Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farmall666

392 4V GAS ENGINE

ONE OF MY BUDDIES DEER HUNTING SCHOOL BUS/CAMPER BLEW THE ENGINE HEADING UP NORT WISC. I THINK ITS A 1985 392 4 BARREL CARB ENGINE. HE SAID HE WOULD TAKE A 345 EVEN IF IT RAN GOOD. P.M. IF ANYONE WOULD HAVE ONE. ALSO WHAT YEARS AND WHAT OTHER SIZES FIT?

Well the SV's (304. 345, 392) should all work in place of his blown 392. I would think any of those from a 70's or 80s IH would be fine. Any idea what transmission he has? What exacty blew up? Threw a rod or spun bearings? Those are kinda hard to kill, but I do have a 392 crank and connecting rods laying around if the blocks good.

If it uses motor mounts on the side of the block he can't go older than about 74 or 75. Other than that, some of the older ones used a longer flange on the rear of the crankshaft if used with an automatic transmission rather than a manual one.

DIDNT IH USE THE 392 AND 345 IN THE 15 SERIES COMNINES ALSO? HE HAS A 5/2 SPEED TRANSMISION HE SAID I USED LIKE 6 QURTS OF OIL IN 10 MILES SOMETHING LIKE THAT.. HE FIGURED IT LOST A PISTON..STARTED TO MISS HEAVY.

Farmall666 there was a 392 with a transmission on Craigslist under the Southwest MI heading. I saw it there last week. I know it might be quite the drive for a hunting bus.

I wonder if it broke the rings on a piston and all the oil blow by cause the spark plug to foul. I would think throwing a rod would make a heck of a lot more noise. But, a later 345 or 392 should work fine for him. He may miss the extra torque the 392 has if he goes 345 though.

DAZ WHAT HEADING WOULD IT BE LISTED UNDER?

Those motor mounts swap out. The holes are there.

When I went to put a 345 engine from a 72 pickup into a 75 chassis the side motor mount holes were missing. I had to get a bit creative to make it work.

I put a 392 from a '75 1 ton into my '73 1510 and the holes were there. Must go the other way. Later ones have the holes?

Duh, the original poster says it is an 85 V392.

I am thinking it would have to be an MV engine.

Don't believe the SV lasted until 85.

Of course I could be wrong but I will have to be convinced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IH did make a motor home chassis that could have sat around for years and would have been registered when it was finally built out as that year.

IIRC,the last 345 and 392 engines were available only in bus chassis for the beginning of 1985. At that time IH dominated the school bus chassis business and had kept the SV in the lineup to prevent market share loss to Ford's gas offering. And they were also having problems getting the diesel engines to produce enough heat to warm interiors of the larger passenger capacity units in colder climates.

Up until 1985 Schwan's was buying a lot of IH chassis with gas engines and converting them to propane. The 1984 model year was the newest I saw until 2003. They couldn't get the new GMC models converted fast enough and were running out of new chassis for replacements. They bought 80 IH trucks in January that year.