TroyDairy

life in our corner

1 hour ago, bitty said:

I think it looks like Ford frame ? Cross member is a tube , isn't that a Ford thing?

the  cross members on my Silverados are tubes, but bigger.

IFS, six bolt wheels, light frame. Probably a Toyota.

Busy, got heifers tue, Farm Bureau meeting wed(both 4 hr 1 way), chopped 25a thur to have pile to feed when we do the rest.  Finally getting rains.  1.6" in last week or so.  Amazing how green it got so fast.  Tired.....like normal

Small town on way to getting hefiers (and brininging Fair calfs to grower) 22 tesla stations...  Nothin against E cars but 22 by a McD no where near a hotel makes no sense to me....in a town of 5000 at best.  4 or 5 ok but 22!

20180913_135103.jpg

20180911_094344.jpg

20180913_135944.jpg

• Like 1

looks like you found the best use for a bunch of the stations....

• Like 2

Corn looks good! Are you running 20 inch rows?

We have those electric car charging stations around here too, but there is only between two and five stations per hundred car parking lot.

If that's Cle Elm lots of coasties there it's becoming a bedroom community for Seattle,

Isn’t that kind of a slap in the face to the people driving electric cars? In a McDonalds parking lot? Ooh my!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Isn’t that kind of a slap in the face to the people driving electric cars? In a McDonalds parking lot? Ooh my!

LOL

Keith-

I don't remember seeing that pickup in any of your other pictures. It sure looks sharp I like the blue alot. 6.0 or duramax? 

1 hour ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Corn looks good! Are you running 20 inch rows?

We have those electric car charging stations around here too, but there is only between two and five stations per hundred car parking lot.

yes, in last 5 years it's become the norm from what I can tell.  Have done several yield test (some here even) and always few tons more/a.  This was planted 4/27 and all 90ish day.  Actually a test plot for long day since we normally only plant low 80ish day here.  We did this and another little patch to make a pile to feed when we do the rest of it.  Planted 60% of what we normally do this season.  Save some $ and the rents here for junk land just kill the worth whileness of growing.  We arranged to buy from guy we know what we need on top of our own.  Price wise is close and he grow S about a hour and frankly gets higher starch silage anyway.  PAying 300/a for 12-15 tons per a is expensive per ton!!!  So we gave up some low grade land and focused on nicer crop on our ground instead.

Leavenworth is town where Tesla stuff is.  About 100/- from Seattle area I guess so they must be figuring a lot of hipsters are coming during winter this year.  Town is neat little tourist trap.  $$$ 

Zach, diesel '13 I found about 3h N in Canada in '16.  Waaaayyyyy back when we had cash...;(   Just about only time I use it is getting heifers inland.  I really like my '94 1500 and take it everywhere else.  Its a LT with bench seat and cloth so not the big $ one!  They do tow nice for sure, but if I did not pull 14000# of animals over the pass 2x a month i dont think I'd own one for running around and RVing few times a year.  6.0 with a tune would be my choice then.  Anything breaks $$$$$$$

Mine (blue eyes) and cousins girl.  Her 1st tractor ride!  Let her steer the 186 for a bit on the rd.  Sweet kid, their in K together, cousin just adopted her this spring to add to his 3 girls already.  She is from his wifes side.  Just a crap show for parents...real blessing to add her to our herd of heifers in the neighborhood. 

8930...cleaned all the evap good, resealed lid, new fan switch, resealed where filters go.  Lots of air flow now....and freon all gone..  New evap on way.  Its beatttt up bad and now the end is spattered with dye from freon check.

Dissapointing corn this season.  Alot like this.  Irrigated hard, pumped manure, full tillage and all.  This brand sure over est their days.  Most of the 80d planted late May isnt close.  And we had a hot summer...  Frustrated for sure.  This brand looked pretty nice last year and all over area now looks icky.  The Pioneer test plot up the road was incredible.  It is ready to go..heck 2 weeks ago it was ready.  Way more even too boot.  May be getting some qoutes from them this winter..

20180915_153344.jpg

20180917_143714.jpg

20180917_172604.jpg

Sucks on that corn Troy, nothing more discouraging then to put hard work into something that doesn’t amount to much. 

I also give kids rides when I can, nice to see how happy it makes them! Took a 2 year old in the mower a couple months ago with his dad, he was all smiles and his dad says now he wants to drive everything 😎

• Like 1

Corn around here has something called Black Tar fungus or virus you can almost stand there and watch the leaves die. We’ve got some guys doing some 110 day corn planted end of April at 16% and averaging 260 per acre, unreal.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:16 AM, jass1660 said:

Corn around here has something called Black Tar fungus or virus you can almost stand there and watch the leaves die. We’ve got some guys doing some 110 day corn planted end of April at 16% and averaging 260 per acre, unreal.

