Here's the difference between box stores & dealers

BOOMER LANDT

I needed new mower blades for my 122 Cub Cadet so while I was at a local True Value Hardware (Cub Cadet dealer/service) I decided to see if they had them . The first man had never heard of a 122 but when I explained it was a 1965 model he said we better go to the computer . As we walked over there was a woman already looking them up as she had over heard us . Together they poked away and could not find any mower deck options . They only found the front blade period after 10 minutes of trying :rolleyes: .

Woman gives up and helps another customer and man says I need to get a part # off the old blades or goggle 122 mower blades and see if I can find anything . I asked him if he had any paper books he could look in as I had run into this same trouble there last year with a starter for my 1863 . No they don't have any books for old stuff anymore and they only have stuff on the newer models as they have only been a dealer for 4-5 years . I thanked them for their time (I'm too nice but they really are a great hardware store) .

When I got in my vehicle I called my local Case/IH dealer and he found the blades on his computer in about 45 seconds . He put me on hold to make sure they had them (I wish ALL places would do this) and returned with blades in hand . I told him to set them aside for my wife to pick-up on her way by tomorrow after she gets off work . After thanking him and hanging up the whole process took 4 minutes & 49 seconds by my cell phone timer :D .

Maybe I'll take the empty boxes to the hardware store so they can see that blades can be bought :P .

I try to use the local Ace over the Orange and Blue stores but some things are better left to the experts. The IH dealer I use have parts guys that were around when the oldies were newies. Part of the time they don't even look it up, just walk back and get it.

I go to the dealer as much as I can when I absolutely have to I will go to the big box stores.

I used to go to the dealer alot. However it is now over an hour one way to the nearest dealer and it is not the same.

Williams Tractor (Fayeteville AR) has one parts man who specializes in CaseIH but they handle alot of different lines (FordNH, Bobcat, Vermeer, Terex, Construction, AG, Lawn, I don't know what else). They try but I am about the only customer who grows crops and their only rice farmer.

The nearest row crop dealer is a little over three hours away (Eldridge Supply, Augusta AR). They are a great row crop dealer with a large stock of new and used parts (they have their own salvage yard) but it is difficult to drive three hours. They do ship parts UPS!

I really miss having a local dealer!

Thx-Ace

True Value and a 122 cub cadet! :lol:

I would have never given them a thought, just like tractor supply, lowes, home depot with old cub cadets. #1 Common sense tells you they will not have the part, #2 these places have not been sellilng cub cadets long enough to know when cub cadet quit making real GARDEN TRACTORS since they have only ever sold lawn tractors! :ph34r: A side note this years new models prove MTD destroyed the garden tractor side of cub cadet. :ph34r:

I would go to my local small engine shop or a case ih tractor dealer first. I don't even use my local cub cadet dealer which is a rental business also because every part you want from a lets say year 2000 and older cub needs to be ordered. Since they sell and service so many brands cub cadet like the others get lost in the shuffle, especially the older ones. :wacko:

Not surprising,I had my local napa tell me he couldn't / didn't have a carb kit for my 1979 1200 cub with a 12hp k301 even gave him the part# because the made them with two different carbs. My dad stopped at the napa in our home town (25miles away) and they knew what I was wanting and had it!

I miss having an IH only dealer around.....just waay too many brands rolled in to one nowadays.

I miss having an IH only dealer around.....just waay too many brands rolled in to one nowadays.

No kidding! or at least when you wanted mower parts you went to the dealer. Tractor /truck and auto parts you went to the dealer, you wanted lumber you went to the lumber yard, if you needed a fridge you went to the appliance store ( or IH dealer) Now everything is under one roof ...except the part you need.

What did you expect of them? You could have done some more homework on your end. When I buy blades for my garden tractor I know exactally what I need.

Are you kidding :rolleyes: ??? After 15-20 minutes searching in the 122 model section THEY could not find a mower section period .

What homework is there ? On a 122 you either have a 38" or 42" mower deck .

