Btd 6 rebuild progress and possible tips, Interpiller

You do nice fabrication work and welding!!

Thanks, I get the plates cnc cut if it's got curves so it's a bit of cheating going on there. As for welding there is a bit of a secret there to. There is a lot of competition at work between the boiler makers and turners/fitters, apparently fitters can't weld. So I spend a lot for time trying to get it just right in the hope of getting my boom welding ticket or "god welder" in their eyes one day just to watch them eat their hat and choke!! I still have a way to go. Over in the UK now, hope to find some bits and ideas.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Well I took my machine to a local show as an unfinished project, my first ever and it went well. I only had a couple of rocks thrown at me by the correct police for vandalism but the other 99.9% of people loved it. A great insight for me as a first time exhibitor and some of the effort people put into there machines is belittling, right down to the paper work!! I was lucky there were only 2 other cat d2 crawlers, one original and the other a much older resto so they made mine look good. I don't think crawlers are very welcome at that event because machine movement is very limited and that's understandable.

Back into building the blade mount's for now amongst other non crawler things. It could be a bit of a "Waterloo" moment as it's turning out to be a little harder than I thought blending my new mounts into the old towers in a way that is functional and aesthetically pleasing but I will get there.

post-63610-0-03428000-1443511107_thumb.j

You made that into a nice workable tractor, Stageone (who I now know as Scott), excellent work. Don't loose too much sleep over the 'correct Police'. Just remind them who owns the tractor! Sorry I was on vacation when you where in the UK, would have been good to swap stories. Next time, try and give me a bit more notice - you will always be welcome.

Regards, John

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, no real new content, just bumping my thread so it won't get lost. Been so busy sorting other " Big problem" stuff like building another shed to put stuff in than working on the machine. I don't like to feel cramped.

• 2 weeks later...

Stageone,

That is one bueatifullllll machine! Almost makes me want to bring back the old TD6. Must be something about moving dirt in the sand pile as a kid that makes us want to bring these machines back. You sure do some very nice fab work and welding. Hope you show the guys at work a thing or two also! :)

I see alot of the similarities in my TD6 unit. Not sure I have the en ergy and or resourses to do this ammount of work to a dirt mover? But you sure make it look doable!

Regards,

Chris

I agree. When i am running the T14 and the right track clutch slips and the engine will only hit on 3 and the blade leaks down too fast... I dream of what you accomplished with your rebuild.

Then i check the bank acct, clean the spark plug, and turn right. :)

Great job.

• 2 months later...

As normal have been away for a bit. Progress has slowed due to civil projects under construction, but I still keep chipping away. Nothing worth posting but the new adjustable blade mount are well and truly coming along. Really opened up a Pandora box after cutting and grinding my way though the old ram towers. Lot's of cracks and fatigued steel. Will post some new pictures once I sort it out, little ugly right now.

• 2 months later...

Well back into it again. Been a bit slack on posting, got a lot going on here at the moment. At last I finished the ram mounts and what a mission that turned out to be. After removing all that old steel and old repairs found the left hand side had cracked in half at some time and was on it's way again thanks to all those multi fit holes that have now been plug welded up (only fits one machine now). With the towers themselves both had cracking from under cut welded gussets and corrosion making the material in that area thin. Without a lot of work and about month of time I decided to just plate this problem area over. It's all over now and they are bolted on rams hooked up and working. Now working on the 2 different blade groups I have for it. Naturally the blade I want to use first is the one that needs the most work!!! Building the parts for it now.

post-63610-0-72126500-1460617272_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chris. I have been slowly chipping away turning the original tool blade into something more useful, a cross between the 82 but with the ability to tilt and become a half breed loader when required. Here's a couple of photo's of the progress.

post-63610-0-58827100-1463470700_thumb.j

That's the old tool blade down at the grave yard of possible dreams, this one is of the steel stock I used to make the ram mounts out of. Was hoping to fit it in one post but you know how it is!

post-63610-0-13439700-1463470950_thumb.j

Things often get worse before they get better. I wanted the factory look so the box section had to be tapered. And the old ram towers of the tool blade just won't do.

post-63610-0-22510400-1463471480_thumb.j

Sticking the arms back together required lots of measuring,crack repairs, gussets and about 1 and a half boxes of 4mm welding rods.

post-63610-0-17604200-1463472243_thumb.j