troy what size of 4 -wheeler? 2 wheel drive ?  kind of looking for a small one for beginners, the bigger ones are just to hard to turn. do you have throttle limiter on? thanks

Thats a 03 250 Honda.  No limit but dads hand on her butt if going too fast!  Brother has a older polaris 90 2 stroke.  Gots limiter on it but then if it never gets opened up it carbons up.  The small brand names here are 1000 and 8 years old.  The china ones are ok but only last 3 years maybe