I did know what I needed , one 22" and two 11" blades ;) .

What did you expect of them? You could have done some more homework on your end. When I buy blades for my garden tractor I know exactally what I need.

so do you always do everyone else's job for them? last time i checked if i went to a dealer for a part they have the personel that should know how to do their job :rolleyes:

At my local dealer I get the feeling that if your not a BTO they'd rather not deal with you. So I do their job for them and give them the part numbers I need.

so do you always do everyone else's job for them? last time i checked if i went to a dealer for a part they have the personel that should know how to do their job :rolleyes:

Ever think of making someone elses job easier rather than getting your jollies watching them fumble then tell your friends and neighbor how clueless they were?

A few years ago I was in need of a new lawn mower. My wife said "lets stop at TSC they have cub cadets". So I ask the salesmen, Who is going to do the warranty work if any is needed? He said call the local dealer we have an agreement with them. Now the local dealer is family run and I have known them my whole life. I did not think it would have been fair to buy elsewhere and take it to them for service. So off to the dealer I went. It cost me a couple of bucks more. But when I need service I get it. And when I call for parts they know what I need, with out taking 20 mins. to find it. I think it is unfair of Deere, Cadet, etc. to let the box stores sell there stuff and not do the service. If I wanted to be a dealer I would have to keep an inventory of parts send someone to there school and, buy any special tools. The box stores don't have to do any of this. I just think if you sell it you should service it and, have parts on hand.

I did not think it would have been fair to buy elsewhere and take it to them for service.

So you bought from the dealer now your feel like a "perferred" customer and your tune up job is more important than mine? I never understood this? I understand loyalty, but the bottom line is your personal finance. If you can buy cheaper elsewhere do it, and if (like I say IF) your dealer gives you a hassle bringing it to them for service go elsewhere too. Money is money, who cares where you bought it, they should just be happy they got the service contract for the box store!

A few years ago I was in need of a new lawn mower. My wife said "lets stop at TSC they have cub cadets". So I ask the salesmen, Who is going to do the warranty work if any is needed? He said call the local dealer we have an agreement with them. Now the local dealer is family run and I have known them my whole life. I did not think it would have been fair to buy elsewhere and take it to them for service. So off to the dealer I went. It cost me a couple of bucks more. But when I need service I get it. And when I call for parts they know what I need, with out taking 20 mins. to find it. I think it is unfair of Deere, Cadet, etc. to let the box stores sell there stuff and not do the service. If I wanted to be a dealer I would have to keep an inventory of parts send someone to there school and, buy any special tools. The box stores don't have to do any of this. I just think if you sell it you should service it and, have parts on hand.

I agree wholeheartedly.

My last thought, how is TrueValue a "Big Box" store!?! Around here they are mom and pop hardware stores. I suppose someplace like McFarlane's (the one in Sauk City, WI that just burnt) could be considered big time, but most are just like NAPA. They might have what you want and it will certainly be expensive.

I did not think it would have been fair to buy elsewhere and take it to them for service.

So you bought from the dealer now your feel like a "perferred" customer and your tune up job is more important than mine? I never understood this? I understand loyalty, but the bottom line is your personal finance. If you can buy cheaper elsewhere do it, and if (like I say IF) your dealer gives you a hassle bringing it to them for service go elsewhere too. Money is money, who cares where you bought it, they should just be happy they got the service contract for the box store!

Deere's are the same price from what I have read on the internet. I guess I am just as much of a snob with my work ATVs. I refuse to buy them anywhere but the local dealer because of the increadable service they give me. I run a fleet of 5 ATVs and they get them in and out of the shop asap for me. For anybody looking go to Maxxx Motorsports in Darien, WI. :)

Used to buy everything from box store to save a buck. Seems like now I use the local dealers more, in-house credit and service are becoming more valuable to me than a few years back.

