life in our corner

TroyDairy

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/hvo/6041347343.html

This one too..........you need to change your interest there.  Shorten it up some.....

20170408_083221_zpspzxpomwe.jpg

Must be saturday......I hate this style of chain.  Too light imo....lost a cotter pin on connector link and boom.  Only 6 months old.  We had a 4 bar chunk and dealer had a 3 bar chunk.....got it fixed up in about a hour.

Then needed to hurry to town for the Youth Fair.  Only for 8th grade to kindergarten, they have big kids help little ones fit and show.  Kinda fun practice/intro to 4H.  They did some farm tours and craft things.  Dissected a calf and made halters.  Today they showed, she did good.  Calf stepped on her foot and she fell but jumped right up and kept on!  Got 5 of 10 in her group.  Then they all get a ag related prize/gift thing.  Got a ribbon but at least trophies only for top 2.  She really liked it.  We were planning to do the real fair this Aug.  Got a calf picked out.  Going to be in the same club I was.  Uncle started it 51 years ago.  Cuz now leads it.

20170408_103127_1491673377380_zpsrbaizll

show pic makes me smile. i remember the first year our daughter showed- with a senior calf that hadn't been dehorned yet. calf got theresa right in the ribs with a horn on show day, but she kept on showing with tears in her eyes. bystanders commented on her being a trooper.

by the time theresa was in high school, she had built up a herd of about 20 animals from the 2 calves i gave her initially. she was winning showmanship championships, and blue ribbons with her animals at county and state fairs. she also was on the national champion dairy bowl team at louisville in 1998. fond memories.

14 hours ago, hillskinefarms said:Troy, someone doesn't look very happy getting stuck doing herd health.:(

Yeah, I saw that and chuckled.

10 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

LOL,  sudden bout of shy when the vet was talking to her!

Looks like she didn't like what the vet had to say,  

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, TroyDairy said:

Did she go on to a job in dairy Bill?  Hows leg by the way?

no, theresa is working in a non-farm-related job in texas.

leg still has a mostly open wound. doesn't hurt. dressing change 2x/day. next appt in syracuse on friday. we are checking on more aggressive treatment options to get it dealt with.

20170411_104456_zpsdp0edbgt.jpg

This may not end well.....

20170411_114928_zpsmemniy7t.jpg

We took down 1 more bay (20' ones!!) of the collapsed barn from Feb.  Went way harder than it should of.  We are using the good rafters as headers to even out the post (it was 7-11-12.2-8.3' pattern) and then tie in properly 12' OC rafters over my head here to add 22 stalls.  See that one above dad?  (pulling joice hangers, 6p nails!) We were so proud friday, got both headers in and stood back to admire our labors....   Then, see the BIG crack in the wall just to the lf of the post?  genius...  To the rt of the post we are cutting the wall to open it for the cow alley so the wall will become a stall divider.  The crack will leave the post sitting on 30" of loose wall, still the scrap tractor hits it......good grief.  SO, we took another rafter and cut it longer and moved the post to the Lf of the crack now.  Nothing else to do.....   If it quits raining, feels like Nov here today, we can set up for forms to pour wall and curbs.

On 4/11/2017 at 8:07 AM, hillskinefarms said:

Troy, someone doesn't look very happy getting stuck doing herd health.:(

She is paying attention to what the vet is doing while dad is playing on his phone.

20170411_142844_zpsv7dx1sza.jpg

Oh the humamity....  needed to move for barn work.  Thinking she will be parts.  Have 2 pages of missing components now.  

20170413_105355_zpso7k9bh0o.jpg

Ace and got the alleys cut in.  Had it ready for forms by 4.  Will try Friday to get them.  We may pump it.... $$ but can figure how else to get cement in stalls with walls and stuff.  Like to pour one big day then be done.

20170413_154804_zpsnelb6bgz.jpg

Contractor says "sure you can borrow forms, should be on trailer, just get it.".  Not today....75'x4' wall so lots of boards.  Shoulder will remember this tomorrow....

Troy I wish that 1066 was in my neighborhood, I would have most of the missing pieces to resurrect her 

13 minutes ago, bitty said:

Troy I wish that 1066 was in my neighborhood, I would have most of the missing pieces to resurrect her 

I hear you.  It is really a tight tractor.  But 0 fuel system, and I mean 0.  No head, intake, exahust, turbo, oil pan, rt hood, lower side hoods, frt bolster is hanging by 2 old little bolts, all bracket to hold hoods on are gone too.  The back half is really complete and tight.  Late one too, plate is on rt of trans.  ISO couplers etc.  All handles and 3pt is there.  Thinking more and more to try for uncles 966BS and swap the fenders etc to make his 966 a NICE work clothes 966.  Like Brian Longs units.  Be perfect for tedding, moving reels, some spreading etc.

I have most of that.... The way it goes . Lol

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Load the parts up and head north west! Not too bad of drive out to Troy's

I was just wishing he could bring the family out here for vacation. That's a long way to truck a pile of parts that heavy.

Although I contemplated a 450 row crop that was in Washington state until the transportation sunk in to my thick head, then I found one only half as far across the country, but only half as nice shape though. Lol

gents, believe me that when your talking transporting I have been down this road. It can be done reasonable, you all just need to get the Red Power Pony Express going.

first someone needs to send it a bit West, then they take it to Red Power Round UP, then it gets swapped like a shady deal in the parking lot and someone else takes it further west. and so forth and so forth.

2 hours ago, bitty said:

I was just wishing he could bring the family out here for vacation. That's a long way to truck a pile of parts that heavy.

Although I contemplated a 450 row crop that was in Washington state until the transportation sunk in to my thick head, then I found one only half as far across the country, but only half as nice shape though. Lol

How about you come out here?  Be easier to haul a single tractor home than me lugging all them parts East!

There is a local guys up the road who i am sure has all the parts.  I have not asked him officially but most have said he will want a pretty penny for it all.  He has his own addic.....collection and flips 56 and 66 series tractors as well.

Tim we could take you camping.  I'll set up a rv etc and we can see some of the state for a week or so.

I know this is off color for you but I came across this early this afternoon in an old album of Easter and Christmas cards from the early 1900's. Couldn't help but think of you dairy guys and gals getting things done. 95E61935-9370-4DBA-9719-CEEDD5756CCA_zps