Is that good?  No grain for 100s of miles!

Lets see, disced down the stalks, gave the old hydro a nice job to blow wheat out.  

Kida odd...so we did some swapping with bigger guy up rd.  They needed body and truck during corn silage.  So we said we'll be there for few days but like to use a 8k gal manure spreader few times a season.  Worked good.  I went to check oil in the fuel tank converted oil tsnk and.oh oh... He told his guy to fill the fuel up when they got done.  He filled oil tank with diesel.  So we drained lines (it appears this was post use so pump never pumped the fuel), drained tank.  And now the 186 amd 1066 are running s bit richer fuel blend!  Local oil for a chain floor app was $11 to 9 a gallon.  Hytran 15 and it was way overlill for a silage truck motor.  Thought..."amazon?"..  6.75 per gal for aw32.  Shipping included.....dumped the 55 in the truck and away we go. 

20180919_110122.jpg

20180919_111251.jpg

20180918_144402.jpg

20180918_144357.jpg

20180922_112428.jpg

Troy-----

Saw some dairy footage on RFD-TV-------made me remember my Guernseys from 4-H club days 60 yrs ago.  Made me wonder:

What is the process for trimming hooves nowadays-----how often??

DD

3 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Troy-----

Saw some dairy footage on RFD-TV-------made me remember my Guernseys from 4-H club days 60 yrs ago.  Made me wonder:

What is the process for trimming hooves nowadays-----how often??

DD

Side tip chute,  good old loopers.  We all have gusy who do it up here. $5 hd and we do every cow before they go dry then fix as needed though out their lactation.  They walk through a foot bath with copper sulfate 1x a week to stop warts and farmaldahyde 1x for any bacterial type things.

Guernsey,  man they used to be the main thing here.  Now only 1 herd has 50 60.  My grandpa and his 2 brother in laws were big breeders of them.  Cousin who run 4h club has 2 sons and a daughter who own 5 6 of them and show.  They are all going to be in college next year so maybe my girls will show a couple for them!

Been awhile.... busy

Got 5th/6th in.  Hope done for season now.  Haaaate to try making grass in October.  3 doe and a 3pt buck, very unusual for our neighborhood. Hard to see, i was raking but my uncle wanted to relive the ol days and drug the 5830 out for 20a.  Did good, the summer before he sold it lost cyl.  So he put $25k onto a $30k unit and never used it.  So he figured see how it worked.  A 890 claas in back ground.  Custom guy so booked with corn we had friends do grass for us.

FILs....rookie driver.. ;)

Ace!

Man i like this gen of chevys

Why can the oil filter be 4" on way or another so it is clear of springs and axle?  So dumb....M11 in 96 T800.

20180925_114956.jpg

20180927_141846.jpg

20180927_145741.jpg

Cornietruck.jpg

20180928_145720.jpg

20181001_095546.jpg

20181001_110446.jpg

That's my favorite body style too. I can't remember if I've posted them up here before but I've got a couple now- 93 k1500 that I swapped a 6.0 into which is my daily driver, and a 96 k3500 that I built a 454 for and use to tow with. A year or so back I sold my 98 with a 12v cummins which is what I replaced with the 4 door.

IMG_20130503_170234_213_zps520238e0.JPG

20161117_145004.jpg

20160804_120739.jpg

6 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

That's my favorite body style too. I can't remember if I've posted them up here before but I've got a couple now- 93 k1500 that I swapped a 6.0 into which is my daily driver, and a 96 k3500 that I built a 454 for and use to tow with. A year or so back I sold my 98 with a 12v cummins which is what I replaced with the 4 door.

IMG_20130503_170234_213_zps520238e0.JPG

20161117_145004.jpg

20160804_120739.jpg

We need to be friends...

I've seen write ups on 12v cons and wow thats a job.

The 6.0 swap....envy.  Does it have LS pcm then?  Ive seen a few LS pcm on TBI/TPI rigs.  Give them tunability then.  Friends bro had a verrrrry nice 1997 lo mile 2wd exlb dually with 350/auto/4.10.  I should of got it for local cattle stuff but 2wd thing was deal breaker for brother.  If you have 4x its hard to go back to 2.

You do the 6.o swap Zach?

I did the LS swap in our unheated shop over a winter(cold and miserable) 6 years ago. I used the 411 LS pcm and modified the factory wiring harness to work. I will be swapping a 411 in the beige dually sooner or later so I can tune it with hp tuners. It doesnt support the blackbox pcm that is in there now. I've got a black bear tune in it now but there is more to be had I think.