I have heard very little positive about the Green and White line from box stores/hardware stores. Mech friend @ Deere dealer says the Home Depot JD are repainted China junk that's why theirs cost 2x as much. i looked at them with him and yep you can see the glaring thinner metal and lighter frame etc. MTD, I wish they did not take the name on for Cub Cadet. Like McCormick tractors they buy a name and then make a cheap slap in the face at the heritage of the name. Now you know Boomer. I am with you some things may cost a bit more but your getting help when you need it. We'll spend a bit more @ the local hardware shop on items but if its 50% more I'll do a bit more shopping around. Besides I know the guys at the hardware stores in town will but my milk!

Ever think of making someone elses job easier rather than getting your jollies watching them fumble then tell your friends and neighbor how clueless they were?

If they cant do their job thats their problem. he was asking for mower blades, not some crazy obscure part.

i dont see people doing my job for me so why should i do theirs for them??

C`mon Ernest. You can`t tell me if you were a dealer of anything and someone brought you the "mashed potatoes" and didn`t give you the "gravy" you would be cool with that. I don`t buy that scenario.

Every supplier I buy from has a site I order from. I look it up myself. Parts, tires, whatever. Huge time saver. I know what I need, car in front of me.. simple. No answering questions for a new parts guy, less frustrating AND deeper discount than phone call to counter. Win win.

C`mon Ernest. You can`t tell me if you were a dealer of anything and someone brought you the "mashed potatoes" and didn`t give you the "gravy" you would be cool with that. I don`t buy that scenario.

Every supplier I buy from has a site I order from. I look it up myself. Parts, tires, whatever. Huge time saver. I know what I need, car in front of me.. simple. No answering questions for a new parts guy, less frustrating AND deeper discount than phone call to counter. Win win.

I Don't like gravy on my mashed taters anyhow!

What I am saying is in your words "if I was a dealer of something" I would not care where you bought the item, I would service it! Sure, it would be nice if you bought my product but you found it elsewhere cheaper. Good for you. The area I grew up in had many community fueds and family and friends not talking for years because of stupid stuff like (you did not buy it here I will not service it fueds) That is an idiotic practice! And I am sick and tired of it. Again, loyalty is one thing but when your talking hundreds of dollars sometimes thousands difference, glad you can afford it.

An example of where I am coming from, Thread hijack.........

We wanted a washer/dryer, local plumbing shop had one, maytag just like we wanted. $3,000 A not so local plumbing shop 30 miles up the road and no it's not a box store. $2,000 delivered. Then 10 years later I call the ones who wanted $3,000 and ask for parts, um can't get any, we'll call you back. 3 days later the parts are $150, Call sears since where I bought the dishwasher closed due to lease issues and owners death. $35 for the part plus $5 shipping.

Another good one. My home boiler. 2 quotes, my local expensive shop vs the oil company. Well luckily the price was within a few dollars. We went with the expensive one because of design it was more efficient. Yearly service was about $200 what a crock, then all they did is complain about how bad the oil is were running and how we need additives and so on and so forth. Called the oil company and got it serviced for $90 and no griping they did not care who or where it was bought from unlike the other guys. Plus we got confirmation on when they were coming not a we'll drop by some evening.

Your telling me I am foolish with my money? If you have it good for you!

I have even been waiting on my truck to be inspected and the shop guys just up and left because so and so (who was a big time customer) had a flat tire on his 4 wheeler and could not ride it that weekend (3 days away), So I wait for 3 hours till they get the tire run to the garage, fix the tire and go back and put the tire on and back to finish my truck, then tell me their closing and won't have time to finish and I am to get a ride home! Glad these places are slowly disappearing around here! You gotta treat every customer the same, friend or foe! They all make you money!

If they cant do their job thats their problem. he was asking for mower blades, not some crazy obscure part.

i dont see people doing my job for me so why should i do theirs for them??

Seems some people come along and make your life difficult huh? Mower blades may be common for you and I. But the guy behind the counter may have only ever used a reel push mower and seriously does not have a clue. So the crazy obscure part was indeed mower blades! Because you gotta look up old cub cadets under garden tractors in the parts lookup thingy.

Archived