life in our corner

TroyDairy

Well, busy week ahead. Herd health tomorrow, get heifers Tuesday, gma funeral wed, taking the fam to a little mtn tourist trap town thurs to sun (friends fil has cabin there and snowmobiles! 6 kids, 2 men, 1 woman and 1 pregnant woman. Ho boy), and guy who silage trucks for us lost his dad thur last week so I'd like to make that.

Busy? That is insane.

Sorry about your grandma bud, I hope she had a wonderful life. Sounds like she did.

Well, Hector the afternoon guy was holding a cows tail as she was wiggling around. She kicked and got his hand between the hose support and hock. Said he did not notice anything but "ow". Grabbed her tail again (pulling down from the pit). Then blood ran out his sweatshirt. He hit the hose support just right that it cut a gash from pinky bone to middle finger bone. Right to tendons though all them veins on the back of your hand and meat. Went to house to wake me and I did not hear it. Kinda freaking out so he called 911. They taped it up I guess then his sister brought him to ER. I did not ask how many stitches, he swung in this morn to say he needed time off. His sis had pics......looked filleted, 1"+ gap between skin edges. Could see tendons and since milkers have muscular hands they got good blood flow. The porch had a 18" puddle, there were drop and little puddles every where. Took kids a good hour with brushes and bucket to clean up all the cement in the breezeways and laundry/employee area. Sigh......so now L+I will FOR SURE be coming asap. Got everything Farm Bureau guy recommended almost done. Most little stuff but better safe than sorry. Not sure what to do about PTO shields yet. Hide tractors with out at neighbors I guess. ;)

what is farm bureau promoting we are with them also and do you have to carry workmens comp for you and your employees? I understand that with our rural policy that they would cover an accident, in our parlor we have a herringbone style we just take a piece of twine and attach to tail and pull over top bar a bit, only works if your cows have tails and I hear that they are going to try and phase out tail docking, are they pushing that out there?

Well, Hector the afternoon guy was holding a cows tail as she was wiggling around. She kicked and got his hand between the hose support and hock. Said he did not notice anything but "ow". Grabbed her tail again (pulling down from the pit). Then blood ran out his sweatshirt. He hit the hose support just right that it cut a gash from pinky bone to middle finger bone. Right to tendons though all them veins on the back of your hand and meat. Went to house to wake me and I did not hear it. Kinda freaking out so he called 911. They taped it up I guess then his sister brought him to ER. I did not ask how many stitches, he swung in this morn to say he needed time off. His sis had pics......looked filleted, 1"+ gap between skin edges. Could see tendons and since milkers have muscular hands they got good blood flow. The porch had a 18" puddle, there were drop and little puddles every where. Took kids a good hour with brushes and bucket to clean up all the cement in the breezeways and laundry/employee area. Sigh......so now L+I will FOR SURE be coming asap. Got everything Farm Bureau guy recommended almost done. Most little stuff but better safe than sorry. Not sure what to do about PTO shields yet. Hide tractors with out at neighbors I guess. ;)

If they are not being used for the PTO right now you may be able to lock out and tag the engagement lever/switch. Make sure it's tagged though

If they are not being used for the PTO right now you may be able to lock out and tag the engagement lever/switch. Make sure it's tagged though

Or remove linkage or switch, or make plate steel guards quickly, good luck with l and i

what is farm bureau promoting we are with them also and do you have to carry workmens comp for you and your employees? I understand that with our rural policy that they would cover an accident, in our parlor we have a herringbone style we just take a piece of twine and attach to tail and pull over top bar a bit, only works if your cows have tails and I hear that they are going to try and phase out tail docking, are they pushing that out there?

Yes no one wants docking. We trim the switch to the tail. In our parallel the guy will just pull down on he tail. It's huge deal to climb up and twist one. Couple time you just gotta. It they tug down it's generally enough she knows your there. His hand appears to have got between the randel arm bracket and hock. We found her. Cut hock and good sized Herpes legion on her teat. That's why she is pissy. Thinking she would look good on a trailer. Farm Bureau here (State) will come do a walk around and tell you what the OSHA guys will not like. So you are at least some what ready. I need to talk to him and get a written incident report I guess. Also to find out if he even told them he was at work. I assume the Medics called him in to ER before he went. WA FB does not offer any insurance. Sold off the book to County Companies.

Or remove linkage or switch, or make plate steel guards quickly, good luck with l and i

When MSHA came to the concrete company I was at we made tons of guards with old mesh, covered everything that was spinning.

