Jump to content
TroyDairy

life in our corner

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Here Hol bulls are 10 to 20.  AngXHol 150.  Hol hfrs day old 30 40.  Heifers have jumped..springers 1400 to 1600.  Cows still 1000 1100.  In Feb this looked rough...we generally dont get snow cover.  Got real dry and cold...looked bleak.  Then got rain and 60s in March and poof greened up.  Ended up doing about 100a.   Soft in places but we'll manage.   I'll ted (where did that word come from anyway?) It out after chores in morning and maybe agian 3 4 pm.  Plan is chopping noon friday.  

 

Forgot...field trip with 1 of girls to the .museum....love that place!

20190423_090618.jpg

Wow what a difference between how things are done. Here, you can cut good heavy alfalfa that's maybe 5% bloomed and then chop it the next day most times. If it's 30-40% bloomed I've seen guys run the swather just a few hours ahead of the chopper. This is for feedlot haylage though not dairy so I suppose there is some difference there. I'm sure you guys cut at less maturity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ZachGrant said:

Wow what a difference between how things are done. Here, you can cut good heavy alfalfa that's maybe 5% bloomed and then chop it the next day most times. If it's 30-40% bloomed I've seen guys run the swather just a few hours ahead of the chopper. This is for feedlot haylage though not dairy so I suppose there is some difference there. I'm sure you guys cut at less maturity. 

Zach here the rest of season we cut morning chop next afternoon.  No alfalfa here...orchard and fescues....40 to 50# per ac seedings.  So like carpet not stalks n stems like alf.  3 4 tons a acre just this cutting.  Green green heavy...so we have to fluff it up to get down to 35%ish DM.  And yeah if there are heads...its junk, is our motto.  We try for 29 to 32 day cuttings till 1st week of October.  Now the rye cover crop...hopppe for 4 5 dry days.  Cut and leave alone 2 days then rake and chop.  Rough corn fields so dont wanna go over more than have too.  And its sticky wet great feed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

holstein heifer calves are the $20-30 ones, bull calves are higher. I sure wish that I could get $1500 for a springer.

I'm selling haylage to two neighbors who are out of feed. the wet fall kept both corn and haylage from getting completely harvested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
4
13 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

So it begins.  Doing just top fields since driest.  Got 3" last week so low ones are rice paddies yet.  Main thing is we neeeed silage..  No extra hay in the entire PNW and $$ if you find it.  We have 9 days left of grass silage.  This 80a will tide us over for few weeks.  Hope foreguess is right that we have wet weekend then long run of nice.

 

Kinda fun site...

www.whereismymilkfrom.com

20190424_105857.jpg

I've wanted to know what plants dairy products came for some time. ....

Our Cottage Cheese in Westby, WI,

our Milk bottled in DePere, WI....

Thanks Troy for that http://whereismymilkfrom.com site.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ny bill o said:

holstein heifer calves are the $20-30 ones, bull calves are higher. I sure wish that I could get $1500 for a springer.

I'm selling haylage to two neighbors who are out of feed. the wet fall kept both corn and haylage from getting completely harvested.

Here alot of guys out or near out....like us.  The 1500 was big dairy auction in Cali week ago.  Guys say they were just getting stale.  Need few hd to keep pens full.  Canadians been offering 1400ish for fresh 1st and 2nds.  Cull cows are $1ish on hook so not bad at least.

Frikin rope lock dog popped off at night.  Unraveled a winch...holy crap what a mess.  Somehow it kept wrapping loop of rope on axle.  Took hour to just unraveling.  Then 1.5 + to get all reset.  

Tedded smoothly.....hope sun comes out in morning.....an a breeze

20190425_084612.jpg

20190425_114021.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the sudden the bb gun is popular here!

 

Screw balls!

Got grass in.  Like 100a friday.  400 ton id guess.  Looks like nice stretch coming so hope next week get low fields and start on silage corn planting. 

 

 

20190427_140025.jpg

20190426_185551.jpg

20190426_185648.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

All the sudden the bb gun is popular here!

 

Screw balls!

Got grass in.  Like 100a friday.  400 ton id guess.  Looks like nice stretch coming so hope next week get low fields and start on silage corn planting. 

 

20190427_140026.jpg

20190427_140025.jpg

20190426_185551.jpg

20190426_185648.jpg

perfect,  love it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Troy went to the MVCS dinner auction last night. 1 gallon of Darigold sold for $1000.00 All you dairy guys are making a killing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wholllly mollly!  I better see them high rollers in Skagit for some cash!

