life in our corner

TroyDairy

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

As far as preg checking a vet should be able to do that in a day. I know on the big sale barn days the vet checks a lot of feeder heifers to be open and some to be breedable. Big sale days they will check close to 1800 head of females. 

Thats fine^^^^ but they have a hard time giving you a due date. Calving a cow with little to no dry time is awful hard on a cow and shortens up their lifespan. Feeding a dry cow too long eats at the pocket book. It can be a mess if the breeding dates are inaccurate or missing. That mess adds up to a bunch of $$$.

Some vets are spot on for time and some are hugely off. We bought some beef heifers that were ultra sounded for sex and calving dates and they were spot on three days either way maybe and sex was close to100  %. The only problem was w late bred heifer they ultrasound real early in pregnancy and if one aborts you don't know. We bough 50 head in the beginning of March one year and 49 calves just like they said the other calves in August. We called the owner he was going to replace it but after it calves we just kept it and the sales guy told us being they were ultrasound by a registered producer they just sold them that way. The owner would sell about a 1000 head a year so you have a hiccup now and then. I don't know can you ultrasound late in pregnancy like at 8 months?

No, after 4 months date estimates get hard.  I know of a big dairy that breed 100% sexed, ultra sounds. like me, at 28 and 50 days to sex.  Sells all the springers with bulls.  Bullitis we call it!

Just did vet check here.  His clinic does this herd we are thinking of, confirmed all what we heard.  May pass on the cattle.

Maybe some of the dry cows too if you can bump a calf in them?? 

Edit to add...what are the chances of buying the herd at cull cow prices? Dump in enough replacements to get to capacity then start culling hard as the cows start producing under break even. You would get some sorted out as far as breeding and production. It would take a LOT of management but could get it going cheaper and add in replacements as cows are culled. Just thinking out loud...kinda

It sounds like his neighbor who looked has offered that too.  Since 75% jersey cull price is basically 500/hd....big dif than 1500.  But I wish we could do our feed program for 3 weeks and then pick out bad ones.

Well, went and looked at dairy with banker and nutritionist yesterday.  Had lunch,  hashed out what we felt we could do.  Talked to manure mangt guy aboutsome stuff.  Figured we'd shot a number to him.this afternoon.  Jockey calls....."GJ got it today".  He farms across block, milks on 2 dairies about 900hd and runs a pretty big custom chopping, tillage operation.  It made sense for him more than us frankly.  I know what his offer was and mine was not gonna be much if any better.  Big deal is no wells to irrigate and you cannot get water rights if you wanted too.  So it limits use.  Berries and potatoes need water.  Corn n grass can make it with out.  Back to the drawing board....my plans aint always His you know?!

3" rain since sunday.  Man, this is getting old.

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Back to the drawing board....my plans aint always His you know?!

You hit the nail on the head there.  I have been reminding myself of this a lot lately.  Sure wish I knew what His plan is......  Just have to have faith that things will work out the way that they are supposed to.  (trying hard to take my own advice)

On 3/21/2017 at 11:48 PM, TroyDairy said:

20170320_155533_zpsmvnogupj.jpg

Ugh, waiting for parts.  Had everything but the actual disc for brake was kinda scored so he wanted replace it since we were inside.  Carrier bearing was wiggly too so it's getting done too.  Best mech in the PNW IMO.  Prob is he works from here to N Vancouver Isl to the Olympic Peninsula.  Guys in the woods wont have anyone else do their work.  Well today he had to do a track drive on a yarder in a logging road about 2 hours away.  Last Friday had to work on a 350 Komatsu Log loader in Campbell River BC.  Look that up from Lynden WA!!  You LOVE your mechanic if you pay for a 6hr 1 way 2x and a $200++ ferry trip to have him work.

20170320_210258_zpssaamfyc6.jpg

10 pm monday....everything is FULL so got as much done before rain today.  We built 2-300000g more storage, AND filled my uncles 1m gal lagoon last 4 weeks up the road.  Nuts so wet this year.  Everything is greening up though, berry guys were going nuts last 2 days spraying. Need it dry I guess.

how do you fill the uncle's pit ? Truck it or pump it there 

22 minutes ago, SNERLAND said:

Better no deal than a bad one.

Very true.  Tim we have to truck it.  4 miles, 400000g in 12 hrs.  Good thing we had 3' or so pumped off Thursday.  Neighbor called looking for room for 10-12 loads.  Lagoon full, again.  He brought 10 over 3 weeks ago.  Called about a dairy in Idaho.  Know 3 or 4 guys who've relocated there.  You'd think they work for the Chamber of Commerce!  Each one has been very successful there.  Dry, warm, dry, ag friendly, dry, feed, dry, etc.

55 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Very true.  Tim we have to truck it.  4 miles, 400000g in 12 hrs.  Good thing we had 3' or so pumped off Thursday.  Neighbor called looking for room for 10-12 loads.  Lagoon full, again.  He brought 10 over 3 weeks ago.  Called about a dairy in Idaho.  Know 3 or 4 guys who've relocated there.  You'd think they work for the Chamber of Commerce!  Each one has been very successful there.  Dry, warm, dry, ag friendly, dry, feed, dry, etc.

