Btd 6 rebuild progress and possible tips, Interpiller

stageone

This is the bit I like, putting it together after painting. The hydraulics are starting to get a little busy, but I am glad with the size pump I fitted, seems to be a good balance. Next stop is the blade it self, but that's a few weeks away.

post-63610-0-33018700-1463472770_thumb.j

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man you sure are a good artist, designer and fabricator! That one picture where you said it was ugly is a thing of beauty to a fabricator! VERY nice work and documentation! That kind of work is what makes me keep going on projects! Was just thinking tonight how the old TD6 would be a nice project to work on. I just don't have the skills to get in to the custom work your doing, especially the hydraulics

Again great job!

Regards,

Chris

• 2 months later...

Well it's getting closer to the end. Set up the blade hydraulics today and am most happy, the dozer blade with tilt and half breed loader idea worked better than expected. It's hard to explain so I might have to figure out how to post a small vid, How?  I have recycled some of the parts off the old tool bar set up like the diverter valve, rams and heavily modified push arms. Wish I took better pic's of what the machine used to look like before restored. This pic is the working prototype so the blade is as it was and as rough as. Maths a great but some times you just want to see an idea work before you make it look good. Will admit that the main supply hoses to the blade radius is not ideal but there was no better way of doing it without mega $$ swivels. A couple of short hoses every couple of years is ok. 

blade.jpg

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 0:14 PM, sugarmaker said:

Man you sure are a good artist, designer and fabricator! That one picture where you said it was ugly is a thing of beauty to a fabricator! VERY nice work and documentation! That kind of work is what makes me keep going on projects! Was just thinking tonight how the old TD6 would be a nice project to work on. I just don't have the skills to get in to the custom work your doing, especially the hydraulics

Again great job!

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris. I hope I can make hydraulics as simple as I can.  It's just the flow of oil, you can have have a high flow but low psi, like a water pump. Or a low flow but very high psi like enerpac's. To have more of both means more power input. A 55hp engine can run 90 L a minute at 2200psi (roughly) with a little power left over. The trick I found is to make sure your vale blocks and hoses can run more otherwise you get heating of oil and loss of "flow, wasting power". And keep hoses away from legs and people, oil injection from pin holed hoses is not cool!!  

• 3 weeks later...

And still slowly working away at it. The tilt worked well enough I allowed the cost of the 12volt diverter valve so it can be all done from the seat at the flick of a switch. Almost finished the scoop/ bucket clip on but real work calls. It will never be a real front end loader because it can't lift high enough to dump into a ute/ trailer without pulling the side out of it. However this is going to save me many days of shovelling!! This is also one of the last attachments ,the post hole digger will be built when I can get the right parts out of the scrap bin, so it's not long till I have to face the fact of getting dirt on it. 

scoop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Man that is a awesome fab project on the dump bucket. What you really need is to come to North West Pa, pick up the TD6 dozer loader, restore it, do your work then then just bring it back! Plenty of bucket height to load those trucks!

Cant wait to see the dirt being pushed!

Regards,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Very excited right now, after all the fitting, machining, welding, grinding, hammering and the global chase of parts my little machine will be trucked down to my property to actually work tomorrow morning. I will post the results and some photo's of the test and tune tomorrow. Then the damage report from working.

Well it was it worked, Worked very well. Put 8 hours on the clock so now it has a total of 11. That crazy bucket idea is a total success and is saving hours of manual handling and backhoe hire to pick and carry rubble/ material to new locations on my (rather large) building site. The hydraulic upgrade is working well with the accidental safety feature that allows the operator to know the load is too heavy, as the rear of the machine will lift instead of the bucket. There were no mechanical faults so far only an adjustment on the main engine clutch that slipped under heavy load, easy fix, still being run in. The area I am in contains a poor soil when dry on top of the hills that turns to a very fine powder and covers everything when pounded by grouses. That blower fan was a fine upgrade and pushes a nice dust storm in front of it, engine stays at 80 d C when worked and cools to 60 when at idle, hydraulic oil at 60 d c max. Still have 30+ cubic meters of top soil to shovel and a few cubes of rocks tomorrow but and confident this is way better than trying to push it. After that the bucket bolt on comes off and test out the tilt function. Here's a couple of pics, haven't put the full engine cowls on due to the fact I want to see if there are any leaks in there and ease of adjustment.  

