TroyDairy

life in our corner

I have a 350 in the 99 burban ready to scrap. I think I am too far away though

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitty said:

I have a 350 in the 99 burban ready to scrap. I think I am too far away though

Get it cleaning and to south west Michigan, I can get it the next 1500 miles...

3 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

No decent used engines around?  http://www.car-part.com/

We've been looking and asking for few weeks now.  Used like 150k mile for 500.  For all the work seems kinda pointless.  Now if we found a sub 75k mile one for 7_800 maybe a option.  

We decided on this one tonight.  SUPER clean, fireman and guy happened to go to school with us!  Talked him down some.  Figured if we spent 2k on the ol one to make it go...this one is 700 more and has near mint body, perfect interior, 10 year owner who appears picky, new tires and brakes and muffler.  Almost toooo niiccee.  1995 1500 4x with 170k on it.  Engine and trans all dry outside...only thing we found was windshield seal it poor.  Glass actually wiggles.  He said it started having wind noise last week and couldnt figure it out.  Interesting is it has OEM bucket seats.  Really comfy with that dash and buckets vs the bench in our 98.

I love these in 2 tone!

00I0I_kP9FbFHuDPX_600x450.jpg

00q0q_hHGIzl35lag_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3

Today i walked past the 91 with the head off....went.  "it will take just about as much work to put the gaskets in and cross fingers".  Right after we figured what we should save and sell since we have 3 gmt-400s.  Trying to keep with Zach...

Chore time.... kids in back is looking for work.  Goes to school with kid who is leaving.  But this summer he goes to the Marines.  Kinda neat but green green town cali boy.  We'll see..

Finished yesterday pumping what we could.  Still nice today...nice cool NE breeze and 40s but pretty clear and sunny.  I guess you MW and NE folks are getting winter now? 

20190116_164114.jpg

20190115_162736.jpg

Been hoping for this for years.  Finally went to see friend inland for 2 days.  Had good time!

Ice skating in Spokane (his son had knee surgery)

Daves truck rescue in Sprague.  Not as big as i guessed but neat.  I told buddy i wanted to see it and he says "the old junk truck guy?".  Was floored he had a following!

20190120_115944.jpg

20190120_123540.jpg

20190120_104159.jpg

20190120_104339.jpg

20190120_104300.jpg

20190120_104203.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Daves truck rescue in Sprague.  Not as big as i guessed but neat.  I told buddy i wanted to see it and he says "the old junk truck guy?".  Was floored he had a following!

20190120_104159.jpg

20190120_104339.jpg

20190120_104300.jpg

20190120_104203.jpg

Ha! Cool. Was it raining, or did all of those trucks have a protective clear coat applied?

Keith-

hello troy hate to ask but what did you guys get for milk? around here it was about 14.75 to about 15 .40. 2 bucks off from the last check.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, KeithFink said:

Ha! Cool. Was it raining, or did all of those trucks have a protective clear coat applied?

Keith-

Yeah...they get 9" a year in Ritzville/Sprague area and 1" of it Sunday when I'm there.  Today was more better..27 and dry crisp.  Buddy was excited since any moisture is good moisture in his mind (dry land guys...)

PT.......Dont have on top of head but Sub 16 with 3.85F  Last I checked Jan and Feb are sub 15........ not damn enough.

5+ hr ride home sure made me think.  Wheat aint home run $ but he says a 1500ac guy (3000 since they have to fallow) would make a good living for a family he thought.  Him and his dad got a bit bigger.  Starting to market some on own too so.  But...man he never gets 2am calls, dont fret if guy is late or needs a day off, dont have nuts from Seattle breathing down his back for anything, from L+I to EPA.  Nearest neighbor is like 1/2 mile then it aloooong ways to next place.  They have ol farm house we slept in they got cleaned up neat.  Went out to water the lawn before bed.....man.  The quiet is deafening, the stars are crystal clear, the air is still, man.....just the none-24hr looks so refreshing.  I wouldnt know what to worry about.  Just this crap is getting old.  Higher wages for worse workers, more reg to follow for Co-op customers (no extra pay of course), just piling on.

• Sad 1

Have a pair hanging around....there is a yearling plus one too around so maybe whole family.  See the cat?  Idiot....she ignored him since she had plenty to eat.

