Non round up ready corn?

dannyredfan

There has been some interest in non round up ready corn in my area and I was wondering if anybody raised any anymore and what the cost to profit ratio was?

go to sams club.com and tye in seed corn. they have it

Best seed co. in Illinois, might be eldrid-i think.

Blue River Organics(the old NK Organics)has both Organic and non GMO Varieties.

thanks for the info. would realy like to know how cost / income works out. With non RR u have discing, cultivating, exc. lot of fuel cost per acre. but if it sells for more then it might work. IDK

O.P corn is a producer growing corn for seed that is self pollinating. When you buy a hybred your are paying a higher price for a type of corn that came from

inbred line A and inbred line B to make a specific hybred corn seed that has special traits bred into it such as long / short day, yield ,drought ,bug and disease resistant and so on every seed producer will offer different packages dependent what your looking for.

Is open poled the same? What I was wondering, is the cost to income worth messing with on 10 to 15 acres?

bred

I'm considering going non GMO here if the cover crops and high residue works out. I don't like being gigged by the seed companies for high dollar seed every darn year. I don't like al lthe chemicals that went with non RR crops though, roundup isn't too harsh but if I can use a natural mulch as a weed barrier then I'm going back to the old stuff. I spent nearly 40K last year on mostly seed for 330 acres.....Had to replant the beans once but still they were $60 first plant and $15 replant and corn....Oh my gosh....well over $225 a bag?! absurd...

Try Albert Lea seed house--www.alseed.com--- they have been getting into conventional corn more every year- a real honest bunch of folks--I put down full rate surpass & if need be come back w/ low rate banvel/ atrizene --& cultivate in 28& later [ usually broadcast urea first] 40 or so gal of 28/acre-seems to kill germ on late weeds- along w canapoy usually = clean field- accent is rescue option for wolley cup - but use drops to keep out of corn as much as possible- haven't needed to spray for bores for quite awhile but have pounce for that..planted some 3x stack stuff for comparrison yeild hasen't been better & sometimes lower- considering seed cost 3x is a joke -cept to dealer selling it-- neighbor plants RR 7 3x & almost every year the straight RR outdid the 3x stuff..

Technically the same thing...

Not really birdman. They're varieties that are atrazine and root worm tolerant. Here we side dress and cult once no matter what. Rr or traditional. Also we all do full tillage as well. But with atrazine prices rr had always penciled out here. Have to check this year.

Does that maen that atrazan will not work with non gma corn? But it still can with non RR(open poled)? I havent found a lot of info around home every things been notill RR for meny years. Just trying to get some info before i try.

I used to love to plant Pioneer 3489 it was a 110 day corn if i remember correctly. I would spray "Marksman" on it and seemed to do just about the same on yield as the RR type but if you figure in putting down Counter for root worms and or spraying for bore i do not know if you would save a dime. I raise silage corn now and do not pick any to speak of but no matter what the brand or genetics you may have to spray for mites and that is high $ spraying. I have had some high $ spray bills in the past also.

But with atrazine prices rr had always penciled out here. Have to check this year.

??penciled out??the tec fee on RR corn came to $24/acre last time I cked- sprayed Liberty for $8/ acre= better deal for me :wacko:

Not really birdman. They're varieties that are atrazine and root worm tolerant. Here we side dress and cult once no matter what. Rr or traditional. Also we all do full tillage as well. But with atrazine prices rr had always penciled out here. Have to check this year.

No, That's not right.... GMO = Genetically Modified Organism.....any crop that is roundup ready, triple stacked or similar has been genetically modified. Non-GMO is any crop that is open pollenated or hybrid through simple crossbreeding/pollenation. Open pollenated corn is "non-GMO" but so is the entire lot of older hybrids that weren't genetically modified with the roundup resistant gene or the BT gene. As far as I know all corn is naturally atrizine tolerant...that isn't a genetic modification....Atrizine was formulated to not damage corn as it's a selective herbicide.

Any crop that is roundup ready or liberty link or BT is a GMO crop, no if's and's or butt's.

Pencil out or not I just don't like possible environmental impacts of all the herbicides or the genetic modifications if I can avoid them. Avoiding them while keeping crops clean will always pencil out anyway. I'm going to accomplish it through mulching crops (I hope).

TD, You ever use Me-too-Lachlor (Dual Magnum or Parallel) preplant on corn? Good for holding weeds and yellow nut sedge back and giving the corn a head start over the weeds I use it in spud fields for sedge control.

I'll be interested to follow responses on this. Among the general, do-gooder population here in the Northeast (upper-middle class consumers with non-ag background), the word "Monsanto" is quickly heading towards the category of names like Hitler, Stalin, Ronald Reagan and Wal-Mart.

