Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Durango

Thinking about getting a loadstar 1700

Hello,

I have been thinking about getting a 1976 loadstar 1700 as a hobby truck and maybe as a part time local hauler and want your guy's opinion.

I've heard some good things and bad things about them but want to hear more about them from you experts.

I know this truck will need a new motor as it had a rod go through the block and cracked the block. I believe it has a mv 446 motor in it. It is a 5 speed with a 2 speed rear end. I've ridden in it a long time ago and I know it's brakes are fine most of the time but they will go soft sometimes. Do you guys think a new brake vacuum will fix it? It broke down in 2010 and has been sitting since, occasionally towed around the equipment yard. It has a dumping flatbed which I think is pretty cool. My great grand father bought It ( I think he bought it new) as a farm truck and my dad has driven it a lot too so that's part of the reason I want to buy it.

post-94176-0-41141900-1379871287_thumb.j

post-94176-0-72599800-1379871306_thumb.j

post-94176-0-20347100-1379871327_thumb.j

post-94176-0-96079600-1379871365_thumb.j

sorry. not an expert. but i grew up driving loadstars. never had an mv engine. from what my dad says they were ok on power. ok on longevity. and crap on fuel. i own the older brother to that 1700. mine is a 392 with a 5+2.

you could slide a 6.9/7.3 idi right in its place if you wanted. or find another mv. or even an sv8. the drivetrain of a loadstar is bulletproof. thats why goverment/construction/schools/food companies. all ordered them as fleet vehicles. from grain truck. to dump truck. to school bus. ita nimble yet tough. your gvwr should be like 25,500. so its no pushover. that flat bed is way cool. get some ramps and you have a car hauler.

id take it. if anything ill buy it off you down the road lol. good luck with it

sorry. not an expert. but i grew up driving loadstars. never had an mv engine. from what my dad says they were ok on power. ok on longevity. and crap on fuel. i own the older brother to that 1700. mine is a 392 with a 5+2.

you could slide a 6.9/7.3 idi right in its place if you wanted. or find another mv. or even an sv8. the drivetrain of a loadstar is bulletproof. thats why goverment/construction/schools/food companies. all ordered them as fleet vehicles. from grain truck. to dump truck. to school bus. ita nimble yet tough. your gvwr should be like 25,500. so its no pushover. that flat bed is way cool. get some ramps and you have a car hauler.

id take it. if anything ill buy it off you down the road lol. good luck with it

Sorry I am a new to IH.

what engine is the 6.9 and 7.3 engines?

If I put in one of those engines in would I be able to bolt it on the existing transmission or would I have to swap it out with an other one?

I have thought about adding ramps to it too lol. I wonder if it can haul a cat D6C.

I think it has the dumping flatbed because it has a dump box in the yard for dirt etc and there's a water tank in the yard so it can be a water truck, flat

bed, or dump truck.

the 6.9 and 7.3 are indirect injection diesels loosely based on the mv blocks. alot of people hate that example. but they were based on the mv idea.

the 392 v8 has the same hp numbers and just a few less ft/lbs of torque and a bit better mpg numbers.

as far as i know the trans should mate to the 6.9/7.3.

others will chime in. the 6.9 and 7.3 are good honest diesels from a time forgotten. can they compete with the t444/7.3 powerstroke. no. are they good at what they do? yes

I have a 1600 Sundance which is a twin to your's. Mine's a 345 4sp, 2 spd. Eason

loadstarandhydro186003.jpg

Loadstars are excellent trucks im new to the forms as well and couldnt be happier with the knowledge ive been getting from the members on here. that being said if the old girl has a worthy trans,cab,frame,rears and looks like she wasnt abused her whole life id say its more than worthy of a new motor, these old things are tough but beware the rust issues mine was a state highway truck for many years and this truck taught me how to weld, best of luck with your loadstar.

D6C would be way too much load for single axle truck----best to put it on low slung trailer. Carry weight on trailer and truck------just about in weight class to qualify for lowboy.

Good luck----

DD

D6C would be way too much load for single axle truck----best to put it on low slung trailer. Carry weight on trailer and truck------just about in weight class to qualify for lowboy.

Good luck----

DD

Yes, pretty sure a D6 Cat would exceed the GVW by quite a bit. These trucks will haul way more than they are rated though . My 1600 has a 19,700 GVW but when the grain box is filled with wheat it will weigh in closer to 30,000 pounds. No problems hauling that weight but the 304 will take a while to get it up to speed.