Tire blew today...knew it was time.  Back one....if frt one and up could of rolled over.  So local guy had 4 Hercules in stock.  1500 each....man...

20190124_141738.jpg

20190124_141514.jpg

20190124_141756.jpg

20190124_114736.jpg

• Sad 1

1500 actually sounds somewhat reasonable, for what you are getting.  I have to replace the fronts on my MX170 (loader tractor).  The old ones have been giving trouble for a couple years now, carcasses are failing from the overloading.  I was advised to install Firestone FWD tires on it, best price I could find was 936 each.  Ugh. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Gearclash said:

1500 actually sounds somewhat reasonable, for what you are getting.  I have to replace the fronts on my MX170 (loader tractor).  The old ones have been giving trouble for a couple years now, carcasses are failing from the overloading.  I was advised to install Firestone FWD tires on it, best price I could find was 936 each.  Ugh. 

FWIW we have good results from our BKT tires on the mx170 doing loader work.  These are chinka or india tires...the firestones, GY, or Michelin are 2600 to 3100 IRCc!

I wondered about BKTs.  One local tire guy did recommend them.  How many hours can you get out of them?  Do they fail or wear down?  I’ve got something like 2500 hours on the fronts of my MX170,  lugs are probably at least 60% yet but there is cracking everywhere, and one tire for sure has the bead separating from the sidewall.  Mitas tires, on the tractor when I bought it.

The big advantage I see of Firestone FWD tires is the close lug spacing, that should reduce carcass flexing.  

We run firestones on the fronts of our mx tractors we run loaders on all the tractors first set we got 8000 hrs out of but we don't drive any pavement all gravel and mud.  The tires were smooth when we took them off and absolutely no cracking or weatherchecking, and never had a flat.  I just priced brand new 14.9 R28 if wait till Feb they are $750 and 14.9 R30 are $850

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gearclash said:

I wondered about BKTs.  One local tire guy did recommend them.  How many hours can you get out of them?  Do they fail or wear down?  I’ve got something like 2500 hours on the fronts of my MX170,  lugs are probably at least 60% yet but there is cracking everywhere, and one tire for sure has the bead separating from the sidewall.  Mitas tires, on the tractor when I bought it.

The big advantage I see of Firestone FWD tires is the close lug spacing, that should reduce carcass flexing.  

The oem GY lasted 8000 something and were bald bald.  These have at least 5000 and puch on cement alot of feed and rd a fair bit.  30% tread and sidewalls look fine.  16.9r28 .  The mc  135 has 14.9r30 and they seem to be wearing better..also BKT.

I’ve got 16.9R-28s also.  I would love to switch the tractor over to 18.4r-30s and 20.8r-42 like my MX150 has--that thing rides like a cloud.  Not likely to happen though, too many $$.

Do you have any idea how much weight you are putting on the front axle of your MX170?  I am fairly certain part of my problem is overloading.  I can get the back end light pretty easy (no ballast at all),  the L750 loader has a lot of reach which doesn’t do the front end any favors.  I handle two big rounds at a time quite a bit, also loading manure gets pretty heavy.

3 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I’ve got 16.9R-28s also.  I would love to switch the tractor over to 18.4r-30s and 20.8r-42 like my MX150 has--that thing rides like a cloud.  Not likely to happen though, too many $$.

Do you have any idea how much weight you are putting on the front axle of your MX170?  I am fairly certain part of my problem is overloading.  I can get the back end light pretty easy (no ballast at all),  the L750 loader has a lot of reach which doesn’t do the front end any favors.  I handle two big rounds at a time quite a bit, also loading manure gets pretty heavy.

Actually loading the rear tires will not take any weight off the front when using a loader.. adding weight behind the rear tires will transfer some from the front to the back. 

We had a L700 loader on mx170 and we picked up two bales hauled full buckets of silage (we enlarged the factory bucket to haul more) and loaded tons of manure and the firestones wore extremely well

4 hours ago, Gearclash said:

We have a alo 980 loader.  A 8' loewen heavy bucket with back rack thats bit bigger than the oem one was....is now on mc135...  Iirc it hold around s ton of corn silage.   It sits at one of a few off farm bunkers and loads feed for 3 months a winter.  Around 1000 tons a season. All on cement.  Back titans 18.4r42 are full of Cal.  It pushes up 1000s of tons stacking in bunker.  I occasionally unload hay trucks with the hla forks.  Easy manages 2 3x4 alfalfa bales.  I dont see any side wall damage...run 20psi all the time.  

