life in our corner

On 10/1/2018 at 5:37 PM, ZachGrant said:

That's my favorite body style too. I can't remember if I've posted them up here before but I've got a couple now- 93 k1500 that I swapped a 6.0 into which is my daily driver, and a 96 k3500 that I built a 454 for and use to tow with. A year or so back I sold my 98 with a 12v cummins which is what I replaced with the 4 door.

IMG_20130503_170234_213_zps520238e0.JPG

20161117_145004.jpg

20160804_120739.jpg

I had a 93 identical to yours! Body rotted out with 75(?)k miles😡😱 20 year old truck barely got 4000 miles per year, shame really- interior was perfect still

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well crap.  Went to look how he was at 9.  He didn't make it.  Called vet....figured liver was taxed with that infection.  It grew fast vs yesterday.   Well the stress on liver then stress of getting

Merry Christmas to you guys too..... Me and the oldest are having a nice evening watching "I Love Lucy" on Amazon prime.  Her teacher plays a episode 2x a week during lunch break.  She just crack

I was 16 even when I left.  So it wt 15k even.  A load of heifers is 28 to 29000 so not way dif but def different.  On the plus it doesnt move around when your driving!  I will say I would not repeat

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

I had a 93 identical to yours! Body rotted out with 75(?)k miles😡😱 20 year old truck barely got 4000 miles per year, shame really- interior was perfect still

Yikes. Mine has got 215k on it. It's spent it's whole like in western South Dakota except the 6 years I lived in North Dakota. They didn't use much for salt here until a few years back. Now they use that crap liquid and it's starting to rust a bit. Really aggrivates a guy.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

Yikes. Mine has got 215k on it. It's spent it's whole like in western South Dakota except the 6 years I lived in North Dakota. They didn't use much for salt here until a few years back. Now they use that crap liquid and it's starting to rust a bit. Really aggrivates a guy.

Here they started with cal chloride too.  Some salt i guess as well.  We always figure if its cold and snowy in 60hr its wet and pouring to wash salt and gunk off.  I have never personally seen a gmt400 rust.  Seen pics but never close up.  I guess in BC they use alot of salt.  These years rust cab corners out.  Tons of rigs are from there and here almost all get psi washed and rust painted at selling dealer.  Maily newer car and trucks and no damage is done yet.  Painting just stops the corrosion some.  Mine got under coated....i wish i could of seen it before it was done.  Came from MB so i doubt much salt there.

Goot tip on sprays dale.  But we done spray anything but roundup at 4 5 weeks 99% of years.  So thats not it.  He grabbed some ears to send to Mycogen to see their thoughts 

Done with everything!  Pumping manure now..

Fogot if i posted these.

Promised kids wed camp if we were done with silage before their 2 days off school for teacher stuff.  Went inland 4hr with friends.  Very nice time, 60 and cool.  Some neat stuff around that area.

20181010_123103.jpg

20181003_114229.jpg

20181005_081508.jpg

20181005_085553.jpg

20181006_071154.jpg

20181006_072028.jpg

20181006_075056.jpg

20181005_080824.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been awhile, nothing exciting going on I suppose.  Wife noticed that butter at costco was $2+ a pound last fall.  Now...$3.25 per.  Frikin sickening.  They pay less than sell for higher.  I know, thats biz.  Just frustrating when producers always get short end of deal.  She said normal safeway store places are $4 something a #.  And milk prices continue to flounder.

Took kids to get heifers friday.  Stayed at cousins who has sim age girl.  Nice part day away.  

She found Loretta the one she won fit and show with this summer.  We seen other kids calfs too but they were not a reminiscence of kids!

View west from calf ladies.  That the mainland across the channel there.  Buuut takes 45 min N to get to it then another 30 to get to that point! 

Guy we rented land from is developing it.  Said we could have the shop.  So....

Hailed solids here....below/s of us we lease 80ac.  This is right down middle it actually is a county road bed.  Was given up in late 30s when they hit the peat ground.  Owner finally in the 90s filled in approach from state highway to keep hunters off his land.   Trees are just on edge.  30mph field road!

20181013_102627.jpg

20181013_102734.jpg

20181012_143533.jpg

20181013_103825.jpg

20181015_134651.jpg

20181016_141819.jpg

Well...cme dropped 15 to 30 cents.  What a kick in the nuts.  Early sept looked like some light and now smack.  Usda says "sorry we over guessed 17000 hd for may and june too."  So every month outta wack.  Sales up and storage same or up.  We cant catch a break.  AU is culling b/c of dry conditions.  Friends in Netherlands said they were dry this summer and this fall their corn looked like crap.  Most were selling of cows since they wont have enough feed.  So frustrating....we juust got new appraisal and are thinking of refi for some cash.  But not sure if worth it anymore.

