Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob30

CAT Highway Trucks

FYI. Have unlce and several friend that run into Cali. They DO check your truck for emissions etc before you get your permit to travel in the state. Not sure how long the tag is good for. Also you may not run a older than 10 year old OTR truck. Friend got a 2003 379 Pete for a fair deal since the owner needed a new truck by 1-1-14. I know ag is exempt but not sure on instate only trucks. It uses less energy to build a new on than run a old run right? STuuuoopid. Also you need to have the air dams under the trailers as well.

Troy dairy- i was talking to someone who has a 94 Pete iirc and lives in California. He has a 3406B cat. He is good till 2015 then after that is a c15 with the dpf filter.

Just retarded. It is way 'greener' to continue to use a older vehicle than to build a new one. 90% of a machines footprint [bS] is manufacturing.

Agree on the retarded.

Cal has a standard fruit station at every highway into the state, so they are probably doing the checking.

I recently saw the chief monkey giving a speech about how they are going to push more fed regulations on diesels. Supposedly this is not new? First I had heard of it.

Our 98 Freightliner with a 3406E cat is currently in Los Angeles [actually in Pomona] waiting for the driver to recover from a broken hip.

It got to Los Angeles by delivering military cargo from Norfolk VA to San Diego. The job originated at the compound in Pensacola Fl.

You do not have to retrofit or meet any emission requirements newer than the certification of the delivered age of the vehicle.

Ca could have registration restrictions (local restrictions) that we do not care about since we are registered and operating out of Florida BUT on the Interstate Highway system the 98 all stock is legal.

Basically, the federally inspired law, says if the truck is legal in Florida (any state) it can been driven in all 50 states.

Oleman, Thank you for clarifying this issue , The question of California "allowing " out of state vehicles to operate without conforming to

their standards has been bashed about on many forums , Very nice to hear first hand information

A friend out of Cally stopped by last Saturday he said he sold his trucking Company because he got tired of all the BS. Another comment he made was he knew of 90 trucking company's that moved out of Cally to other states to avoid Cally's BS he said they still operate in Cally just not based there anymore.

You would think someone in the Cally Government would notice the noise of a stampede of all the company's leaving the state with their cashola?

A friend out of Cally stopped by last Saturday he said he sold his trucking Company because he got tired of all the BS. Another comment he made was he knew of 90 trucking company's that moved out of Cally to other states to avoid Cally's BS he said they still operate in Cally just not based there anymore.

You would think someone in the Cally Government would notice the noise of a stampede of all the company's leaving the state with their cashola?[/quote

You are assuming that the people coming up with this b/s would be smart enough to recognize what is happening and then understanding why it happened... that would be a stretch

Our 98 Freightliner with a 3406E cat is currently in Los Angeles [actually in Pomona] waiting for the driver to recover from a broken hip.

It got to Los Angeles by delivering military cargo from Norfolk VA to San Diego. The job originated at the compound in Pensacola Fl.

You do not have to retrofit or meet any emission requirements newer than the certification of the delivered age of the vehicle.

Ca could have registration restrictions (local restrictions) that we do not care about since we are registered and operating out of Florida BUT on the Interstate Highway system the 98 all stock is legal.

Basically, the federally inspired law, says if the truck is legal in Florida (any state) it can been driven in all 50 states.

Working in a shop that services trucks as well as equipment, I can describe what I have seen being done, but not the law beyond what I can Google search.

We have had about a dozen late 90's / early 00' trucks get a DPF kit installed. The kit costs around $20k, the owners of these trucks are getting a gov backed check for installing this however it does not cover the whole investment. All I have heard anyone claim is they have to do it to run in Cali'. I know they don't have to have it to run here or any other state in our region.

This is what I found at the Cali' EPA website....

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/multirule.pdf

Whether "all trucks operating in Cali'" means all trucks period or in state owned IDK...

We have a fleet dump trucks 10 of which are Navistar maxforce. We are sending 5 of them away and buying some new Peterbuilts ISX. Boss did maintenance cost on the old trucks comparing them to the newer Navistar Maxforce and it was cheaper to run the old Iron. The 5 that are going away have around 100,000 miles them.

Jess

having worked at an international truck dealer for 10 years and now working at a cat dealership since 2011, I can tell you we have had a rough ride with the new trucks, the biggest problem we had at first was the plant where the trucks were made, the workers were under the impression that they were in the middle of a hostle takeover, and yes the trucks are partly made by Navistar, the qc was extremely poor for the first 6 months, then they closed the factory in texas and moved it to mexico, and sad to say for an American the problems almost completely went away for a time, then the problem was the workers in mexico only want to work for 6 months at a time and then quit and go somewhere else so now you have to train a whole new batch of workers, and that has been the newest problem, as far as the engines go, everyone new international made a mistake when they decided to not use urea, and used enhanced egr instead, the coolers plug, then leak coolant internally and eventually wipe out the turbo then run away the engine, old news right? but now that we have started using urea the engine problems have almost completely gone away, I won't say there aren't glitches here and there but nothing like it was, I just hope the damage isn't already done. I won't call the engines junk, the base engine is remarkably good, its just the anti pollution systems (we'll call it) can be touchy, but no more than any other brand, I can tell you being cummins certified as well.

So now I heard Cat has a wholely Cat built truck in the works?

Actual Cat engine, trans, driveline, chassis, cab.

I don't know this, just a rumor I over-heard a month or so ago.