Got some grass planted.  Baled pasture grass for dry cow feed.  Tractors are using more power to push peat than bale!  The M7-171 is new and the Fendt has 10k hours.  Says the fendt will prob out last the Kubota already.  Its (kubo) kinda thirsty and can tell its 1st gen of big tractors.  Butttt the 0% for 5 years hooked his be claims.  Mowed up so they baled row.  But should of layed 4' at least.  Always forget...they are pretty wet.  At least marshmallows are forgiving.  

Uncle had Brillion hooked up...sad 7120 esp considering it has 5000 hr on it.  So me an Ace just used it quick.

Planting 1st corn now.  Kinda too dry frankly.  Nervous for how dry summer may be...or how wet June will be.

Got new starter for the ol car.  Man...neighbor's lift is just sweet.  0 bad words.  Did farm trucks same day on shop floor.....very be challenging for some reason.

20190503_134156.jpg

20190503_174732.jpg

20190430_140513.jpg

20190501_124320.jpg

20190430_140517.jpg

20190430_152402.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the balers are those McHale balers, cloverdale here in curtiss started selling them I hear they can outbale just about anything that's around here, the guy that runs cloverdale was from Lancaster county his name is john hoover, they seem to really be getting into the mixers in a big way, their brand is cloverdale,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Wholllly mollly!  I better see them high rollers in Skagit for some cash!

Got some grass planted.  Baled pasture grass for dry cow feed.  Tractors are using more power to push peat than bale!  The M7-171 is new and the Fendt has 10k hours.  Says the fendt will prob out last the Kubota already.  Its (kubo) kinda thirsty and can tell its 1st gen of big tractors.  Butttt the 0% for 5 years hooked his be claims.  Mowed up so they baled row.  But should of layed 4' at least.  Always forget...they are pretty wet.  At least marshmallows are forgiving.  

Uncle had Brillion hooked up...sad 7120 esp considering it has 5000 hr on it.  So me an Ace just used it quick.

Planting 1st corn now.  Kinda too dry frankly.  Nervous for how dry summer may be...or how wet June will be.

Got new starter for the ol car.  Man...neighbor's lift is just sweet.  0 bad words.  Did farm trucks same day on shop floor.....very be challenging for some reason.

 

Troy, Ya know maybe next year you and your fearless leader should come south for the dinner.  If your well behaved I might even let you be a guest at the same table with my old lady and myself.   I always hear about them upper state north enders next to the border type once they get out of town for a couple of hours they get wild and crazy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 806 man said:

Troy, Ya know maybe next year you and your fearless leader should come south for the dinner.  If your well behaved I might even let you be a guest at the same table with my old lady and myself.   I always hear about them upper state north enders next to the border type once they get out of town for a couple of hours they get wild and crazy.

So many smart azs comments are in my head now.......😂

Cant believe they let you in even

PT  yes McHale are way ahead of everything else.  This guy has 4 (120k each!) And iirc there is 10 in our county now.  We make this peat pasture into them to separate out for dry cow feed.  Alot of us just get more grass per acre than 20 years ago.  So several will just bale up 5th and 6th cutting since they dont have bunker space.  But at 22/ its not cheap.  Then a bunker for 50 dry cows will never have a nice feed face.  So..he said his claas ones cost 25k a year in just maintenance.  These are less than 10.  They cut very nice and bales are real consistent no matter DM or tonage.  He had non wrap ones then went back and wrapped but finding help was too hard.  One guy trued a Krone 7 years ago.  Thankfully after 1 season the dealer got Krone to return his money.  It was bad bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always wondered how that works wrapping on the go? around here most are put in the long tubes or a few are wrapped individually didn't know that they cost that much either , we were thinking about a better round baler, notice I said better and not new? was probably going to go with a new Holland 740 ot 7060, lots sitting around, but now are state has experienced such a devastating winterkill I doubt there will be much of a need for baling this year, not to many guys in dairy around here needed that to happen on top of the current price situation, alfalfa and the other hay crops are depended on very heavily to feed our animals was always our one advantage we seemed to have over the years.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pt756 said:

I always wondered how that works wrapping on the go? around here most are put in the long tubes or a few are wrapped individually didn't know that they cost that much either , we were thinking about a better round baler, notice I said better and not new? was probably going to go with a new Holland 740 ot 7060, lots sitting around, but now are state has experienced such a devastating winterkill I doubt there will be much of a need for baling this year, not to many guys in dairy around here needed that to happen on top of the current price situation, alfalfa and the other hay crops are depended on very heavily to feed our animals was always our one advantage we seemed to have over the years.