The Christian Rest home mom works at takes few folks for rides once an a while.  A old dairyman always ask to see our cows.  So gal asked and we said SURE.  She swings in 2 or 3x a month just stops by feed alleys there and moseys by manure tank and puts back out 🙂

This is our new home if things dont switch.  Anyone have hook ups out back?

Bad cough this morn.  Dad needed help going to dump with insulation and crap from shop dads taking down.

20181019_115339.jpg

20181017_130257.jpg

20181023_092529.jpg

Troy - Hope it don't come to that but if it does, come on down, got full hookup with 50 amp service in back yard!  Just heard last night local big dairy (600 cows) is selling out in 2 weeks.  Really sad, 4th generation milking and a big name around here.

jerry

6 hours ago, pt756 said:

this lat months milk check was better if it would only hold but with the cheese price dropping I wonder where it will end up. I look on just priemers website ahead a month just no let up in the herds,

Wow its unbelievable the sales i see in M_W and new england.  How can productivity go up?  The the usda and "ph whoops, may ahd 17000 less cows than we thought.  Sorry".  So can you trust anything?

Prices off more today.  SOB...

We are looking at a local lime/gyp guys operation.  Wants to retire, looks like good biz.  Have to sort things out to see if worth the change. This milking thing.....i am really losing hope.  

we sold 4 decent cows on dairy sale recently. all milked 75 to 80 pounds, dhi , low cell count , barely got over cull price neighbor bought 2 of them. 575 and 685, wants some more like that, then we sold a cull cow small teat injury. she brought 598. trying to sell at a dairy sale just doesn't pay, you are competing with 2 or 3 complete herds. guy told me today a big herd went thru recently, said they sorted out 50 better cows and the rest went for kill. probably just a rumor, buy I have heard the last half of most herds go for kill. springing heifers 8 to 11 hundred.

This should work......

Brother and dad got shop down.  Bummed trailer to get trusses home.  None of us are confident it is worth while but got it now.  Going to cover sawdust pile.

20181026_142743.jpg

• Like 1

USDA is a best guess situation. Their hind sight isnt 20/20 either...

At some point in time the market will figure out they killed too many cows. The longer prices stay down the more energy will be built up in price and the better the upside will be. The question is when and who will be left standing.

I dont envy your situation at all. Just remember it is darkest before the dawn...

• Thanks 2
16 hours ago, new guy said:

USDA is a best guess situation. Their hind sight isnt 20/20 either...

At some point in time the market will figure out they killed too many cows. The longer prices stay down the more energy will be built up in price and the better the upside will be. The question is when and who will be left standing.

I dont envy your situation at all. Just remember it is darkest before the dawn...

Yeah yeah.......you obviously dont watch the futures market anymore!  :)

your my roll model newguy...well but the mopars issue 

look gold lined hydro hose!

20181029_134239.jpg

Copper n motors....$50 bucks.

Aug birthday gift, bball hoop.  Made em did it out!  I cut the cement.  Got it poured in rain this morning.

Neighbor pounded in a raspberry post too deep..4'...hit our association line.  I got wet, its pouring.  Why do farmers always end up fixing things?  Dug up with other guys backhoe.  Then called local construct guy (kin and neighbors) since i didnt have any 4" parts.  Got break fixed then broke saddle tee off that went to home by break....i went home soaked and said send berry guy the bill.  I assume they fixed it.  We can turn 1/2 system off thankfully.  So we had water only 4 homes were off.

20181101_123549.jpg

Forgot pic....got hoop up.  She's practiced few times already do good use og $50 bucks I guess... ;)

Nothing to exciting, washing things up for winter, rain back to normal, cooling off quick, Kids growing, debt growing :(, prices still poor and no light anymore.  We are seriously in talks with guy who is retiring who does totally dif biz but Ag related.  Will see how it goes next meeting with them.  Possibly alot of potential in it but trying to navigate a new venture is touch when you have no money!  Not sure if we will just sell cows or keep going for while.  Sales are pooooor prices so selling now is not gonna make sense $ wise.  But losing more and more is getting reaaaaallll old.  Seen NDPO web site today.  Some good ideas but they just cannot get traction it seems like.  Dairymen=stubborn, disorganized fools it sure feels like lately.  Who else would keep sinking this long?  Any restaurant or shop or office would quit if they lost for 2 years straight.  Asining for sure......

