life in our corner

TroyDairy

Control the things you can control.  Not much you can do about the rest.

I wonder if the dairy industry is just the leader in the downward trend in ag right now. Another big crop coming along with a trade war to screw up the markets. There are many in your same position. I dont think any amount of management short of a crystal ball could have done any better than you have.

Keep your head up. We're pullin for ya

Seen this in town.  Cool.  Looked nicely home built.

The green one is rarely off the cattle trailer.  Thought neat pic.  Love gmt-400 pickups.

If cats were calfs wed be rich.  Moved straw and another set showed up.   Kids love it.  Like 3 batches this month and their fav cat appears preg.  

Took a hour to watch kids sing songs from their vacation bible school.  Good program this year, girls were looking fwd every evening to next day.  230 kid avg!

Bag it....went for 3 nights a hr south camping.  Showers...kids like this place, pool, games, movie night etc.  Lots of Canadians though....its their holiday july 1 so i figured.

20180628_130711.jpg

20180626_175818.jpg

20180629_080534.jpg

20180629_113405.jpg

20180630_154533.jpg

• Like 1

Pray the markets reverse for Dairy !

Pray the Lord gives you perseverance and wisdom to do what He has planned for you.

In Cali. IMHO , there is basically  one crop keeping its head above water but its having to swim harder to do it.

Between planting the fence row to fence row  and the precarious of markets and trade , I see it as very close to a cliff.

If Almonds & Pistachios hit the wall Cali Ag will be in deep manure. IMHO , its the only crop holding Ca. Ag. up

Tony 

• Thanks 3

Practice...of a better sport imho.

The 5yo is "judging" em.  "It's the cow show olympics dad."  She has a dairy "cow book" magazine, timer, pen, and paper with tally marks on it.

20180703_174919.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Frikin trailer brakes...bad mag then figured drum surface where mag catches bad...blah blah.  How no one has sued a electric brake co into the abyssis beyond me.  Poor wiring and design I think 

Top dressing corn.  Then going back over with water.

Acct said hang on.  Man, last 3 weeks have been neg neg neg price wise.  All the trade drama wt heavy on yahoo traders.  Had friend from ON over for supper.  Works for gas co.  3 wk vacation, 40/h, a pention that will pay more than i make now.....0 real responsibility, 40h weeks.  Wth are we doing I sometime wonder?

20180704_135044.jpg

20180706_094100.jpg

36 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Frikin trailer brakes...bad mag then figured drum surface where mag catches bad...blah blah.  How no one has sued a electric brake co into the abyssis beyond me.  Poor wiring and design I think 

20180704_135044.jpg

Bane of my existence trailerwise too...i should replace all four on my trailer drums and all... Marginal on a good day.

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Top dressing corn.  Then going back over with water.

Acct said hang on.  Man, last 3 weeks have been neg neg neg price wise.  All the trade drama wt heavy on yahoo traders.  Had friend from ON over for supper.  Works for gas co.  3 wk vacation, 40/h, a pention that will pay more than i make now.....0 real responsibility, 40h weeks.  Wth are we doing I sometime wonder?

20180704_135044.jpg

20180706_094100.jpg

I made the switch almost three years ago, still get to run tractors for anyone. Was the only fun part left when I quit. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mader656 said:

Bane of my existence trailerwise too...i should replace all four on my trailer drums and all... Marginal on a good day.

Buddy at trailer shop said just get new sets.  Cheape than him diagnosing them.  But....300 for drums and 240 for back plate and all hardware per wheel.  I never knew drum could be fine but surface it mags to has to be perfect for mag to work.  Was 1400 for hydos and we said nah.  Should of.  Like 1800 to upgrade now and install

35 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Buddy at trailer shop said just get new sets.  Cheape than him diagnosing them.  But....300 for drums and 240 for back plate and all hardware per wheel.  I never knew drum could be fine but surface it mags to has to be perfect for mag to work.  Was 1400 for hydos and we said nah.  Should of.  Like 1800 to upgrade now and install

That would explain my sketchy brakes....

last couple herds sold around here barely averaged 1000 dollars,  neighbor has a brother in Indiana , plans on quitting but realizes that he probably wont get even 800 dollars for his herd averaging over 80 pounds a day. wonder how much banks are giving for collateral on cows lately.

8 hours ago, pt756 said:

last couple herds sold around here barely averaged 1000 dollars,  neighbor has a brother in Indiana , plans on quitting but realizes that he probably wont get even 800 dollars for his herd averaging over 80 pounds a day. wonder how much banks are giving for collateral on cows lately.