I have heard reports of feed issues in the MW areas.  That bad?  Our raspberry guys are fearing 20% or more winter kill.  Normal is like 3%.  Field next door pulled yearling plants out of ground and rottatilled in all 60 acres.  Bad deal...we are windiest area almost.  The month of cold dry wind freeze dried them basically.  2 farms here make big 3x3x8 bales(funny..krone silage balers an it is great) of silage and have a tunnel making machine.  Not cheap but works nice.  Both farms are in the river bottom.  Building a bunker is big deal since they have to have such a big pad and the dig out the same cu yrd somewhere for flood to go.  Absolutely stupid.  So 100k baler and 50k wrapper were cheaper.  Funny they haul silage on 40' flatbed from field to where they stack it.  Youtube has vids of self wrappers like in my pic.  Really slick.

Newest ones have arm on back that flips them on end...like my guy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello troy watched the video, now I understand, vet was out today for herd exam, he also works at one of the local sale barns on dairy day, as we talked about prices of cull cows now, he made the comment that you sell that big old cow , could bring that 70 cents per pound , you can buy a nice springing heifer back and have money left over, I see cheese rose again today, wonder whats causing the increase. they claim most of wis. has severe winterkill. could be less milk maybe? the queen of forage isn't there this year for us, pt756

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Busy busy

Very heavy rye innerseed

Suuuppeerrr heavy fecue!

Knocking down some sprayed rye and weed ahead of chisel plow.  Getting too dry here.  80 today....may get reels out Saturday 

 

Humm pics nonworky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 2:17 PM, TroyDairy said:

I have heard reports of feed issues in the MW areas.  That bad?  Our raspberry guys are fearing 20% or more winter kill.  Normal is like 3%.  Field next door pulled yearling plants out of ground and rottatilled in all 60 acres.  Bad deal...we are windiest area almost.  The month of cold dry wind freeze dried them basically.  2 farms here make big 3x3x8 bales(funny..krone silage balers an it is great) of silage and have a tunnel making machine.  Not cheap but works nice.  Both farms are in the river bottom.  Building a bunker is big deal since they have to have such a big pad and the dig out the same cu yrd somewhere for flood to go.  Absolutely stupid.  So 100k baler and 50k wrapper were cheaper.  Funny they haul silage on 40' flatbed from field to where they stack it.  Youtube has vids of self wrappers like in my pic.  Really slick.

Newest ones have arm on back that flips them on end...like my guy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All my berries look great and I guess on a decision I might regret planting silage corn !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SJH said:

All my berries look great and I guess on a decision I might regret planting silage corn !

I doubt it.  Its rare to find now too.

Try pics again...

Grass

Rye cover

Rye cover

Missed windrow in dark 🙈

 

20190508_094713.jpg

20190508_144005.jpg

20190508_144001.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20190511_091644.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 11:55 PM, SJH said:

All my berries look great and I guess on a decision I might regret planting silage corn !

I honked alot tuesday morning!

Heavy cover crop mean tough sod.  Disc down before plowing 

20190515_153055.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never get stuck near barn....they are way out there in distance.  Yes i knew better.  Figured..."better stay away...oh crap"  plop she sank

20190516_124908.jpg

20190516_124910.jpg

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Never get stuck near barn....they are way out there in distance.  Yes i knew better.  Figured..."better stay away...oh crap"  plop she sank

20190516_124908.jpg

20190516_124910.jpg

I heard you honking finished plowing my last field today ! I was hoping to plant strawberries Saturday but it's pouring rain here but that's good for the raspberries I planted next to my house !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we are  drought declaration dry now.  Got  .25 last night though.  Planted everything we hoped.  Have a 30 after 2nd cut we will plow up the put corn in next week.  Have 30ac of hay for marshmallows down...now wet....for dry cow feed on old pasture we get.  Some pics from week.  Mowing the steep pasture.  Horse plowing match.  Groover guy was in area so we had some did at dry cows.  Always worth it.  Last field eagle got mouse.  Male i believe...short guy.

Fretting about tying up grains also....

20190523_192105.jpg

20190522_184207.jpg

20190522_171626.jpg

20190518_120030.jpg

20190521_111728.jpg

20190523_165353.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

So we are  drought declaration dry now. 

Life certainly has something for everyone, doesn't it?

We are so wet here I can hardly walk across the lawn to the mailbox without having to wear a life preserver.

Keith-

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...