Seems there is a trend in your pros and cons.  

9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Well, went and looked at dairy with banker and nutritionist yesterday.  Had lunch,  hashed out what we felt we could do.  Talked to manure mangt guy aboutsome stuff.  Figured we'd shot a number to him.this afternoon.  Jockey calls....."GJ got it today".  He farms across block, milks on 2 dairies about 900hd and runs a pretty big custom chopping, tillage operation.  It made sense for him more than us frankly.  I know what his offer was and mine was not gonna be much if any better.  Big deal is no wells to irrigate and you cannot get water rights if you wanted too.  So it limits use.  Berries and potatoes need water.  Corn n grass can make it with out.  Back to the drawing board....my plans aint always His you know?!

3" rain since sunday.  Man, this is getting old.

Troy, I was up getting a couple loads of seed at Jeff B's I was surprised at the amount of water running of the fields everywhere this morning. I asked the truck loader about the rain he said it rained 1'' over night. I was thinking ''Wow'' what it would be like with 3-4'' of rain.  Now it makes sense with it being a total of 3'' since Sunday.  

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Dont you have IH stuff in your old hay mow too?

Never know when you might need an 86 series cab.  I've seen lots crazier things put in the hay loft.  

20170330_120356_zpsr5gzj328.jpg

Neighbors field yesterday.  Pure sand near and every part if his farm was standing water.  Nice by afternoon, today looks good then long range 10 day.....not so good again.

Oh...the 1998 with the fluctuating temp.  So, pump, stat, rad, fan clutch...still did it.  Laser temp gun said it was steady so we left it alone.  Brought cull cows in (100 mile trip) ran around area here.  Now...perfect 190ish all the time.  Must of been a burp in the head?  Or something odd.  0 oil use or coolant loss.

20170331_110202_zps0qlfrwlh.jpg

Finally dry enough to fix up last of snow mess.  Header was rotted bad.  The trusses there were done by the PO after snow damage.  Set them on the wall, no rhyme or reason.  7', 11', 9'.  So all 4 of us, get it done, jacked up some trusses, yes bottle jack n 4x6, took old rafter and some 6x6 and rebuilt the wall.  Had to make 2 headers and recycled some brackets to tie post to wall.  Going to add 22' at a 2/12 rafter where the collapse was then add under that 3 stalls x4 curbs so we'll gain 15 beds.  Got 2 trusses to remount with a header yet.   Maybe tomorrow....I am wiped!  Will sleep good, if this shoulder don't keep me up...

20170331_141413_zpshy9eftfa.jpg

Darn Troy ,

I was breathing heavy after reading these posts.  Man , You guys work hard !  God gives children & heavy work to young people , Thank Goodness.

Seriously ,  People that do not dairy do not realize all that needs tending too most times and especially when weather deals a difficult deck.

You guys earn every penny you make .  However, If I was still raising Alfalfa to sell I  would probably still ask for higher price, Can never be to high :lol:

Good luck with your water difficulties. Summer is coming Hang in there.

Tony

20170402_215835_1491195561198_zpsekes5kf

Sigh.....cuz son does chores Sunday pm.  Milk fresh cows, calves, scrap etc.  Been about 16 months.  Nice kid, little slow going.  But he forgets something every dang week.  Tonight at 10pm i see this.  They are still locked from 4pm, bucket and claw have milk in yet.  I sent him the pic.  Last week forgot to scrape dry cows.  Week before i am sure he forgot to feed calve b/c i walked in at 930 and they were up hollering like nuts.  The 3 all drank a bottle asap.  Not sure how to make him do better.  Have huge list hanging on door for him to check when leaving....supposed to check i guess.  Hes 15, i was watching the farm if dad was out of town by then!  

5 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Hes 15, i was watching the farm if dad was out of town by then!  

Kids nowadays run about 10 years behind the curve :)    Texting while working maybe ??

6 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

.  Not sure how to make him do better.  Have huge list hanging on door for him to check when leaving....supposed to check i guess.  Hes 15, i was watching the farm if dad was out of town by then!  

If he forgets to do something and you have to do it deduct it from his paycheck. I'm sure your labor rate is significantly higher than his.

1 hour ago, BOBSIH856 said:

If he forgets to do something and you have to do it deduct it from his paycheck. I'm sure your labor rate is significantly higher than his.

Have him leave his phone at the house, trust me, it helps a lot

Alarm reminders for each chore on his Cell phone.  With Text to you when done.....Incentive for performance, what does he want or need besides $$?  He's challenging your management skills.

5 hours ago, Rainman said:

Alarm reminders for each chore on his Cell phone.  With Text to you when done.....Incentive for performance, what does he want or need besides $$?  He's challenging your management skills.

Or he is just not to sharp.  Trust me its that.  Vet knows him from church.   Says maybe go nuts....better kin than next job.  I am going to call his dad.  He's owner of a vac truck co,  hard worker, always has been.   His mom even told me he takes a bit to get things....18 months? :huh:  I have been hoping to allow tractor work....now way at this point!