TroyDairy

life in our corner

wonder what the big plan is? heard a while ago that the a plant said they will never pay those prices again when milk hit 24 dollars. I see places like grassland putting in a 100 cow rotary not to far from here and another planned for next year.

Man.....Nov 15 tomorrow.  Thanksgiving in a week.  How does that happen so fast?  Was JUST 1st football game and day of school 4 5 days ago.  

Went to my State Farm Bureau meeting.  I am on board for our county.  Pretty good turn out this year.  Had guy from pro Ag law firm speak on animal law.  New thing is sueing on BEHAFE of the animal.  Like, "since the cow cant talk i am bringing the dairyman to court on her behalf....b/c she told me she is tired of being fondled".  In WA a group is trying to sue the state for mismanagement of salmon b/c the Orcas have said they are suffering.  They are waiting for a judge to say the ORCA can sue.  .....wait.....and a dif set of nut is thinking of sueing on behalf of the salmon since its not fair if we save the orcas they will terrorize and eat the poor fish.  Yes....really that insane.  

Monday thenold retired neighbor who was doing the trans offered (for small fee) to just run car on his lift, do trans, and get going for me.  I said wth...i wont ever get to devote much time to it.  Called today when i was on way home from meeting (4.5 hr drive) said hed been bombing it around and was gonna pull carb since it felt really rich.  Sat for 10 years so be carb is icky.  Brand new holley 750.  I feel it should be a 650.  He was going to jet it back and fiddle some more.   

20181112_152707.jpg

• Like 1

Time to get the Christmas lights tested and up on the fence. Much nicer to do it now while it's not freezing !

• Sad 1

Then these 2 ...  took guy 2 weeks to get them caught.  Shut door of trailer and said he was going right to the butcher!  Them horns are scary!

Few nice days last week so spread some manure too.  So far so good for early winter.

(Order of pics nevers seems to jive)

20181108_065309.jpg

20181107_143616.jpg

20181107_194414.jpg

7 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Man.....Nov 15 tomorrow.  Thanksgiving in a week.  How does that happen so fast?  Was JUST 1st football game and day of school 4 5 days ago.  

Went to my State Farm Bureau meeting.  I am on board for our county.  Pretty good turn out this year.  Had guy from pro Ag law firm speak on animal law.  New thing is sueing on BEHAFE of the animal.  Like, "since the cow cant talk i am bringing the dairyman to court on her behalf....b/c she told me she is tired of being fondled".  In WA a group is trying to sue the state for mismanagement of salmon b/c the Orcas have said they are suffering.  They are waiting for a judge to say the ORCA can sue.  .....wait.....and a dif set of nut is thinking of sueing on behalf of the salmon since its not fair if we save the orcas they will terrorize and eat the poor fish.  Yes....really that insane.  

Monday thenold retired neighbor who was doing the trans offered (for small fee) to just run car on his lift, do trans, and get going for me.  I said wth...i wont ever get to devote much time to it.  Called today when i was on way home from meeting (4.5 hr drive) said hed been bombing it around and was gonna pull carb since it felt really rich.  Sat for 10 years so be carb is icky.  Brand new holley 750.  I feel it should be a 650.  He was going to jet it back and fiddle some more.   

20181112_152707.jpg

650 should be plenty unless you have big valves/big cam. 750 gonna be a little boggy.

9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

20181112_152707.jpg

Hope to see pictures of it cleaned up and cruising soon! 🙂

On 11/16/2018 at 5:48 AM, new guy said:

650 should be plenty unless you have big valves/big cam. 750 gonna be a little boggy.

Yeah just a warmed up 327 with mild stall th350 an 3.08 gears.  I bought the carb new for a 427 that was really wild i was going to put in the car 20 years ago.  I then traded a guy the unassembled 427 for his runner 327.  He put motor in his 67 camero 4sp and it ran high 10s right out of the gate.  I picked good parts apparently!  The neighbor was gonna put in smallest jets he has and rods and see if he could get the bog out.  I hope i get some Christmas money from someone.  Shop locally has tuning dyno and I've heard great reviews about the guys work.

10 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Then these 2 ...  took guy 2 weeks to get them caught.  Shut door of trailer and said he was going right to the butcher!  Them horns are scary!

Few nice days last week so spread some manure too.  So far so good for early winter.