Don't shoot the messenger...I'm just saying that somebody is waging a major war on Monsanto in the court of public opinion. There is currently some major GMO backlash out there at the consumer level. If you can document that what you grow is non-GMO, there will be a premium market for it.

The non-GMO movement has legs because it has merit recognized by more than just the lefty envirowhackos. I'm a beekeeper also and they have linked CCD (colony collapse disorder) to Neonicotinoids which is just a pesticide...not having anything to do specifically with genetic modified crops but the Bt gene is still suspect.

Chemicals and genetic mods are potentially dangerous and should be used with caution. I don't like the idea of spraying a food supply with chemicals that carry through the plant and does god knows what to people further down the line or genetic mods that supply a plant with a natural insecticide. I had triple stacked corn two years ago and it had high levels of aflotoxins from drought but here all the triple stacked corn fields were high and the regular hybrids were not.

I don't know...I still like RR crops because they cut down on more harsh chemicals than they introduce but I'd just like to be able to get away from all of them. The rates of cancer around here are past an acceptable threshold and I'm afraid it may be food related. Now of course processed foods in the store have their own chemical problems so maybe thats the major source....either way, cutting down on chemicals that are potentially dangerous seems like a wise choice if at all possible. Earthworms are the 'canary indicator' of soil health....I couldn't find an earthworm in my fields until I stopped using atrizine in 2010. I took soil samples this spring after wheat and beans last year and my earthworms are coming back now.

I don't disagree with you, Birdman. Things are so complicated these days that I just don't believe that folks can screen for everything. I even avoid plastics where I can these days.

As an interested observer, I was amazed at the market share that Monsanto was able to capture in just a few short years with RR. I understand why, but the ag community can be very resistant to change. That is why I was surprised at the speed at which it was adopted.

A friend of mine works at Fish & Wildlife. One of their current studies centers around why the smallmouth bass populations are declining in the Susquehanna River. They have about three theories. One, of course, is global warming. The other is discharge from various industrial sites. The last one I find very interesting...it is essentially residual chemicals from medications that so many of us take. These residual chemicals mess with the fish...male fish can often have beds of eggs in them. Currently, there is no aftertreatment filter for eliminating that. My point is, how many other things like this are going on, like your earthworms and bees? And I am far from a lefty environmentalist.

I find it very interesting to hear the word "Monsanto" being uttered by folks who barely even know what a tractor, let alone what RoundUp is.

Sorry about the slight hi-jack. I'll just sit back now and learn something about non-GMO / RR corn options...

I don't disagree with you, Birdman. Things are so complicated these days that I just don't believe that folks can screen for everything. I even avoid plastics where I can these days.

As an interested observer, I was amazed at the market share that Monsanto was able to capture in just a few short years with RR. I understand why, but the ag community can be very resistant to change. That is why I was surprised at the speed at which it was adopted.

A friend of mine works at Fish & Wildlife. One of their current studies centers around why the smallmouth bass populations are declining in the Susquehanna River. They have about three theories. One, of course, is global warming. The other is discharge from various industrial sites. The last one I find very interesting...it is essentially residual chemicals from medications that so many of us take. These residual chemicals mess with the fish...male fish can often have beds of eggs in them. Currently, there is no aftertreatment filter for eliminating that. My point is, how many other things like this are going on, like your earthworms and bees? And I am far from a lefty environmentalist.

I find it very interesting to hear the word "Monsanto" being uttered by folks who barely even know what a tractor, let alone what RoundUp is.

Sorry about the slight hi-jack. I'll just sit back now and learn something about non-GMO / RR corn options...

RR crops took off because it's so much easier and cheaper to spray roundup than the plethora of other chemicals we used to have to deal with.

I don't know about the bass problem, I think it's a good idea in general to cut back on meds and chemicals whenever possible. I doubt global warming has anything to do with it though.

The lefties are out in force on this issue, no doubt but I'm about as far the other way as one can get usually...politically anyway. Contrary to recent'ish claims though...I don't like dirty air or water.

IT WAS cheaper to spray roundup- but when patten ran out on roundup [ even before] the tec fee magicaly crept up- you can figure out what the tec fee is / bu seed by pulling up Alber Lea seed house web cat & compare a corn w or without the rr gene- guess they have the bad manners to put forth this info if you study their cat B)

Depends on what a person sprays in place of roundup and how effective it is etc...I haven't looked everything up or itemized it out to see how the numbers play out. Some consider the simplicity as being worth an extra couple bu/acre in profit.

Archived