• Sad 2

yes and now I see the futures fall below 15 bucks, as I said before sold them 4 cows on dairy sale average 530 dollars. they use to bring in the 1000 dollar plus range, cull prices have really dropped along with calf prices, I see a guy in our area offering heifer calves for 25 dollars you pick up, with these small groups of cows we try and sell you cant compete with the whole herds being offered every week. why buy ours when they can have the pick of a whole herd.

19 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Dairymen=stubborn, disorganized fools it sure feels like lately.  Who else would keep sinking this long?  Any restaurant or shop or office would quit if they lost for 2 years straight.  Asining for sure......

Well, yes, and I'm sure we all know the answer to that question already. When a restaurant or shop owner leaves work at the end of the day, he goes home. With most of us dairymen, our work is our home. Sell the cows and farm, and you're also out of a home. Many times (and in my case, also) a home that has been in the family for well over 100 years. Selling is a TOUGH decision. A tough decision that Laura and I have considered constantly for at least  4 or 5 years now, but we have always found deep-seated reasons (not business related) why we both want to keep going. So Laura works off the farm, full-time, on the farm, full-time, and we put the kids to work before and after school. In our case, we can't just sell the cows and easily continue on the farm. Without the milk check, we haven't enough land to produce enough crop income to continue to make the bank payments. And, right now, selling the cows would not produce enough cash to even make a dent in the mortgage. If I went to work full-time, off the farm, it would take a miracle to be able to land a job that pays well enough to make the mortgage payment. It's a tough thing to constantly think about. Not to mention the fact that we are getting older and tired. But we'd both like to hang on for another 10 years or so to at least offer to the children a chance at the land.

We are trimming some of the fat today. We are selling 18 heifers that are eating us out of house and home. The buyer is taking his choice as dairy replacements, and what he doesn't want will go to the feed lot. No better offers out there. Not yet sure what we will get price wise, but it will be cull price, not the $1800/head we could have received four years ago. We milk 50 cows, and our heifer count is at 39, so we have way too many heifers anyway.

God bless you and your family, TD. We'll pray that He continues to lead you in the right direction.

Keith-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I hear you Keith.  The "dumb" part is why do we want to hope our kids farm?  Dont we love them? ;) Position them into this cycle of insanity?  I wasnt a year ago but now am starting to come to the idea we are going to be like chicken and hog guys.  The big buyers are going to break the coops by keeping prices low and shuddering dairies.  Then the market will be alway in a tight range of a % for the producer and only with 5000 hd.  We simple cannot milk that many locally efficiently.  No tracts of land could support it.  And reg....the citiiots love regs but dont get it is huge killer to smaller/mid guys since we cant afford the cost of implementing them.  We'll see.......better to plan a plan than hope and wish

4 hours ago, pt756 said:

so now what I am seeing is a lot of complete heifer dispersals all sizes

https://schuil.com/

See these large (old school families in dairy) dairies for sale.  Turn key for few of them.  The jersey one and the Hilarides are turn key and a lot of moo----lah.

http://www.overlandstockyard.com/sales

Big sale yard in Central CA.  See upcoming and past?  How is the milk market still full?  There is one not listed there, he sold 25000 dairy cows.  70% went to beef.  Thats the normal %.  Local 1200 Jersey guy had cattle broker walk herd today.  Said they have had enough.  Loooong time CA dairyman and 3rd gen is just seeing what Gpa built going down the drain.  Co-op field rep told us if everyone who says they are getting out at year end does our plant will be short a lot of loads.  Just never end it feels like.  Today the CME was still a crap show...

Then this news...sighhhhh

https://www.milkbusiness.com/article/all-milk-prices-projected-to-rise-to-19-by-2026?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTXpjeU1tWTFPREl6TWpVMyIsInQiOiJ2K1praFlNXC8xZVg4OVlVN05sVTMwSzhFK1FyZTZTeTNLdFdDd2JGanZNaEVRZ3c4YmhrdmIrWWlVR0tpcVVsZk1WNWlZdDJwekwyMk1hTlFrZytLVDk1UUdcL2NGV1VFREd0dmw5V05DY3R5TU1uNGZWXC9sSGlhOHNPOXc4UWdRNCJ9