life in our corner

TroyDairy

Wow it's a brother to my 585. Looks clean, that is a rugged Gen of tractor.

Got , by chance, grace, 2 guys stopped looking for work. My supervisor said they both seem qualified etc. He hired 1 and told the other he'd call him. Let's hope for the best.

Quite the day. SUpervisor told me that the 2nd guy who showed up yesterday had a good 1. He'd come last week when we we're looking for the kid who gave notice to go to Cali. (lazy it turns out). Luis told him to come back the next morn to try out. He never showed up..? He seemed legit. The guy who just quit with no notice/lies we come to find out had told him "its' too hard you dont want this.". Then he quits what a POS. At least this Andre showed up anyway couple days later and prob will do 1-2 turns for relief.

AND, I went to do lime in the stalls before raking them had my bandanna on but no googles/glasses. Tore open the bag like 1000s of times and somehow a 'chunk' went right into my eye. Ran to rinse it out but after 2 hours I called the Doc and he said "ER...1/2 hr away". Buddy who's a Medic said "Eye Dr in town", good call. 1 hour of rinsing and antibiotic drops etc. PH of my tears was 4 so the lime was still there damaging it. Rinsed till back to 7ish. Man it smarts, right in the lo rt corner of rt eye.

And, mom called. Gma, 92, is in hospital, short of breath for 4 days. Heart at 30%. She decided on hospice today vs. more draining her lungs. SO that is immanent now as well. God fearing lady who took care of my grandpa for years when he got Parkinsons. My moms step mom, real one had a surprise stroke at 52 in 72. 10 days after mom and dad got married. Going to be a long weekend I am afraid. We were planning a weekend get away next week to the mnts but it may get pushed off now. Kids will be bummed but good teaching moment to what's impt.

Well...happy Friday. Have to meet with vet avout some stuff, go to eye doctor again and the Just serviced furnace quit. 58 in the house so we wont die but ugh. And to top it off Grandma went home to Christ at 3am. Gonna be a odd weekend.

Prayers for your family. May you feel his embrace

Thanks gentlemen. We knew she was going so not surprised but still sad. But with her weakness of late it is a better place than a hospital bed. We all got to visit a bit with her this week. And my aunt and mom were there near 24/7 last 7 days. Aunt works in the maternity barn at the same hospital so she even stopped in extra. Grandma had her whole funeral plan wrote out nice with instructions for everything. Really nice, mom and aunt dont really need to do much. We'll see if my uncles show up. All a bit...flakey. Grandpa told me he always made it to easy on them when adolescents. Had a job for them and borrowed them $.....a lot. Be kinda fun, or bad to see the estate plan. Gma and Gpa always told the 3 boys that the loans for schools (2 have 4 degrees and dont work in either of the 8) travel, junk etc was coming out of their inheritance. Gpa had a decent sized construction company. Gma was a banker so stuff was organized to a tee. Anway mom thinks her brothers thought he was joking about the bill off the estate. She just says she (her and her sister would eat bean for weeks before asking for help from gpa) knows enough that the boys are in for a bit of a surprise! We all kinda chuckle. If you knew these 3 you'd understand. Crazy how a super hard working God fearing honest man could have 3 kinda flakey sons and 2 hard working, stuff together girls. At least we know its all clearly stated so i hope it all goes smoothly.

Thanks again guys.

Oh and the new milker, guys really like him. Nothing neg to say about him so far. Here's to a steady crew.

Well, busy week ahead. Herd health tomorrow, get heifers Tuesday, gma funeral wed, taking the fam to a little mtn tourist trap town thurs to sun (friends fil has cabin there and snowmobiles! 6 kids, 2 men, 1 woman and 1 pregnant woman. Ho boy), and guy who silage trucks for us lost his dad thur last week so I'd like to make that.

Well, busy week ahead. Herd health tomorrow, get heifers Tuesday, gma funeral wed, taking the fam to a little mtn tourist trap town thurs to sun (friends fil has cabin there and snowmobiles! 6 kids, 2 men, 1 woman and 1 pregnant woman. Ho boy), and guy who silage trucks for us lost his dad thur last week so I'd like to make that.

Busy? That is insane.

Sorry about your grandma bud, I hope she had a wonderful life. Sounds like she did.

Well, Hector the afternoon guy was holding a cows tail as she was wiggling around. She kicked and got his hand between the hose support and hock. Said he did not notice anything but "ow". Grabbed her tail again (pulling down from the pit). Then blood ran out his sweatshirt. He hit the hose support just right that it cut a gash from pinky bone to middle finger bone. Right to tendons though all them veins on the back of your hand and meat. Went to house to wake me and I did not hear it. Kinda freaking out so he called 911. They taped it up I guess then his sister brought him to ER. I did not ask how many stitches, he swung in this morn to say he needed time off. His sis had pics......looked filleted, 1"+ gap between skin edges. Could see tendons and since milkers have muscular hands they got good blood flow. The porch had a 18" puddle, there were drop and little puddles every where. Took kids a good hour with brushes and bucket to clean up all the cement in the breezeways and laundry/employee area. Sigh......so now L+I will FOR SURE be coming asap. Got everything Farm Bureau guy recommended almost done. Most little stuff but better safe than sorry. Not sure what to do about PTO shields yet. Hide tractors with out at neighbors I guess. ;)

what is farm bureau promoting we are with them also and do you have to carry workmens comp for you and your employees? I understand that with our rural policy that they would cover an accident, in our parlor we have a herringbone style we just take a piece of twine and attach to tail and pull over top bar a bit, only works if your cows have tails and I hear that they are going to try and phase out tail docking, are they pushing that out there?

Well, Hector the afternoon guy was holding a cows tail as she was wiggling around. She kicked and got his hand between the hose support and hock. Said he did not notice anything but "ow". Grabbed her tail again (pulling down from the pit). Then blood ran out his sweatshirt. He hit the hose support just right that it cut a gash from pinky bone to middle finger bone. Right to tendons though all them veins on the back of your hand and meat. Went to house to wake me and I did not hear it. Kinda freaking out so he called 911. They taped it up I guess then his sister brought him to ER. I did not ask how many stitches, he swung in this morn to say he needed time off. His sis had pics......looked filleted, 1"+ gap between skin edges. Could see tendons and since milkers have muscular hands they got good blood flow. The porch had a 18" puddle, there were drop and little puddles every where. Took kids a good hour with brushes and bucket to clean up all the cement in the breezeways and laundry/employee area. Sigh......so now L+I will FOR SURE be coming asap. Got everything Farm Bureau guy recommended almost done. Most little stuff but better safe than sorry. Not sure what to do about PTO shields yet. Hide tractors with out at neighbors I guess. ;)

If they are not being used for the PTO right now you may be able to lock out and tag the engagement lever/switch. Make sure it's tagged though

If they are not being used for the PTO right now you may be able to lock out and tag the engagement lever/switch. Make sure it's tagged though

Or remove linkage or switch, or make plate steel guards quickly, good luck with l and i