Btd 6 rebuild progress and possible tips, Interpiller

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blast! All thumbs. Above should be "who" and "1960's"

Last time I used neatsfoot oil was on horse hooves.Well I will give it ago then, might even try it at work, results won't be in for 5 years.

I have been informed to use "Stockholm tar" on my grouser plate bolts, he tells me even after years it still comes apart. I have to take note because his dozer repair shop has been around for 30 years. I have all sorts of other "anti seize" products but I don't recommend copper coat. Has anyone worked with this material? could this old treatment be something simple that works?

Yes it works, just ask anybody who owns a dozer, I couldn't imagine neatsfoot oil being much chop.

Reg

Candle wax works also , I believe it is very important to properly tighten the bolts ,with very clean mating surfaces .

Then check and retighten as necessary , If the stretch of the bolts is allowed to relax (loosen) the battle is lost,

Sorry for not updating but it's been a swing of highs and lows. What a mission! Trying to blend all these mods, parts from different machines and the minor error in calculation. At last I have both chains on and am currently fitting the grouser plates. I surely plan to drive this thing out of the shed tomorrow, give it a wash and do some show and shine. I made an error in calculation with the chain length somehow, I should of had 36 links but I came up with 35, cat chains come standard with 36 so I had to pay extra to get one removed. It was all joy till I tried to pull the chain together then total devastation as it was one link to short!! Not wanting to admit defeat, or pay more $$$ to get it added again I cut 3" out of and re welded the track adjuster rod. Much to my surprize it worked out really well, I will never have to remove a link no matter how bad the wear is and it made a long track dozer look very well proportioned. I can't remember how wide the old Inter plates where but now fitting the cat 14" plates and the grouser stands about 3" high! This thing is looking very Grippy, its all track!. It's all working out very well, will post the more tomorrow when this thing walks. After that I will run up a few hours in some rough, steep country to run it in and bring the next bunch of problems out.

post-63610-0-79076300-1430038756_thumb.j

post-63610-0-50804200-1430038783_thumb.j

At last it moved out of the shed!! Did a couple of tests that has destroyed my lawn but that's ok, it all worked well. Turns, stops, works like it should and almost quite. The real truth won't come out till the hours plus field testing. Just waiting on a spring button (the bit the end of the spring rests on), was getting one made but the company went broke, have a second hand one coming. I hope in the next few days to get this part and complete just this stage of the job then commission. There is still heaps more to go like the tree canopy and hydraulics but for now I am happy to get it to move without event, works well. The steep rocky hills will test it and surly get a load on that engine (even if I have to tow a rock/tree), think I have an over fuel problem or a lazy injector but it's not run in. The injector pump has been seen to twice because I wasn't happy with it, top service a BSP, so I am thinking injector, I got new injector nozzels fitted from another company, hoping it's just the engine hasn't been worked hard enough to free things up. Will find out.

post-63610-0-35938200-1430120606_thumb.j

Nice work stageone. However, you will get a bit of trouble from the correct police!! As I always do (mostly with decals).

John

Nice work stageone. However, you will get a bit of trouble from the correct police!! As I always do (mostly with decals).

John

Thanks John! not to worried, and I know what you mean! I also drive one of the very, very last land rover Sires 3's with the factory fitted V8, 3.5L( actually was! called stage ones) and I get the same thing. I had a HI bloke around here the other day getting some bit's and even he was confused. It has the "conical" final drive housings he had never seen before, it is the last and rare( originally fitted with B100 gears). He suggested that I just take it to a show and claim that all the modification re furded original and a very rare merge with HI and cat in the early 70's just to see the correct police race to their parts books!! I couldn't do that but it would be fun, you lot know the truth! Sometimes it won't help here, Oz had lot's of trial/ prototype machines from history, but I moded this one, but as to this day no one has been able to explain it's serial number.

Weather is terrible here at the moment and will be for days. I really shouldn't complain it's only windy, raining and 14degrees C and we don't get snow and -4+ like some of you do. It's a good enough excuse for me to be confined to the shed and all outdoor activity banned. I have started on the tree fall/ roll cage protection for the machine and hope to make some good progress in the next couple of days. The old canopy is cracked, rusted, bent, poor fitting, and out dated beyond the value of repair. Funny, the rest of the machine used to be like that but it's getting a new, more modern ( ok, cat like) canopy. Should have the rough shape by tomorrow, will post the progress.

Still building it. Got one side roughed out and tacked and this is going to be it's final outline. Just got to mirror the other side, add the cross beams get it final straight/square then weld it out. After that add the plate, mesh and paint, easy? The problem is it's now to high to drive out the door of the shed. I did know this would happen so 3 stout lads have been informed I will need a hand in the next few days to lift it off. I do have a bigger shed to park it in once finished but unfortunately has now power and is not fit for construction.

post-63610-0-39161700-1430554575_thumb.j

Would that be FORD blue? Now what we going to call it - Intordapillar? (my spell check doesn't recognise this!)

Would that be FORD blue? Now what we going to call it - Intordapillar? (my spell check doesn't recognise this!)

Not for long John!! That's the primer on the steel.

Only joking, stageone. It sits really well on the tractor.

John

Well it's coming along. Still waiting on the plate section for the back of the roof, but they are so busy it won't be ready till next week, getting it bent up. Just finished up on the welding, got all the mesh on. Personal I found it heaps cheaper to buy rio mesh and heaps thicker than actual woven mesh but it's one of those things of taste. I have gone as far as I can go till the plate is finished so for a few days I will be off doing social events like most people.

post-63610-0-30912700-1430984186_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got it done in the end. I am not used to this much time off and have deemed it mentally unhealthy to keep working on a hobby project like there is no tomorrow. Got it painted a couple of days ago and would have to say mesh is one of the hardest things I have ever had to paint, 3 litres of primer and 4.5 litres of top coat on something this small is not efficient. I wish I could model it on the machine but it would never fit out the car port. After a few days once the paint has gone hard I'll transport the cage to my little place down the hill and put it in the shed that has the height to fit it. As of today I have started ordering the parts to finish the hydraulic system. I was hoping to use a few bits out of the original tank setup but as usual on this machine they were already gone or near rusted through. I will be starting from scratch on this one (again). I am now happy with the pump and hosing so I just have to make in a much bigger tank, fit a 3 spool valve body and blend it all in. Will take a couple of weeks.

post-63610-0-39135800-1431931696_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad this project is slowly drawing to an end. Still there is a lot of work to go but with my latest acquisition I have a bit more raw material to work with. The blade group is the last thing I need to compete this work and it turns out the blade off this will fit with some with less hectic modification than first thought. I don't like the idea of welding trunnion balls to my track frames so I am slowly coming up with a bolt on idea. I wish I came across this old BTD8 82 a year ago, so many bits I can use, without re-inventing the wheel! The rippers are already at the sand blasters.

post-63610-0-25318000-1433315030_thumb.j

The new hydraulic tank is finished as well. Painted today and hope to fit it all up in the next few days and do a few system tests, now holding 40L. I will post more as it happens.

post-63610-0-46566600-1433316021_thumb.j