50 series parking brake

Snowmad

My parking brake isn't working on my 5088. I noticed it ratcheting by when I parked on a small incline hooking to the chisel plow. Before I freak out too much, I'm planning on pulling the cover off where the parking break mounts in the rear end of the tractor. Just wondering if any oil will run out the hole that it goes in so I should drain some out or will I be OK and not have to worry about draining oil? I might get it in the shop tomorrow, I'll update on what I find. Thanks!

If it has three hyd valves I don't think you have to remove the line. It's been a while though.

It has two remotes. I hate draining oil when it holds 50some gallons. I'll drain out some and hope for the best!

I drained about 15 gallons. Took off the big oil line, and had a **** of a time getting it out. I almost took the hydraulic spools apart that hang down in the way of the cover but hated to do that. Ended up reaching inside with one hand and took the pin apart on the outside of the shaft so I could get it out in 2 pieces. The pawl was pretty wore and the pin on the end of the spring was half broken as well which may not have helped things. Ordered a new one...won't be here until Monday. :( No 5088. The 766 is down with a leaky hydraulic oil cooler, the A/C is not working on the 5230 and it's an oven in the cab without it but I'm hoping it's just the temp controller switch (maybe the sensor leaked out it's gas??). So, looks like tomorrow I'll be discing and dragging with a blue tractor.

You can never have enough tractors!

check the paw for wear but pay attention to the spring they like to break or they get fat in the center as the coils fail. make sure you assemble correctly.

Mike

Thanks for your advise I saw Duane966 put your response to someone else. Wish I had read it earlier, but at least I still got it apart. The only thing I'm a little confused on is the placement of where the washer goes...IH diagram show it but not where it goes. CIH also told me my half sheared pin has been replaced with a coil pin now, hopefully that's stronger. I felt sick when I drained the oil and a metal piece fell out the hole in the bottom that looked like a roller bearing until I discovered it was the pin that had broken!

Got her all back together. The new park pawl was $460. Cough, gag, hack. The gasket is NLA so I used some gasket goop from CIH. My pin that was broken is replaced by a coil pin (2 roll pins). It doesn't look stronger than what was there originally to me but time will tell. I have to dump the rest of the hydraulic oil in it tomorrow and try it out. Hope like heck I got it back together right! I'll be hooking her up to the chopper in the next couple days and we can put her to work.

Archived