Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JD Humm

Lonestars

post-80-0-61509400-1373750988_thumb.jpg

I have been doing a lot of traveling, I70 from Salina, Ks all the way across Missouri on a regular basis, usually a couple of times a week. I have noticed I may see one or two Lonestars or maybe none on trips from KC to St Louis. However I do see a LOT of Pro Stars. Guess the Lonestars did not go over too well? The Lonestar in the photo is the official K State football equipment transport, it sits in the parking lot of the Bill Snyder football stadium in Manhattan, Ks and is one sharp rig.

Drove six hundred miles to RPRU and did not see one Lonestar. Wondered the same thing because I think they are one of the most unique and beautiful trucks ever built.

Wife & I took a trip end of March, first week of April, 5500 miles from Chicago to LA and back. Never saw a single Lonestar. But lots of other new IH semi-tractors.

Saw only five lonestars in the 2 weeks we were in the US. Three of them were up in Michigan. Prostars must be a more comman fleet truck as we did see a lot of them. There is one in New Zealand that is being converted to right hand drive. It is the first one in the southern hemisphere. We don't have the prostar here yet but Cat are selling there version here now.

I have seen several. I saw one around two weeks ago on a trip to St. Louis also once in a while I will se one on I 24 towards Nashville.

You see the occasional one up here on both US 281 and US 83. Most of em are Canadian bullracks heading to the feedlots in Nebraska, but there are a couple local outfits with one too. Never seen one up here with anything but a cattle pot on the back...coincidence, I don't think so?

Most of the Internationals I see here are either 5000 or 9000 series. Plain-jane workhorses.

I personally don't share the like of em. They are a unique looking truck but they always remind me of the goblin-faced Western Star in Maximum Overdrive...not the prettiest face on the dancefloor. :)

I don't like the looks of either, actually I'll call them darn ugly. As for the Pro-Stars, they are currently the 'truck du jour' as far as company fleets. Although KW's are making impressive gains into the fleet markets as IHC really dropped the ball with the Pro-Stars. Pro-Stars are just an absolute nightmare to service and operate. Horrible ride, ungodly noisy in the cab, seats from ****, those with the 'Maxi-Pad' engines cant get out of their own way. When I get assigned one for the day, I would drive with a brown paper bag over my head if it wern't against DOT regulations, because I'm so embarresed to drive one.

Are they really all that bad?

nope. alot of our boys down here use pro stars and lone stars. the lone star was just supposed to be an homage to the k and kb series of trucks. theyre attractive to me. the prostars and lonestars with the maxxforce 13 arent bad. is the isx15 better? of course.

the maxxforce engines are actually easy to work on now that they use the same emission systems as everyone else. before that they used a miserable system that was complicated because they were the only ones who used it. most fleets down here are navistar trucks.

I drove nearly 900 miles of interstate Wednesday of this week, saw one Lonestar just south of Springfield, Ill. and that was the only one I saw the entire trip. Appeared to be a fleet truck and not an OO outfit.

I drove nearly 900 miles of interstate Wednesday of this week, saw one Lonestar just south of Springfield, Ill. and that was the only one I saw the entire trip. Appeared to be a fleet truck and not an OO outfit.

Up here, the Lonestars are all O-O trucks. Don't see them in fleets at all. A few ProStars, but mainly 9000s in the OTR fleets here.

The farmers running International usually have leftover fleet trucks. Some 5000s and some 9000s. Besides, I don't think a Lonestar or ProStar cab would survive bouncing in and out of fields...The cabs just feel flimsy like an early 90s Volvo. :D

Like I sorta hinted at in my post above, most of the guys I have seen running Lonestars up here in ND/SD (and the one I know that owns one) are the big belt-buckle, cowboy hat, fringed shirt or vest, ____-on-the-snakeskin-boots type cattle haulers. Think Jerry Reed...

And they're running with a lot of extra chrome, a longhorn sticker on the windjammer, and a bunch of chicken lights added to boot.