(Order of pics nevers seems to jive)

20181108_065309.jpg

20181107_143616.jpg

20181107_194414.jpg

Neighbor farm had a small herd of long horns that excaped a few years ago. They ended up shooting them all as they couldn’t get them back in and got into people’s yards and where afraid of someone getting hurt. Wouldn’t want to get stuck with one of those. 

11 hours ago, new guy said:

Had a pickup in high school that I dropped a small block 400 in with a 600 Holley

A buddy of mine was playing with a 402 big block with a 750 double pumper so we had to try it on my 400. Just way too much carb for it.

Wished I never sold that truck☹️

vet was here on Monday for herd exam, said one of his clients is shooting every other heifer calf. they are almost worthless around here.

• Sad 2

Went to outla......Inlaws for Thanksgiving.  Good food, awkward racist, bigoted SIL from town all 3 showed up.  Its disgusting to me that b/c you claim  D on you ballot they think ots ok for them to belittle others and put down anything that dont fit in their box of ignorance.  Open minded folk.......you know, open like a tailgate, things go in easy but more falls out easier.

Just ruined my day of thankfulness unfortunately.  But thats is my fault since I let it.  But when your 5' away and they are "whispering" duragator name about me and my beliefs...I got no patience.  I sat in the kitchen visiting with the old goofy guy next door they invited over.  Time better spent than trying to articulate arguments with close minded and hatefilled....females.

So, whens the Christmas party honey? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Gotta shedule a "missed milker shift."

Sorry bad people can ruin a good day...

• Thanks 1

Way to go, as hard as it is sometimes saying anything just verifys in they're minds what they allready think.  What You did proves them wrong, shame They have no clue.

You are right about the carb being too large.  A know it was bought for a different engine and was right for the 427.  A 600 is a good size for a 327, especially with a 3:07 gear.  You need all the low end you can get and a smaller carb will deliver that much better.  Not sure jetting will be an answer since carb is jetted for the air that goes through the plates, but time will tell.  

It is inspiring to see how You keep and show Your faith, interact with others and are raising those awesome girls.   Thanks for taking Us along!!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Went to outla......Inlaws for Thanksgiving.  Good food, awkward racist, bigoted SIL from town all 3 showed up.  Its disgusting to me that b/c you claim  D on you ballot they think ots ok for them to belittle others and put down anything that dont fit in their box of ignorance.  Open minded folk.......you know, open like a tailgate, things go in easy but more falls out easier.

Just ruined my day of thankfulness unfortunately.  But thats is my fault since I let it.  But when your 5' away and they are "whispering" duragator name about me and my beliefs...I got no patience.  I sat in the kitchen visiting with the old goofy guy next door they invited over.  Time better spent than trying to articulate arguments with close minded and hatefilled....females.

Yeah.  The family you marry into.  

Happy Thanksgiving Troy, 

• Like 1

You can pick your friends but not your family.😖

We went to friends for Thanksgiving😁

I think you should find a nice 650 Holley with an electric choke for your 327. That 750 dumping open drowns the motor in air(kinda like drinking from the coffepot instead of the cup). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, new guy said:

You can pick your friends but not your family.😖

We went to friends for Thanksgiving😁

I think you should find a nice 650 Holley with an electric choke for your 327. That 750 dumping open drowns the motor in air(kinda like drinking from the coffepot instead of the cup). 

Oh and took kids for ride yesterday.  Went about 20-25 miles to friends and back to show off ;)  . Runs good at 500-2000 if slooowly tipping in the throttle.  Stomping will kill it, and fast flipping it in will shudder and spudder bad.  He dont want to change plugs yet (he has a cleaner so he did that, they are 20yo with 50 miles) since he dont want to foul new ones.  Def fuel related, smells rich too.  Put in 63 jets on secons and a new acc pump.  No dif.  Guy or 2 I've spoke with think it carb but not just b/c its a 750 since you can jet it down.  But yes a 650 be crisper b/c it is just s mild 327.  If running 5-7k all day yep 750 be good but street a 650 be better.  He took it apart and thought everything looked good.  I am temped to do it myself.  He has momentary lapses and says funny things sometimes....  But it sat for 20 years, I think some passages for boosters may be plugged or or dia on seconds bad.... I forgot timing he has it at but it sounded close.  New distributor too boot, pulling 12hg of V at idle, I dont want to disrespect him ya know.  Hes forgot more than I know I bet.  I am a bit thinking he has the ports on carb wrong, you know, the pvc to ported and dist to manifold type stuff.  So if V signal is wrong that aint helping.  He gots buddy with a 650 Holley on a running small block he wants to pop on just to elim the carb or confirm so we will see  

On 11/21/2018 at 10:49 AM, pt756 said:

vet was here on Monday for herd exam, said one of his clients is shooting every other heifer calf. they are almost worthless around here.