We got a grant to get a new fire truck for the department I volunteer with. We were all set for a brand new IH 6x6 (for a time we even looked at having the first and possibly only lonestar cab on a 6x6 chassis). But they IH wouldn't build a fire truck with anything other than a maxxforce (I think it's cummins that is still an option in the OTR trucks). Departments used to all love IH chassis if they could get them due to much higher quality of the components from cab on down, but so many have have reliability issues that the fire truck buisiness might be just about done. We ended up going with Freightliner just for that reason. The reliability departments have been getting is so much better and we weren't willing to take a risk on that.

I hated having to admit to the chief that the Freightliner looked like the better choice for us.

As far as the CAT trucks, I see some running around Fairbanks in tractor and dump truck form. I don't know how many the dealer has actually sold though.

As far as the CAT trucks, I see some running around Fairbanks in tractor and dump truck form. I don't know how many the dealer has actually sold though.

Here at the St. Cloud, MN Ziegler, despite our ernst efforts to push the Cat truck, there have only been 3 customer owned Cat trucks through our shop in the last 3 yrs. We have several of them in our rental fleet set up as water trucks and a couple of those have been through, we also have one or two set up as lowboy trucks in our delivery fleet, but I personally have never seen one driving down the road.

I guess you can't believe everything you hear.

Cat just announced a second model:

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/equipment/article/story/2014/12/test-drive-caterpillar-s-new-ct681.aspx?ref=rel-recommended

It's still built by International to Cat's specs, does have a Cat auto trans as does the first model, but it's unlikely you'll see a Cat engine in a highway vehicle in the foreseeable future.

Here in Jersey, Cat trucks are seen quite a bit, but still aren't as common as International, Mack, KW, Pete or freightliner. the Cat trucks are built by Navistar according to Cats specs. The newest one( CT681 I think) is based off the Paystar. The engines are actually a mix of Cat and International parts. The only major problems with the engines is the emissions junk.

I guess you can't believe everything you hear.

Cat just announced a second model:

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel/equipment/article/story/2014/12/test-drive-caterpillar-s-new-ct681.aspx?ref=rel-recommended

It's still built by International to Cat's specs, does have a Cat auto trans as does the first model, but it's unlikely you'll see a Cat engine in a highway vehicle in the foreseeable future.

I did see that one a bit back, still a Navistar I know. But even the article there talks about there still being a MxFx 15 program and to wait for future releases as well as a CT680 in the works.

The 15L was supposed to be the Cat based engine, with a Navistar fuel/emissions package, but Cat has there own DEF C15 now.

No matter what's really happening, I'm not holding my breathe, just hope it works out better than the CT660 has.

Cat is currently marketing two trucks, the CT660 and CT681(I think it's called that). They both use Cat transmissions, but I believe they use Meritor axles. The CT681 was introduced in March of 2014 at ConExpo in LasVegas, Nevada. My company was in the expo, so I got to actually look at the trucks. The C15 is, as far as I know, no longer used. It was dropped and the Maxxforce 13 was used in its place. All of the Navistar diesel are going to now use Cummins emissions equipment.

Cat is currently marketing two trucks, the CT660 and CT681(I think it's called that). They both use Cat transmissions, but I believe they use Meritor axles. The CT681 was introduced in March of 2014 at ConExpo in LasVegas, Nevada. My company was in the expo, so I got to actually look at the trucks. The C15 is, as far as I know, no longer used. It was dropped and the Maxxforce 13 was used in its place. All of the Navistar diesel are going to now use Cummins emissions equipment.

Sorry for the multiple posts. The phone froze and posted a few extra.

Looks like some of this thread got the chop with the server crash.

Re-cap of what I had posted. I may be / have been off on some of this, I work on the equipment side, not trucks unless I have too.

C13 was the MF 13 painted yellow, little to nothing related to the Cat C13.

The MF15 was dropped when the Non DEF emissions was found to not make certification. MF15 was going to be based on Cat C15. As far as I know, no MF/Cat C15s were released to the public.

MF13 wasn't going to make certification either, Navistar was up the foul smelling creek without propulsion & had to go to the Cummins built DEF system. Nav & Cat had heavily invested in nobody accepting DEF & made no plans / had no DEF project in the works.

Rumor mill has a wholly Cat built truck coming, then there's the talk of a CT680 model to be announced - heresay - I vouch for none of that rumor. However, there had to be some red faces and choice words in Cat Corporate's board rooms over the lack of success with the Cat truck. I don't see the partnership being long term as of now due to the failure. Then there's the Cummins equipment in a Cat - that's a bit much for Cat as well as many of it's customers. Imagine if a CIH tractor came with a JD engine or trans.

Cat has their own C13 and C15 engines with a Cat made DEF system in equiment now. The reason for the original excitement over the CT's was to still get a Cat engine in a truck after Cat discontinued selling on-highway truck engines. If Cat wants their truck to succeed I believe it will have to have a Cat built engine in it.

Time will tell. IMO, back when Paccar started it's engine program, Cat should have stepped in & signed on as their exclusive engine supplier, they would have had to quit selling to Freightliner & Navistar + others, but Paccar was the biggest buyer anyways.

That's my take, & thank god RPF is back!

Cat did come out with a second model truck, which was unveiled(along with 60 new machines) at ConExpo in March of 2014. The truck model is CT681 and is based off of the SFA Paystar. And actually some time after Cat started building on highway engines, Paccar tried to get Cat to make a contract to only sell to them(paccar) and Cat said no.