Bosch injection pump throttle sticking

New Englander

The pump is a VA610H1200CR401-1 installed on a D-358 in a 786.

Late last season I noticed the throttle sticking, that is, full throttle was not going to the stop and idle cut off not cutting off unless "helped". The springs both ways would load up, just wasn't enough to get the throttle shaft to turn all the way either way. When the throttle was pulled to cutoff the engine would continue to run so slowly you could almost count the fan blades as they turned and likewise at full throttle it would be a couple hundred RPM short.

Well, the winter layoff hasn't helped and now it's worse. It looks like the stop plate/plungers and bushing assembly could be removed while the pump is installed. What's the chance the problem is in the throttle bushing or throttle? Is it something that's field repairable?

This engine purrs and I'd rather not send the pump out unless there's no other way.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

With today's "superclean" diesel fuel, the lack of sulfur which served as pump lube can cause all sorts of sticking situations in some pumps. I've seen some that will work good with biodiesel and stick with regular diesel. Try some pump lube and a good cleaner or a biodiesel blend. If you already tried that with no luck, good luck; that seems to be one of the more expensive pumps to rebuild.

Have you tried some good lule on the outside of the levers. I would use some break free or tri-flo and try to work it in. I would bet the sticking is in the external lever where it comes through end plate and not the inside precesion throttle and fuel control pistons as I think you would have other problems also if they were that sticky.

Have you tried some good lule on the outside of the levers. I would use some break free or tri-flo and try to work it in. I would bet the sticking is in the external lever where it comes through end plate and not the inside precesion throttle and fuel control pistons as I think you would have other problems also if they were that sticky.

I'll try that Pete. Do you know if the assembly can be removed without upsetting anything? Looking at the manual it seems it could be but I'd like to hear it from someone with some experience on the pump.

The engine runs so well and starts at any temperature I need it to and even colder with a push of the ether button while cranking.

Personally, I wouldn't try to "field disassemble" the injection pump. After reading the IH service manual, I took the pump to my local Bosch shop and bit the bullet. I also found a rebuilt pump (same part number) on Fleabay and keep it on the shelf as a spare.

Best preventions...clean fuel with additive to deal with low sulfur diesel (Stanadyne), new filters and draining condensation from fuel tank and filters before use every day.

Btw, my 786 also sits in the barn for months over the winter. Hopefully, only your linkage is the problem.

Northeast Diesel, Plainville, CT 860-747-2630. They rebuilt the pump for my 786 about five years ago. I think the technician's name was Joe. Anyway, they did a good job. As I recall, the parts were difficult to find and ended up costing me about 1400 bucks for the rebuild. Considering that I paid 1000.00 for the tractor which had 2300 total hours, it was worth it.

Pay attention to the IH D358 manual re. timing marks and pump removal/installation. I can scan relevant pages and send if you need them.

Northeast Diesel, Plainville, CT 860-747-2630. They rebuilt the pump for my 786 about five years ago. I think the technician's name was Joe. Anyway, they did a good job. As I recall, the parts were difficult to find and ended up costing me about 1400 bucks for the rebuild. Considering that I paid 1000.00 for the tractor which had 2300 total hours, it was worth it.

Pay attention to the IH D358 manual re. timing marks and pump removal/installation. I can scan relevant pages and send if you need them.

Thanks, I have the manual.

You stole that tractor!!!

See attached photos as found. The injection pump crapped out on the previous owner, so he parked it in his pasture for a few years. Rain got into the engine cylinders and cracked one sleeve. Luckily no one tried to turn the engine over, so no crank damage. Anyway, I purchased the tractor originally for a biodiesel project that died before the tractor was needed. I decided to do a complete rebuild (new sleeves, pistons, valve job, rebuilt injector pump as well as redone instrument panel, seat, steering wheel, battery boxes, PTO shield, grill & screen, top 3-point link as well as all new Case-IH filters and fluids). Still worth the effort, as T/A, clutch and tranny are fine and the engine is as good as new. Even as she stood as found, the rear tires alone were worth $1k. Great machine and I love the purr of that D358! See my previous posts over the last 4 years.

post-4441-0-20878900-1365375106_thumb.jppost-4441-0-61234500-1365375117_thumb.jppost-4441-0-98140200-1365375126_thumb.jp

See attached photos as found. The injection pump crapped out on the previous owner, so he parked it in his pasture for a few years. Rain got into the engine cylinders and cracked one sleeve. Luckily no one tried to turn the engine over, so no crank damage. Anyway, I purchased the tractor originally for a biodiesel project that died before the tractor was needed. I decided to do a complete rebuild (new sleeves, pistons, valve job, rebuilt injector pump as well as redone instrument panel, seat, steering wheel, battery boxes, PTO shield, grill & screen, top 3-point link as well as all new Case-IH filters and fluids). Still worth the effort, as T/A, clutch and tranny are fine and the engine is as good as new. Even as she stood as found, the rear tires alone were worth $1k. Great machine and I love the purr of that D358! See my previous posts over the last 4 years.

attachicon.gif063.JPGattachicon.gif064.JPGattachicon.gif065.JPG

Worth the effort!

The D-358 IS a sweet running engine. My wife is happy as a clam mowing with it, I think she just likes the sound or maybe just likes being outside with a breeze in her face. Before kids she liked her motorcycle.

attachicon.gif063.JPGattachicon.gif064.JPGattachicon.gif065.JPG

Worth the effort!

The D-358 IS a sweet running engine. My wife is happy as a clam mowing with it, I think she just likes the sound or maybe just likes being outside with a breeze in her face. Before kids she liked her motorcycle.

My wife tolerates the 786 (and the $$$ that I've spent on restoration). She has never operated it. She has used the 165 and loader to pull out shrubs. Still trying to convince her to try mowing the pasture...I grew up on tractors-she's a city girl. 30 years of marriage, so we must be doing something right.

Archived