Dad was over today...he move that calf 6' in few minutes and we went to breaking a little cement out and he stayed and ate.

We played the public school in town.  Arch rivals.  Sold 3k tickets and iirc it holds 3500.. We won!  Girls lost last night though.  Both great games to see.....and hot

20190125_135128.jpg

20190125_135126.jpg

20190125_183449.jpg

Supposed to get to 20 this weekend.  Super cold for us....

Brother got rake fixed up thankfully.  Cyl leaked and then head broke off.  We figured just get new one.....$1800...🙁.  Its updated...so had to rebuild mnt for it.  It wouldnt swing up all the way so scary on road.  Looks professional now.👍

Went to Pacific Ag show with little one and 2 cousins20190126_123836.thumb.jpg.7c7b8a5eb37aa93a219d3800457fca83.jpg Saturday.  She had fun...got candy from vendors!  That blue thing is a JBS AG bagger good grief it's ridiculous I bet you it's half a million dollars

And yes I have no idea how a picture got in the middle of my post that's totally new

20190130_145852.jpg

20190126_124135.jpg

15 and 45 to 50mph wind for few days.  Nippy with 50% humidity!

Checking and turning scrapers off before bed.  2 cows already slipped last night.  Ugh

20190203_195841.jpg

Whew....been icky.  Keeping manure moving and cows fed etc.  Tip....never put scrape tunnels out side...even.  if we won lotto we would add 16' to these barns and cover whole shebang.  The Canadians do and its so nice.  Cows cant get to tin, cows cant reach doors, area to set salt and lime, scraper drives inside nice, cost alot....

Oil cooler on mtx120 leaked...messy but pretty easy to fix.  This engineer's fantasy hose was leaking is how we caught it.  Tee molded in for heater hose.  No rad cap so had to chem flush system good.

Today 60mph and dry.  Tore out berry fields are dry since no rain for 10 days.  Dust in area is horrible.  Taste it..

Broke scraper rope on ice.  We spliced it....its sorcery that it holds.  Esp in old fraying rope.  But held for 5 days now!  Have few that are years old actually.  

20190207_151840.jpg

20190204_153257.jpg

20190209_132305.jpg

20190205_123222.jpg

20190209_074756.jpg

Troydairy, I hope everything is ok with you.  Sounds like some dairies got hit hard by the snowstorm.  A lot of animals lost.  

20s and few inches and 30mph wind.  Not horrible but everything is cold now.  Cement, steel etc.  We gave up and quit trying to babysit scraper (dont put slots out side...idiot) so just loosened the ropes and pushed to side and scrape 1x a day now.  Mess but not cold enough to be dry or warm enough to be slurry.  PITA but better than 8" of crap.  Now 30mph winds and snowing pretty good, drifts tomorrow.  Foreguess is 6"+.  Other side of county had 10" but wind kept it out of here.  Tired and sore from digging crap and keeping things thawed.  Thur should be 40...lets hope.  Guy I know in Sunnyside WA inland lost 250 cows Sat night.  They had teens, 18" of snow and 60 mph winds.  Corral strings pile up in corners and suffocate each other.  I called my friend who works on another dairy said his area S of freeway was bad but N was disater.  His buddy lost 600, 2 farms lost alot of heifers but didnt know data.  Said the whole Valley was snowed in for 12-18 hrs with no way in or out.  The Feb-ecember is stinking. 

• Sad 1

Bluemoose said eastern part of your state there is guys that lost up to 5,000 head in the dry lot areas.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Bluemoose said eastern part of your state there is guys that lost up to 5,000 head in the dry lot areas.

He is for sure exaggerating since I know him.. ;)  Besides he thinks TW Fords are the pinnacle of tractors....

My friend over there just knew of the 2 dairies and 2 hfr lot for 2 others but that was just this morning.  I may call Darigold guy tomorrow to see what the totals are for region.  Tonight inland supposed to get inches more snow and cold.  Ugh....