Just read they think in 2 years there will be another shortage of heifers, because people are either breeding to beef breeds or not raising them.

I feel your pain Troy. My family's Thanksgiving turned into a real $--- show. I really can care less if i see that particular aunt and uncle and their family again after my Grandmother's estate is settled. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

Just read they think in 2 years there will be another shortage of heifers, because people are either breeding to beef breeds or not raising them.

I am afraid that some of the really good producers who are turning a profit now yet are still breeding to sexed semen. They have been trying to capitalize on obtaining as much market share as they can. Unfortunately I see the consolidation ramping up more :(

• Sad 1

Troy, I haven’t followed your car/carb issue so this topic could have been covered  I assume this car has a brake booster so how does that check out ?

• Like 1

Im wondering if your power  valve is ok? I know holley power valves have caused me a few problems over the years. One sneeze or hiccup and they can tear the diaphragm and then run rich all the time. Im sure you know this already but thought maybe worth mentioning. And i agree if you can pick up a smaller carb probably help you out as well. Too bad you arent closer , think i have one or two sitting around. Would give one to you.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2018 at 5:59 PM, TroyDairy said:

That's why I stayed home to watch the dog and prune raspberries !

• Like 1

well been a bit.  Ran over my phone Saturday morning with loader.  Been nice and peaceful actually.

prices still goofy low, seeing reports and 1+1 don't always = 2 it feels like.  Word on st is DeLaval sold a bigger dairy 4 MORE 106 rotaries and his plan is 36k at 1 site and a powder plant of his own in ID.  We'll see.  but if no one else is gonna milk them.....

Did our qrtly meeting yesterday.  Should of just went to a bar.  Been better use of $.  I already knew the situation, didn't need refresher.  Well, pray for dairyman.  Hoping for a change isn't working and planning for change is hard (impossible near) when the next qrt don't look any better.  They say make your own blue cheese.  ok to add to the....20 plus NW dairies cheese in the $10/# aslie at the store.  Sound like homer there...

Frustrating....

On fun side, neighbor swapped a 650 AFB onto the Nova from a running small block.  Says it runs a little better but still not crisp.  I have not went and seen it.  He was gonna adj a few things more and put dist on bench.  Its a new elec Summit rip-off of a MSD model, he wanted to look at it good since he thinks something with the mech advance is not right.  It came with set of springs to fiddle with too.  It pulls 12" vac at idle so pretty good imo for the cam.  Man it idles smooth, like a muscle car should, for the cam.  Nice steady 500 rpm chop to it.  And with the 1500-1600 stall converter slips into gear clean as well.  No flump when the shifter is pulled.

• Sad 1

Winter is here.  35 and 15mph wind today.  But sunny.  Supposed to be like this all week, lets hope!  By weekend big snow in hills and chance here in Lo lands.  Tomorrow supposed to be 25 at night, fricking cold for us.  Have to keep eye on scrapers and separator.  

Took them to lighted parade sat night.  They had good time.  It was 40 n chillllly.  But pizza and blankets kept us cozy

20181201_163632.jpg

• Like 4

SOB....futures have went even lower last few days.  So sickening.  Beyond frustrating at this point.  At least we've had nice cool breezy sunny weather.  Mountains need snow bad though.  No resorts even open yet....generally it about the week before Thanksgiving. 

Still toying with another biz.  Did a lot of phone calling and I may have already sold more than he did last year!  Keep telling guys to hold their horses....or donate to the cause ;).  Someone said "oh then you may not get paid".  Which I replied "so like now but I CAN have the law force someone to pay.  Now I'm just hosed "  sounds tough..... :(

a lot of things to consider for sure.  Risk vs reward I suppose.  Now my work is lacking in the reward dept.

• Sad 1