My 1066 don't move anymore

fred7419

Hello,
I have bought a few months ago an 1066 FWA with the engine out ( the head was removed and the pistons are melted by the rust).
The last week, i have swapped the old engine by one DT436 from a combine.
Yersterday, I started the tractor, the engine run fine and i move around the farm in slow gear.
After i was going on the road in hight speed, all was fine when i did turnback to farm, i have stopped and changed the speed, he didn't move anymore. In forward, backward with TA or without nothing happens.

Someone can help me? Where is the problem ? The TA or the clutch ? How can find the problem ?

Sorry for my poor english but i live in Belgium and i'm french speaking.

In advance, thank you for your answer.

Hello shawn2820,

It was the first time I used the tractor. I have bought the tractor with the engine out.

When I have tried the tractor around the farm, he slipped inTA position when I break but in direct position he didn't slip.

first make sure pto works or three point hitch raises. that tells you pto gear is turning in the pressure plate.

second make sure hydraulic filter is clean and oil is full.

i have had clutch discs break and steering ta pumps fail like that or maybe it lost its prime and you will have to bleed it. good luck and keep asking questions people will help you out on here. dale

Does power steering work, if so you know pump is working. Does red light for trans lube work and did it come on when it quit moving. Make sure the TA linkage did not just come unhooked and then you would actually be in Ta and your already indicated that did not work very good.

I worked on a customer's 966 that also had a bad TA in low. It was working fine in forward TA until one time when he stepped in the clutch and then he couldn't move it.

What had happened was that the bellcrank next to the dump valve had stuck in the released position because of rust, old grease, and muck. I freed it up and it worked fine. I actually have encountered this several times over the years.

The bellcrank is located on the backside of the MCV. It has a little rod attached (actually long 1/4 bolt on the older series) to it that connects to the clutch linkage. This really sounds like what you are experiencing.

Keep us posted when you find the problem; we all learn from each other.

Hi Red tech,

I have already checked that valve on the MCV but that seems right.

Do you think then I can put out the IPTO when I reassemble the tractor ? I read that on the forum.

The steering and break work fine. I don't check the PTO.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

If the steering and brakes work chances are the mcv pump is okay. I would say you are maybe shifted in between on the ta or your clutch disc broke and is not turning the input shaft. What was the engine out of and what clutch pressure plate did you use?

can you shift the tractor with engine idling and not pushing the clutch down or will it just grind gears. if no grindin gears, possible input shaft or clutch splines???? if you haveto push the clutch to shift gears ,,,possible spider gears crosshaft broken in diff.

can you shift the tractor with engine idling and not pushing the clutch down or will it just grind gears. if no grindin gears, possible input shaft or clutch splines???? if you haveto push the clutch to shift gears ,,,possible spider gears crosshaft broken in diff.

neighbor had that happen on a 1586 they put a clutch and ta still didn't move here the spider shaft broke unlikely but happens

neighbor had that happen on a 1586 they put a clutch and ta still didn't move here the spider shaft broke unlikely but happens

If thats the problem would his MFD move the tractor?

I had the same thing happen in the same type situation. The tractor had sit long enough that a jell had formed out of moisture and oil in the bottom of the housings. Every time I took it down the road the ring gear would stir up enough jelly to clog the filters and the tractor wouldn't move. If your sprag was still good it would move with TA back but it sounds like it already failed. We eventually pulled off the pto and every plate we could remove and scrapped it out with putty knives after we tried changing the hydraulic oil twice.

question, did you place the clutch and PP on the splines, then bolt the engine and go thru the clutch inspection hole to install the PP bolts, or did you put the cluch on the enging and put together, if the latter, you may have pushed the TA input shaft back?

question, did you place the clutch and PP on the splines, then bolt the engine and go thru the clutch inspection hole to install the PP bolts, or did you put the cluch on the enging and put together, if the latter, you may have pushed the TA input shaft back?

Hi,

I have placed the clutch and pp on the splines and then installed the bolt by the inspection hole.

I had the same thing happen in the same type situation. The tractor had sit long enough that a jell had formed out of moisture and oil in the bottom of the housings. Every time I took it down the road the ring gear would stir up enough jelly to clog the filters and the tractor wouldn't move. If your sprag was still good it would move with TA back but it sounds like it already failed. We eventually pulled off the pto and every plate we could remove and scrapped it out with putty knives after we tried changing the hydraulic oil twice.

It's possible because the tractor sit few years

with engine runing can you shift gears without clutching. if you have to clutch it to shift probably rear end problems......spider gears crosshaft?????

yes it would

If thats the problem would his MFD move the tractor?

Speaking of which I have a 1586 in the shop right now for this reason

I've got a similar problem with my 966. I have been plowing and it has been getting worst slowly. If I have the draft set too hard it will bring the tractor to a stop. the engine doesn't lug, it's sounds strong but the tractor stops. I then raise the plow slowly and it will start moving again. Now when I go to back up or even go forward if the front tires are in a depression like going cross ways through the plowed field the tractor won't move. I can turn the wheel back and forth sometimes that will get it moving sometimes I rock it a little bit to get it moving. It acts like there is either something slipping that shouldn't be or a lack of hydraulic pressure. I'm not sure. The power steering, 3 point and remotes all work great.

Sorry if I'm butting in on someone else's forum.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the long time without news but I am very busy at the moment.

Yesterday, I have worked on the 1066, I have changed the oil and filter. I have overfilled the oil trans and do a new test.

It's the same situation. The tractor move in TA but stop on little slope and don't move in DD.

After that I did the MCV test like explain in the Blue Ribbon book.

I have installed the 300psi pressure gauge on the safety valve port and the 60 psi pressure gauge on the lube port.

Here you are the results :

Gauge 60 psi 300 psi

Selector in TA 20 psi 230 psi

Selector middle 20 psi 250 psi

Selector in DD 0 psi 230 psi

Steer to the stops 0 psi 245 psi

Someone can help me with those values ?

Thanks

Nobody can help me ?

Archived