Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loadstar369

6v53 and the ih 5 speed

Hi im new to this forum so go easy on me and this may be a no brainer but have searched far and wide and still no info on the net regarding this subject so would like to hear it from the experts. im looking to put a detroit 6v53 in a 1974 loadstar 1700, now there are videos online of loadstar 1850 trucks with this motor so im not trying to do the impossible. but my real question is, did the loadstar 1850 use the same five speed trans as the 1600 - 1800 trucks and does the transmission of the loadstar bolt up to the detroit diesel with or without an adaptor. also any help on how the clutch is set up would be great, not sure if the clutch is interchangeable from the 345 to the 6v53 flywheel or if a different clutch plate is needed. any help on this will be greatly appreiciated love this old ih truck with a passion but keepin the 345 going steady has been an uphill struggle since day one and her power days are long gone, not hateing on the 345 its deffinatly a wonderful motor. after all the one i have put up with 20 years of being a state highway truck/plow truck and 15 years of being a grain truck with no rebuild ever.

our 1850 had an allison automatic. and an annoyingly long hood. if you have the standard length front end i dont think the 6v will fit. we owned this for a short time while i was young so i dont remember much about it. but id say conservatively youre looking at 5-8k to do this. and 1000 to rebuild the 345. youd loose highway driveability. modifications to the front end. possible trans swap, not sure on that part.

may just be easier to rebuild and go another 300,000 miles. or if you want more power dump in a 392

You'll need the doghouse in the firewall, but I think the bell housing will bolt up. I think the 345 and Detroit would share the "standard" size.

The bell housing is not going to bolt up without some sort of an adapter kit.

All Detroits and other commercial engines used and uses an SAE ROUND bell housing.

So far as I have determined IH never used the industry standard round SAE bell housing on any of their small block V8 family.

They used an adapter to bolt a standard SAE mount tranny to the SV family when they used say a V345 in a medium duty if it used a commercial tranny.

The SAE standard also uses standardized clutches, input shafts and even clutch linkage.

Too bad IH did not get on the standardization band-wagon early on for their small engines.

The D179 engine in the 464 tractor uses 2 adapter plates to mount to its drive train. Using the SAE standard would have greatly simplified it.

Oh yea, had a brain fart, not a bolt up. I think the RD406 and 450 had the SAE sizing.

Even if you are able to work out all of the adaptor requirements--------most likely you would end up with a slower highway speed with the 53 series Detroit vs. the 345.

My experience with the 53 series Detroits-----------most of them turned approx 2800 rpms max. Don't know for sure---------but the 345s probably turned in the 3800 rpm range max????

Most likely would need to change rear axle ratio-----------or step up to oversize tires???

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

well thank you all for your imput and knowledge regarding this issue, im much more of a diesel guy than a gas guy main reson i ask about this is because i know a guy who has about three or four 6v53 detroits and as far as making it driveable on the highway i have two sets of rears with the correct ratio to make up for the drop in rpm plus theres a junkyard ten miles away where i could get the corect sheet metal but i may not need all that if i go with electric fans but we will see. so what on earth did ih do to get the 6v53 in the 1850 loadstar or atleast what trans was used behind it?

front sheet metal was extended. dog house into the cab. much banging and bending on ih's part im sure.

ive only seen the allison automatic and the 8spd roadranger. im sure theres more.

We have a 1850 with a 466 and 5 speed. It has a heavy duty spicer 5 speed and 2 speed axle. A much better trans is a 613 eaton which we have in a s 1900 with a 466. A ideal transplant for your truck is a 360 and auto out of a bus.

our 1850 had an allison automatic. and an annoyingly long hood. if you have the standard length front end i dont think the 6v will fit. we owned this for a short time while i was young so i dont remember much about it. but id say conservatively youre looking at 5-8k to do this. and 1000 to rebuild the 345. youd loose highway driveability. modifications to the front end. possible trans swap, not sure on that part.

may just be easier to rebuild and go another 300,000 miles. or if you want more power dump in a 392

The hood was the standard length. The front grille was bulged out to extend the radiator and the bulged grille usually had holes cut in the side of the grille opening to allow extra air to enter. Eason

The hood was the standard length. The front grille was bulged out to extend the radiator and the bulged grille usually had holes cut in the side of the grille opening to allow extra air to enter. Eason

ahh that makes sense. i remember the slots in the side of the grille. the hood sure looked bigger than the 1600 grain truck i drove

In my mind-----I wouldn't think the 6V53 would be any longer than a V8 345 or 392. I remember them being short and compact????

Maybe more room needed for larger radiator??

DD

Okay now theres something im familiar with the spicer 5 speed, the farm i work on has two trucks with this trans and i am indeed a fan of it they both shift very well an the pattern is what i would call normal, im not to crazy about the pattern in the loadstar but its a work truck so why be picky, so the 6v53 and the spicer 5 speed are compatable? i know ive seen the dt466 and the 9.0 liter v8 ih diesel with the completly round bell housing which was mentioned earlier. so if i really had to pick a trans i would go with the spicer. so is this a confirmed fact that the spicer 5 speed and the 6v53 will bolt up with proper shaft length from the trans to the clutch?