Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob30

CAT Highway Trucks

Cat did come out with a second model truck, which was unveiled(along with 60 new machines) at ConExpo in March of 2014. The truck model is CT681 and is based off of the SFA Paystar. And actually some time after Cat started building on highway engines, Paccar tried to get Cat to make a contract to only sell to them(paccar) and Cat said no.

Cat did come out with a second model truck, which was unveiled(along with 60 new machines) at ConExpo in March of 2014. The truck model is CT681 and is based off of the SFA Paystar. And actually some time after Cat started building on highway engines, Paccar tried to get Cat to make a contract to only sell to them(paccar) and Cat said no.

Yes exactly.

The CT681 is a Navistar truck just like the CT660, supposedly there is still a CT680 coming - what will it be & who is going to be building it is the question.

And yes, Paccar tried to get Cat to become the exclusive supplier for them and Cat said no, more than once - in my opinion - a dumb move. Not completely without merit though, back when the 3116 was introduced it was in partnership with GM, Cat wanted to sell to other manufacturers that would have tripled the sales and GM said no way.

Paccar finally came out with their own engine and told Cat they would no longer purchase Cat engines - that was basically when Cat announced they would cease to produce on-highway engines. IMO but IDK for sure, without Paccar sales (70% of total on-highway engine sales), Cat could not afford to keep up with emissions standards at the rate the EPA was enforcing them.

I think, the Cat truck was born out of this, Cat wanted to make Paccar pay for their decision. Unfortunately the first attempt flopped. But do you think Cat will let that stop them?

I always thought Cat should have built a truck when they first started building on highway engines in 1962. Cat trucks then would have been comparable to Mack, Autocar and heavy duty IH trucks. Now theres a lot of plastic and thin chrome.

Cat has announced it will begin building its trucks in Texas in 2016 rather than having them built by Navistar.

Details at http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/story/2015/07/cat-to-split-with-navistar-build-its-own-vocational-trucks.aspx?utm_campaign=Breaking-News-20150728&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter&btm_ea=aHJwbGV0Y2hAZ21haWwuY29t

There is a photo of the CT-680 model in this article.

Yes exactly.

The CT681 is a Navistar truck just like the CT660, supposedly there is still a CT680 coming - what will it be & who is going to be building it is the question.

And yes, Paccar tried to get Cat to become the exclusive supplier for them and Cat said no, more than once - in my opinion - a dumb move. Not completely without merit though, back when the 3116 was introduced it was in partnership with GM, Cat wanted to sell to other manufacturers that would have tripled the sales and GM said no way.

Paccar finally came out with their own engine and told Cat they would no longer purchase Cat engines - that was basically when Cat announced they would cease to produce on-highway engines. IMO but IDK for sure, without Paccar sales (70% of total on-highway engine sales), Cat could not afford to keep up with emissions standards at the rate the EPA was enforcing them.

I think, the Cat truck was born out of this, Cat wanted to make Paccar pay for their decision. Unfortunately the first attempt flopped. But do you think Cat will let that stop them?

Paccar engines are Cummins painted grey.

Cat has announced it will begin building its trucks in Texas in 2016 rather than having them built by Navistar.

Details at http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/story/2015/07/cat-to-split-with-navistar-build-its-own-vocational-trucks.aspx?utm_campaign=Breaking-News-20150728&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter&btm_ea=aHJwbGV0Y2hAZ21haWwuY29t

There is a photo of the CT-680 model in this article.

I wonder if they will still use Navistar engines.

Navistar is in talks with GM to build their medium duty trucks, they also solicited ford but they said no.

This news really baffles me. Cat truck volume is very, very low. Where would the engines come from? Obviously, Cat would be the logical answer. But the numbers just don't seem to pencil out in my mind. I just told my brother a couple of minutes ago that I can count the number of Cat-branded trucks I have seen on both my hands over the last several years...and I travel a lot. Most of those trucks had a Cat dealer's name on the door. I literally see more Western Stars than Cats.

Obviously, there is a piece of the puzzle that I am not aware of that is coming into play. Is a major iron competitor of Cat's getting into the truck business in North America? I could see a company like CNH Industrial wanting to sell trucks in North America. The only way to grow that business is by purchase...cause we know that the name IVECO won't work.

Here is what I found from an article by Tom Berg of Heavy Duty Trucking:

“We anticipate that an announcement on a 15-liter engine will be made soon,” said Dave Schmitz, vocational truck product manager, repeating a statement of several months ago. But “Caterpillar has no plans to get back into the truck-engine market,” so the source of that engine remains confidential.

The MF15 is dead, maybe they will use an ISX. Only other option would be the DD15 and the D15. Unless they source a man out Scania engine.

You sure about paccar being cummins? At paccar open house they didn't look anything like cummins. Local paccar dealer won't even run paccar engines. Friend works there and said they are huge junk piles. Last set of new Pete milk trucks (80 iirc) have them and the drivers Hate em

Yes, the smaller Paccar engines were Cummins-based...at least at one point. As to the present time, I can't say.

PACCAR and Cummins Announce Class 6/7 Engine Agreement June 26, 2006, Bellevue, Washington PACCAR Inc and Cummins Inc. today announced an agreement for the Cummins 6- and 8-liter engines to be installed exclusively in Peterbilt and Kenworths North American conventional medium-duty commercial vehicles, effective January 1, 2007.

The bigger Paccar engines are based on a DAF engine, I think.

I would suspect that Cat's engine offering will be European in origin. That is where the most efficient and clean on-highway engines seem to be coming from at the moment. This Tier-4 nonsense has been a huge hurdle and DEF seems to be the best solution. Has there ever been a Sisu engine used in a trucking application?

You sure about paccar being cummins? At paccar open house they didn't look anything like cummins. Local paccar dealer won't even run paccar engines. Friend works there and said they are huge junk piles. Last set of new Pete milk trucks (80 iirc) have them and the drivers Hate em

Comercial chassis we had sitting here had an ISL dont recall truck model or engine HP. Not sure about large bore offerings.

Yes, the smaller Paccar engines were Cummins-based...at least at one point. As to the present time, I can't say.

PACCAR and Cummins Announce Class 6/7 Engine Agreement June 26, 2006, Bellevue, Washington PACCAR Inc and Cummins Inc. today announced an agreement for the Cummins 6- and 8-liter engines to be installed exclusively in Peterbilt and Kenworths North American conventional medium-duty commercial vehicles, effective January 1, 2007.

The bigger Paccar engines are based on a DAF engine, I think.

I would suspect that Cat's engine offering will be European in origin. That is where the most efficient and clean on-highway engines seem to be coming from at the moment. This Tier-4 nonsense has been a huge hurdle and DEF seems to be the best solution. Has there ever been a Sisu engine used in a trucking application?

With all of the emissions tech out there maybe CAT will do what Navistar did and buy the emissions devices/tech from a company and reintroduce their OTR engines. Unless CAT still thinks using more cooled egr and DOC is the way to go (Navistar and JD learned their lessons).

One of the greatest benefits of CAT hiring IH to build their trucks was the ability to quickly and easily exit the business. If they would have started production in their own plant in Texas the costs incurred by exiting would have been magnitudes greater.

CAT was marketing their name with a vocational truck attached, plain and simple.

What platform are the Au Cat trucks built on?

Cat offered 2 highway tractors in Australia, the CT-610 based on the Transtar and the CT-630 based on the Prostar. I don't know if the CT-660 and 680 Paystar based trucks that were sold in the US were offered in Australia.

post-425-0-08394100-1458693464_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-30879700-1458693491_thumb.jpg