OLD IHC DRILL

W400

Hi Guys rescued an old ihc drill from scrapyard this one is in very good condition missing a very few parts any body point me in the right direction for a couple of couters part no F8112 & F8115 and some down pipes from box to coulters.

Thanks Eric

pictures will follow scott and your not stealing thread grandpa glad to hear of someone else preserving old ih history.

The grain drill I have is from late 1930s has W A C painted on it (war agricultural comitee) was probably a lease lend machine sent over from USA during world war 2

And the couter Parts I am looking for

Have been searching for parts and learned the parts I am looking for are called furrow openers or boots in the USA no one with a parts yard Tel number that might be able to help.

Eric

• 2 months later...

bump got the drill back from sand blaster still looking for a source for spare parts can anyone point me in the right direction.

thanks Eric

The opener doesn't look familiar to me. In eastern North America single disk drills were made in that time period. In fact an old Eastern Grain Drill my uncle owned looked similar to this one except for the opener. Might be a dry land opener?

And the couter Parts I am looking for

I think there is a part missing. In your photo that looks like just the down spout. There should be a double disk opener attached to it. At least that is how most of the vintage IH drills that I knew of were set up. There is an old one on my brother's farm but I would bet it has double disk openers. There are pictures of it here on the forum but I have no idea how to find them.

Eastern Grain Drill. IH didn't assign a number to it. Eastern drills had single disk openers back in the 1940's. This drill evolved into the M and MF series in the 1950's. Then they became the 10, 510, 5100 and finally the 5300 drill. Drills used out west often had double disk openers. Double disk drills started to sell well in the east by about 1970. In fact there were a few single disk 5100's sold as late as 1990. I had a 21 x 7 5100 back in the 1980's with double disk openers and press wheels. They were known as "Soybean Special" drills.

Eastern Grain Drill. IH didn't assign a number to it. Eastern drills had single disk openers back in the 1940's. This drill evolved into the M and MF series in the 1950's. Then they became the 10, 510, 5100 and finally the 5300 drill. Drills used out west often had double disk openers. Double disk drills started to sell well in the east by about 1970. In fact there were a few single disk 5100's sold as late as 1990. I had a 21 x 7 5100 back in the 1980's with double disk openers and press wheels. They were known as "Soybean Special" drills.

I've seen a few "Soybean specials" around here and always wondered what made them special. We had a steel wheeled drill like W400's up until early 1970's when Dad retired. Can't remember if it had double or single disc. I think it was an 8".

W400

We used to have a drill like you have pictured----IH single disk. I remember buying a hand full of parts for it back in the early 70's-------maybe to spot plant wheat or rice.

Never used it-----ended up let my son haul it off for scrap while he was in college.

Give me a few days----sorta think I may have several "boots" laying around in my "non-sorted" parts department.

You may have to jog my memory------not runnin very fast nowadays.

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys Still looking for help on sourcing furrow openers for this drill research leans towards this being a 1920's or earlier horse drawn drill only thing that puts me of this idea is the steel wheels all photos i have seen of 20's machines have timber spoked wheels.

Anyway any help greatly appreciated.

Eric

Archived