life in our corner

TroyDairy

Just so the tie stall guys dont think we're too soft. Our Hospital milking set-up. Milk 1-2nd milking here of all fresh and any lame or stupid cows. This one is stupid. Alley layer so she is all stiff now. Will put her in the bigger groups with the scrapers. Generally fixes them from laying in the alley vs the stalls.

20140317_060911_zps8jik7j1g.jpg

Been thinking of resurrecting the bucket we have to milk fresh cows to get colostrum to the calves quicker. Maybe milk the fresh ones three times a day with it as well. Then wouldn't have to sanitize and wash the pipeline for a cow or two

Been thinking of resurrecting the bucket we have to milk fresh cows to get colostrum to the calves quicker. Maybe milk the fresh ones three times a day with it as well. Then wouldn't have to sanitize and wash the pipeline for a cow or two

Thats why we do it. Two milkings to get antibiotics out and right to the calf. No freezing or fiddling around. Been working well for 13 years or so.

Estrumate at 55-60 dim, gnrh 14 days later, estrumate 7 days later, (all in morning an Mon) gnrh 2.5 days later (wed afternoon), breed thur morning. If open at 30 days bred the vet decides to leave alone or start whole thing over again. We/breeder tail chalk everyday also. Shots just make sure everyone gets bred by about 80 dim.

That's what i have read a bit on. May have to try it on the hard to breed ones which we fortunately don't have many. Seems most get bred on the first service a couple of them seem to take a bit to get bred back even running with a bull. Have to figure up our calving interval to find out how well we are doing there

Yep. Do you dhia? They should have that data. One thing is higher milk = harder breeding. B/c they show vey soft heats. And since your barn lets you see n touch everyone upclose you prob always see their heats.

Yep. Do you dhia? They should have that data. One thing is higher milk = harder breeding. B/c they show vey soft heats. And since your barn lets you see n touch everyone upclose you prob always see their heats.

Nope no dhia. Usually its not high producers that aren't getting bred. Not sure why they aren't getting bred or taking. Even with tail paint and watching them when turned out its hard to catch them in heat. Our AI tech said he has had that problem with his small herd

Moms gonna have her hands full in a week or so!

20140318_192235_zpssswa4vck.jpg

Does it look suspect to be loading a just shot cow into back of a Dakota at 9 pm on a weeknight?

20140318_201403_zpsdz5aw1xk.jpg

Stange way to load a cow. I usually chain legs kitty corner from each other then load. Is it for your freezer or rendering?

Lol
They were chained kitty corner. Just unhooked them. Freezer. She pinched a nerve on a 125# calf. This guy moonlights since his family used to own a butcher shop. Only one that will cash deal a non walker.

Neighbor Brown guy got the Lime truck stuck. Huh, rottatilled in the fall, very low org matter berry ground, and 2" of rain in 18 hours. Cant believe he buried a truck loaded with 13 tons of lime.

20140315_114144_zps2rpivjhs.jpg

Ground was so soft I needed help to move the bugger. Axles were sunk too.

20140315_114245_zpsvocnbgy2.jpg

This is ...was...nice sandy loam like our ground. But after 5-7 years of berries the tilth is just gone. We have farmed land next door that had been berry on berry for 12 years. Ours is sandy and dry after 24 hours. The field right next door was muck for a week. No tilth at all. No manure and no sod is hard on ground.

20140320_093148_zpsp0wvuh4i.jpg

This is not how you want to see the manure system when you walk around the barn. Conveyor slipped, burnt though belt then manure piled up in a huge crap show. Took couple hours to cleanup. Lets hope the roller is ok.

Neighbor Brown guy got the Lime truck stuck. Huh, rottatilled in the fall, very low org matter berry ground, and 2" of rain in 18 hours. Cant believe he buried a truck loaded with 13 tons of lime.

20140315_114144_zps2rpivjhs.jpg

Ground was so soft I needed help to move the bugger. Axles were sunk too.

20140315_114245_zpsvocnbgy2.jpg

This is ...was...nice sandy loam like our ground. But after 5-7 years of berries the tilth is just gone. We have farmed land next door that had been berry on berry for 12 years. Ours is sandy and dry after 24 hours. The field right next door was muck for a week. No tilth at all. No manure and no sod is hard on ground.

TD, I love your photo I got a good laugh, Bradley's not going to be very happy about getting his new toy dirty, One of my employees and myself worked for Brad and his bro and Dad in the late 80's doing just that. Your starting to sound like an organic farmer with your no tilth comment, I'm not saying it's not true though.

I think the orgasmic guys get tingles saying 'tilth'. Even when none of their gardens really have any. ;-) Brad took some pics too. Things a tank. I forgot how much he said it wt.

twice in two days ive double posted. sorry td

I hear you. I have never wanted too. Then poof double! They look neat I agree. But wonder if they are any good. This one was new 1st of the year I understand. IIRC he said it was a 325 hp a/t.

New toy is on it's way!

IMG_20140321_141147_zpsasfxxmzq.jpg

Glad I aint in a tractor cab during a fire. Burned the old stuff and some yard brush today. Look at that nasty smoke.

20140321_120746_zpsgfdeljnw.jpg