$1300 is Rabo.  Farm Credit is $1100.  Rabo does 75%...but thankfully have never adjusted in 8 years we've been there.  Farm Credit has...put few out.  Farm Credit here is convinced we are not making $ b/c we are bad managers.  The world markets and prices are not the issue.  Frustrating is nice word to use.  No sales out here lately.  Big sale barn inland springers avg 1100 other day.  We are selling 50 60 J and XJ heifers from 6m to 20m.  Have more hfr than cows and less check than bills.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

$1300 is Rabo.  Farm Credit is $1100.  Rabo does 75%...but thankfully have never adjusted in 8 years we've been there.  Farm Credit has...put few out.  Farm Credit here is convinced we are not making $ b/c we are bad managers.  The world markets and prices are not the issue.  Frustrating is nice word to use.  No sales out here lately.  Big sale barn inland springers avg 1100 other day.  We are selling 50 60 J and XJ heifers from 6m to 20m.  Have more hfr than cows and less check than bills.  

I love how these experts can pick out the good managers from the bad just by looking at numbers? 

I’ve always said farming is more than numbers, a lot of little stuff going wrong at the same time can throw a good month or even a good year out the window. 

Walking a tightrope all the time isn’t easy 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I love how these experts can pick out the good managers from the bad just by looking at numbers? 

I’ve always said farming is more than numbers, a lot of little stuff going wrong at the same time can throw a good month or even a good year out the window. 

Walking a tightrope all the time isn’t easy 

Ah, yes, but if you're a GOOD manager, nothing will ever go wrong! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .......

Keith-

• Haha 1

so now yesterday talking to cousin recent expansion 4oo cows probably the last few years, always good milk and enough land to feed all of the animals, we were at the local plow day, he said sent the heifers out to a custom raiser and put dry cows there and more milk cows in dry cow barn, I am sure they are very highly leveraged, another rneighbor 4 to 5 hundred cows just sold all the heifers and calves off, I understand he was having animals raised out west. use to be a hundred calf hutches out there now maybe 15, was told breedeing everything to beef, seems like everybody is trying to do something to cut costs, the one guy I can see by the time you pay a  custom grower you have 18 hundred dollars in them, now I saw him sitting at local sale barn buying replacements, that too comes with a huge risk. on the brighter side  a local guy built a 8 pedal tractor, kind of like the one in kinze museum , and they hooked on to a 2 bottom plow and they could pull it although not very far, took bil along never seen anything like that before , the builder used a farmall b for the tractor part. problem he has now is I am sur he wants to have it in shows or parades and he is told that the insurance will be close to 3 thousand a year.so lately it has just been at a lot of Mennonite functions.

Here 75%+ send heifers inland and 10% sell calfs and buy when needed.  Too exspensive to raise here nowdays.  Rabo bank supper monday featured their super analyst gal.  Sigh....at least the prime rib was good....prices....a but more bologna 

Mine(lf in pic) had friends little girl over.  Good thing her mom packed the car seat!

Got springers Tuesday and seen this by old shed.

20180709_145714.jpg

20180710_130809.jpg

8 hours ago, SJH said:

When in doubt plant berries something to ponder on the side .

I honked tuesday!

Yeah, several berry guys here are leaving fruit to rot.  NO buyers.  Freezers full of 2016-2017 crop yet.  They need .40c ish and pay for lo grade is .15-.20c.  Mid grade, no one will take and IQF is better but you think next year buyer will pay when they hear fruit was left on canes?  Bunch got cut off already from processors, right at peak of season.  Going to be a mess.  Like I say, When was last time you ate a raspberry when not in season?.  They have added at leasety 1000s here for high end market in 7 years.  Where will it end up.  As a dairy guy I know over supply and the heck it makes.  They have had a long run of decent markets.  Sounds like Russia is dumping fruit on the market from 2017 crop for pennies on the dollar as well.  I heard yesterday blueberry buyers are cutting offers like mad.  Crop looks good across whole country.  Gonna hurt our county Ag infrastructure with milk and berry down hard.  Know a 1 man shop who has 30-40k on books from berry guy repairs this spring.  Never had that in years he said.  Getting nervous...

I still think ag as a whole is circling the drain. Hopefully dairy has bottomed but crops are sinking fast. Some experts say we are near the 30 year low cycle in commodities. Gonna be tough times for the row crop guys too.