Never thought of expanded metal guards. Be nice on tractor so you can see what you doing. Or make flip up ones like modern equipment.
20160119_092229_zpsfc5faeah.jpg
Went to get heifers today. Messsssy, 34 and damp, nothing will freeze up. 3 trains of straw/week to try to make mounds for them to ly on.

And the kicking cow, showing at a McDs soon

in our area on the larger farms I have heard osha making surprise inspections a I guess they can find a lot of stuff wrong, on the kicky cows are small herringbone we can index them that and another cow standing behind them will usually solve problem as compared to the tie stall barn this is a lot safer,oh and once in a while in the tie stall barn we use rompum and that would help have not used since we switched to parlor

When MSHA came to the concrete company I was at we made tons of guards with old mesh, covered everything that was spinning.

MSHA is about the toughest that I've heard of. I know of a marble quarry that got a $35,000 dollar fine for an uncovered 1 1/4" knockout in a service panel. They mediated it down to $15,000.

MSHA is about the toughest that I've heard of. I know of a marble quarry that got a $35,000 dollar fine for an uncovered 1 1/4" knockout in a service panel. They mediated it down to $15,000.

Msha is understandably tough expecially underground.

Msha is understandably tough expecially underground.

I can understand writing up the violation, but that is just ridiculous. It's beyond any reasonable punitive scale.

The company I work for is a Redi mix concrete Co we fall under OSHA because we make a product. But the Aggregate sand and gravel end of it where we have loaders and gravel pits falls under MSHA because we mine the gravel and sand and MSHA comes in at least 1 time a year and OSHA has not been in yet but if there was a bad accident they would be in I have heard that we are targeted by OSHA for having more than 3 loss of time accidents in a year even if they are just minor accidents that had a loss of time even if it was just an afternoon off. The fine schedule seems to have gotten ridiculous since the government seems to be hard up for money

Troy, Several years ago we had a gal stick her hand behind a chain guard to get a small tater that was rolling around in there, She managed to get her glove hooked in the sprocket and chain which pinched her finger tip off. The interesting part is when L&I inspector stopped by he said, You can refuse me entrance to your plant if you do the state will get a search warrant, If you agree to show me the area i will follow you too the site i will not look left or right only straight ahead, Once I inspect the area i will ask you several questions one at a time, only answer the the question don't say too much cause that could lead to more questioning from me.

His report said the guard was correct and in place at the time of accident, there is only so much an employer can do to protect employee's ,No safety violation.

I hope the FB guy told you to keep this guy paid for his time loss , this is one area that can cost the employer a huge amount in L&I rate increase for several years,

a real eye opener for me by FB with some of there L&I horror stories

"Once I inspect the area i will ask you several questions one at a time, only answer the the question don't say too much cause that could lead to more questioning from me."

Maybe you should let Terry handle this one Troy!! :P :D

Troy, Several years ago we had a gal stick her hand behind a chain guard to get a small tater that was rolling around in there, She managed to get her glove hooked in the sprocket and chain which pinched her finger tip off. The interesting part is when L&I inspector stopped by he said, You can refuse me entrance to your plant if you do the state will get a search warrant, If you agree to show me the area i will follow you too the site i will not look left or right only straight ahead, Once I inspect the area i will ask you several questions one at a time, only answer the the question don't say too much cause that could lead to more questioning from me.

His report said the guard was correct and in place at the time of accident, there is only so much an employer can do to protect employee's ,No safety violation.

I hope the FB guy told you to keep this guy paid for his time loss , this is one area that can cost the employer a huge amount in L&I rate increase for several years,

a real eye opener for me by FB with some of there L&I horror stories

I was also going to suggest cooperation with them allowing them to do there honest job may make fix it warnings vs fine expecially if this is thier first visit.

cousin that expanded in our area probably 400 cows does a god job, 3x a day told me story last fall 2015 Hispanic got hurt workmens comp covered his problem, a few months later cousin said guy wanted a big settlement claims could not work well he had to get lawyer to defend himself, meanwhile they found out that Hispanic was fired from 2 other farms since the problem on their farm, I guess what started it out was that when he came back they offered him a different shift probably night shift, cousin said at hearing was mediated down a quite a bit still cost him several thousand and lawyer bill, oh the fun of farming.

806, we got the call from the free "help" inspection thing wed. Not a peep of the accident. Brother was gonna stop and get details from guy who got hurt today. Inspection is 6 weeks away now.

Troy did you take any photographs of the injured cow and the accident scene before it got cleaned up? Might need to start writing operating procedures and "train" employees and the do's and dont's. That way the next time an accident occurs you can show that the employee was properly trained and didnt follow protocol (think manufacturing plants).