Clarifying-------the truck would move with the load alright; but you would be dangerously overloaded on single axle tires---suspension----brakes, etc.

A D6C Cat would feel extremely top heavy on any single axle flat bed. I did move my TD-14 a short distance once on my 1600 with roll back implement bed. Did not want that precarious feeling again------D6C is heavier tractor than the TD-14.

Truck would pull/move trailer OK.

DD

I won't try moving a d6c with the truck, I don't want to break either the truck or dozer lol.

The truck hasn't been registered with the California DMV since 1998 and I am kind of scared about the price of re-registering with the dmv.

Registration also has me in a conundrum. When I put a new engine in it and get it running, I have to reregister it to get it out of the yard and country roads. But I have to have proof of smog to get it registered. The truck is in a farm equipment yard about 25 miles away from a smog station to get it tested in town. So I wonder, can it be temporally allowed registration to get it smogged?

Get a move permit. Quick and easy. Pretty much no questions asked. Get one for state to state and it will last longer. They don't care what you actually do with it.

The 1700 is a real nice truck for that vintage.I have a 76 as well even in Ca.The only problem is it looses brake fluid but doesn't have any showing up outside.May loose less if I us it everyday which i have been hauling water to cattle.There is a smog equipment chart on engine fire wall that says 404,but other than that I cannot say what it is.When I hauled grain with it about 35 miles round trip with 2 real hills to go over all slow country road it averaged just over 7 miles to the gallon.I bought it from a equipment jockey that got it at auction,but had not been licensed for a few years.Took tidal to DMV and got moving permittee,and asked for paper work to register as a farm vehicle.Boy did that get the girl stirred up,I say it is replacing a farm vehicle so why not.Watering cattle then to so had a water tank on the flat bed in the picture that was sent to Sacramento with the rest of the paper work.Paper work came back calling it a water truck and they never wanted a smog on it.May end up costing someday but good for now.I have been told Dmv offices in the San Joaquin valley can be much more farmer friendly,but don't know.So far put a none op on all the junk here in my yard and you give them 10 maybe 15 bucks and your good forever.Go ask are good public servants what the status of the truck is,they can only make you mad or save you big bucks.Traded for a 60 Chev C60 I wanted parts off of wanted a moving permit,and was asked for all back fees about $2000, no thank you I can haul it.Then do you have a dismantler's license? So be careful what you say to are public servants because they don't serve very well some times. Oh the Chev is here missing a transmission,so if anyone needs a door or something call because I don't need any more pieces of it. I can see hauling 10 ton on a 1700. Oh but the price if they catch you,but a D6c is closer to 15 ton I think.The 1700 would be worth a engine transplant but may need to get it out of Cal.to make it possible.

Ray

Get a move permit. Quick and easy. Pretty much no questions asked. Get one for state to state and it will last longer. They don't care what you actually do with it.

Thank you M Diesel, I thought I was screwed until you said that.

The 1700 would be worth a engine transplant but may need to get it out of Cal.to make it possible.

Ray

That would suck if I had to move it out of state.

I'm hoping you don't have too much trouble with CA rules. Should have mentioned that in the first place but forgot about how Nazi like that place has become.

In NV I just showed title and a temp insurance and bammo, good to go. I ended up doing both types. Drove it Pahrump to Vegas (inside Nevada) with a simple 10 day regular permit and then did a state to state to drive it to the farm in Missouri. 15 day permit as I recall. Both were cheap, at least in Nevada.

I don't remember who I talked to, but if it is being towed, it may not require any legal paper at all. May have been MO, but don't recall. With CA, who knows.

I'm hoping you don't have too much trouble with CA rules. Should have mentioned that in the first place but forgot about how Nazi like that place has become.

In NV I just showed title and a temp insurance and bammo, good to go. I ended up doing both types. Drove it Pahrump to Vegas (inside Nevada) with a simple 10 day regular permit and then did a state to state to drive it to the farm in Missouri. 15 day permit as I recall. Both were cheap, at least in Nevada.

I don't remember who I talked to, but if it is being towed, it may not require any legal paper at all. May have been MO, but don't recall. With CA, who knows.

I don't plan on towing it due to its size and since its not a normal vehicle like a pick up the tow truck might charge me an arm and a leg.

Yeah it does suck living in California. All these laws are getting me paranoid lol. There is way too many laws and it is just confusing when you want to get something done. I am going to ask my boss if it is ok if I keep it at the shop and work on it in the shop because it would be so much more easier leaving it out there until it gets smoged if they sell it.