(Don't take that the wrong way if that's your fashion :) I don't do snakeskin but my boots have fertilizer on em...and my chrome is old and rusty). :D

Pennfield Feeds had some Lonestars in their fleet but they are history now. I saw 2 together in Statesville NC on Monday but they were race car haulers. Eason

A couple of implement dealers run them here. Red and white paint pretty sharp looking trucks and mike I think of maximum overdrive every time I see a new international truck.

tripped around british columbia a couple of years ago and saw 6 lonestars. It was funny because a lot of the areas we went through inters would have been the main truck on the road. A crapload of 9900's still making a mile up there.My opinion the lonestar is still the best looking truck on the road.By the way over 5oo cat trucks sold in aussie already and new zealand is up to 50 cats sold. and like martin t said 1 lonestar right hand drive on the road soon over here

nope. alot of our boys down here use pro stars and lone stars. the lone star was just supposed to be an homage to the k and kb series of trucks. theyre attractive to me. the prostars and lonestars with the maxxforce 13 arent bad. is the isx15 better? of course.

the maxxforce engines are actually easy to work on now that they use the same emission systems as everyone else. before that they used a miserable system that was complicated because they were the only ones who used it. most fleets down here are navistar trucks.

Didnt IH work with Deutz to develop the Maxx force Big bore line? They use CG blocks.

Didnt IH work with Deutz to develop the Maxx force Big bore line? They use CG blocks.

HEUI system was co developed by navistar and cat. as far as i know navistar engines have always been developed by navistar. thats it. deutz ag was associated with mwm before navistar bought it out.

the navistar maxxforce big bore diesels are developed largely off the dt platform.

the maxx7 was the first cgi block i think. again pretty sure that was all navi. but ive been wrong before.

i'll ask my uncle since he's been at IH/Navistar since 79 or so

The technology for fuel/emissions control for the big diesels was purchased from an European source--I don't remember who although Duetz doesn't sound right. My impression was we bought the technology, then developed it for our engines as opposed to it being a joint development.

Keep in mind one reason for not seeing many Lonestars is they were out of production from June, 2010 until the spring of 2012 due to the closing of Chatham, then the closing of the Garland, TX plant. It sounds like getting them back into production wasn't a high priority.

I don't know what the sales projections for it were and the numbers probably weren't expected to be great, but you have to wonder if the numbers were met. Southland International in Lethbridge, AB has sold a number of them and expects to sell more when the 15L engine becomes available this fall. The dealer says he has heard sales are running 100 Prostars to 1 Lonestar and as many have been sold in Canada as in the US.

Navistar partnered with Mann a german firm on engine design. Navistar's timming sucked because they introduced the Lonestar about the time the economy started to tank. Eason

Navistar partnered with Mann a german firm on engine design. Navistar's timming sucked because they introduced the Lonestar about the time the economy started to tank. Eason

Thats right Eason I knew it was a German company. For some reason Deutz popped in my mind when I posted the question yesterday.

EASON - That wasn't the ONLY time IH/NAVISTAR did that! See dates of 5X88 & Super 70-series production and resulting decline in the ag economy, and the sale of IH ag to Tennaco. And I'm sure there's a LOT more times as you go back in IH history.

I was reading Navistar's website a couple years ago and was going to say their engine partner was MANN.

Not exactly sure of the details but the way I understand it CAT actually developed the HEUI technology but decided not to use it, or use it only a limited amount, sold it to IH and they ran with it, even put several hundred thousand miles on prototype DT-466's on the east coast that used similar technology to run the intake & exh valves, NO camshaft, just a computer running hyd. solenoid valves opening & closing the valves as needed. You could have wild valve timing events, or mild with a flip of a switch. And with the hundreds of thousands of PSD's, T444e's, DT-466Es built, I think Navistar got their money's worth out of the deal.

I think the only over the road Cats that I know that used the HEUI system was the 3126 and 3176 engines. Ive heard about the camless engines I know cummins tried it too one of the main problems was the head of the valve would break off.

you can normally see 2 or 3 travelling the 401 in southern Ontario, I miss seeing the trucks all hooked together leaving Chatham plant up the highway. As the farm I work on is next to the 401 hwy we use to see them heading out to dealer from here, prob was 4 prostars to 1 lonestar im guessing.

The technology for fuel/emissions control for the big diesels was purchased from an European source--I don't remember who although Duetz doesn't sound right. My impression was we bought the technology, then developed it for our engines as opposed to it being a joint development.

M*A*N

M*A*N

Thank you for the correction. MAN is the engine/truck builder MANN+Hummel builds filtration products and other engine accessories.