As far as the 12v in a gmt400- I don't know that I would go that route again. I struggled with it getting hot while towing when I had it set to where I wanted it power wise. It really needed a better turbo and a bigger radiator (which would have been tough because room was hard to come buy with that long engine vs. a V8)

• Like 1

Nice, how fwd was the LS swap?  We have a 98 2500 350, 91 2500(lt duty), and my 94 1500 now.  Id like to get wife a clean 98 sub an do ls motor.  Silly but they look good and are so reliable.  I wish i did tune in the 98 but it just putts around here with cattle trailer.  It should be detailed and it would be realllly nice truck.  Got from city guy.  Amazing how clean under it is vs county truck!  

Swap was actually pretty easy. The most time consuming part was the wiring-but you can buy standalone wiring harness pretty reasonable. If you get a 96+ you don't have to change the fuel system over which is ideal. TBI pickups have a low pressure pump which I had to swap out and then put a fuel filter that has a return in (borrowed from a corvette). My engine had returnless fuel setup so had to have some way to regulate fuel.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:28 PM, TroyDairy said:

Mine (blue eyes) and cousins girl.  Her 1st tractor ride!  Let her steer the 186 for a bit on the rd.  Sweet kid, their in K together, cousin just adopted her this spring to add to his 3 girls already.  She is from his wifes side.  Just a crap show for parents...real blessing to add her to our herd of heifers in the neighborhood. 

8930...cleaned all the evap good, resealed lid, new fan switch, resealed where filters go.  Lots of air flow now....and freon all gone..  New evap on way.  Its beatttt up bad and now the end is spattered with dye from freon check.

Dissapointing corn this season.  Alot like this.  Irrigated hard, pumped manure, full tillage and all.  This brand sure over est their days.  Most of the 80d planted late May isnt close.  And we had a hot summer...  Frustrated for sure.  This brand looked pretty nice last year and all over area now looks icky.  The Pioneer test plot up the road was incredible.  It is ready to go..heck 2 weeks ago it was ready.  Way more even too boot.  May be getting some qoutes from them this winter..

20180915_153344.jpg

20180917_143714.jpg

20180917_172604.jpg

What went wrong with your corn. We were wetter than normal in June. Then from July 4 on to aug 15 no rain so soybeans are crap. But corn is probably best we raised on limited moisture. We switched to an integra silage variety this year.

84DF2E31-DE9D-4E0C-AB0E-276E817B8EF8.jpeg

2D93B2D5-3787-43CF-B7AC-1E9071FB8522.jpeg

16 hours ago, dale560 said:

What went wrong with your corn. We were wetter than normal in June. Then from July 4 on to aug 15 no rain so soybeans are crap. But corn is probably best we raised on limited moisture. We switched to an integra silage variety this year.

84DF2E31-DE9D-4E0C-AB0E-276E817B8EF8.jpeg

2D93B2D5-3787-43CF-B7AC-1E9071FB8522.jpeg

Looks decent.  We chopper a lot last 2 days.  Some fields been pretty good to great.  Swaths of 1 variety and some areas at my uncle were like that.  No kernel on top or bottom of ear.  Rows of kernels were.."twisted" around.  Like a genetic defect.  Field right across driveway but dif variety looked great.

55 more to go, little muddy yesterday but just on edge[by road of course] guys got stuck.   Funny is fields i was concerned about were fine and fields i had no fear of were frikin mess!

19 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Looks decent.  We chopper a lot last 2 days.  Some fields been pretty good to great.  Swaths of 1 variety and some areas at my uncle were like that.  No kernel on top or bottom of ear.  Rows of kernels were.."twisted" around.  Like a genetic defect.  Field right across driveway but dif variety looked great.

55 more to go, little muddy yesterday but just on edge[by road of course] guys got stuck.   Funny is fields i was concerned about were fine and fields i had no fear of were frikin mess!

Could you be looking at herbicide damage with the cobs. I know I was late spraying the grain corn a couple years ago. So I googled it and everybody warned on line about spraying tasseling corn. But I guess that’s why they call it farming every year is different. We switched from mycogen to integra brand silage this year and super happy with it. We are 50 miles south of Canadian border here in ND. Don’t know final rain totals for year but we went into spring off a super dry fall last year. Got about 8 inches of rain the middle  of may to July 3. Then it shut off. Got. 20 and 30 hundredths through July and August. It surprised me corn could survive until it rained again in September but soybeans are a bust next to corn. Pioneer products in corn are tough to beat though.