bucket 2.jpg

Very Nice !!!    Love the "STAGEONE MANUFACTURING"    "Scoopz-all Bucket "

Dozer operator I am not. However the machine now has 25 hours on it and so far no faults, no loss of coolant and has only used about 30 litres of fuel. Only problem other than myself is maybe I put to light a hydraulic oil, a 65 and I am now thinking that old pump was made for engine oil. It most likely needs a rebuild, starts off strong when the oil is cool but soon loses pressure and gets slow with the revs up there to get it to lift. I will run with it for now to get a few things around the place done, then pull it out. Other than that it is really a surprisingly grunty little machine that will power into a pile of dirt or rocks till I get scared and pull the clutch. Due to it's pick and carry ability it's already given birth to new landscaping ideas like this retaining wall I only thought of yesterday, I can build/ fill 3 meters a day ( and I don't work that hard at home), 14 meters to go. It's cost me a lot but it's also starting to save money to.   

wall of rocks.jpg

Wow! Just awesome to see all your hard work pay off! Glad you put those protective cow screens on it too!:)

That bucket is a very neat build and will save you much time and labor!

Thanks for taking the time to stop and take some pictures for us too!

Regards,

Chris

On 20/07/2014 at 7:17 PM, stageone said:

Rebuilding the engine was easy, parts a common here. Had the injector pump bumped up 5% but kept the same 1600 rpm. Amazing how many new off the self parts you can still get for these AD264's. Injectors, water jacket covers and all, Toyota glow plugs seem to work well. None of the same could be said a bout the clutch, full fab rebuild.

engine1.gif

The Aussie built AD-264 although never fitted to a crawler is virtually the same as the British built BD-264. The best thing about these engines is that parts are generally still available here in Australia,  Try finding parts for an American built D-264 engine in Australia - different story! 

In Australia usually parts for the D-264 & D-350 engines have to be sourced from North America at great $xpens$

Replacing the original glow plugs with Toyota (Land Cruiser ???) ones seems to a local Australian idea, I've never heard of the Brits using them.

Regards from Michael H.B)

• 3 weeks later...

The machine is still working well. Losing a bit of paint from the push arms, tracks and rollers giving it the nice used look. Even after a couple of metal hydraulic lines got a little bent up pushing dead trees, I really have to build a stick rake. I am not much of an operator but how tedious is it trying to push timber/ big sticks with a straight blade and not rip the top off the soil??!! If I leave the blade just off the ground sooner and not later a trunk will roll, somehow get under it then lift it just a bit, then lose the whole load. I am not about to call the scrap metal guy yet. Spent a bit of time drawing up a stick rake clip on today, a nice little cat style SU, but as real  work calls so it's construction won't start for a month. Will keep you posted. I also really have to get onto that post hole digger now the fence lines are cleared. I was checking out how much it would be to rent one and worked out I can build one for that, that's the hydraulic rock drill type.

Great work StageOne. That thing will earn it's keep for years to come, especially being out in the bush.

Your Interpillar makes a good machine even better.I always liked the BTD6 - great output for a small crawler,& the straight diesel engine is good too.

I'll try & find a few pics of rakes for you.I'm sure I have some buried in my PC.

Don't let those cattle too close...they'll eat the hydraulic lines & anything else not made of heavy steel!

Jim

• 1 month later...

I guess I always knew it wouldn't be a show pony forever. At 52 hours still running fine but is just about due for it's first service and adjustments. I will sort that hydraulic pump out while I'm at it, needs work or replacing. Not going to worry about touching the paint up, settling in to the used look and the push arms lose it quick. Slowly getting better at the operating thing. Started off with a little landscaping to get a feel for it and have now stepped up to sorting out the worst to my boundary fence. The old fence was put in at 1886, by hard men with their 12+ kids for slaves, dirt cheap convict labour, crow bars, cross cut saws, bullocks and horses. Now days and only a few generations on I don't have the luxury. At first look at the steep rocky country it seemed a little overwhelming for one man and his small dozer, out of 1200 meters 300 is really hard going. After thinking I was going to die several times the worst hill cutting is done. That blade tilt function really got a work out and I truly would of been stuffed without it. The photos don't really show how steep it is in both directions. For a rough idea after the cut, I still cant drive my old land rover in 4 wheel drive up because it loses traction, I would have to cut the top of the hill off and that's not going to happen!

cutting.jpg

Archived