Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FarmallLover

IH Cab-Over Rig... Need info.

Friend is buying an older IH Cab-Over. Don't have any idea on what the options were for those types of rigs. Any help would be greatful. Especially for finding out how hard it is to find parts. Thanks.

Levi

which model buddy. that would help us narrow it down. theres loadstar. transtar. emeryville. sightliner. we needs da info

He said it was a Loadstar. He couldn't remember too well the model of it. The person that is buying it is younger than me.

ohhhh me like. a co loadstar is quite a pretty beastie. theyre nimble like their standard cab brother. they arent the smoothest ride. ours felt like it was trying to make you throw a clot over every pothole. also. a 345 roaring at 3400rpms right next to your kneecap has always made me uneasy.

but if he gets it theres no way he wont love it

oi. mate. im only 21 so im not judgin for piss based on age. not my style. you seem bright enough so i figure the wee one is bright enough to pick a good truck man. no judging here

far as options go you basically have the same options as the standard loadstar. the sv8 spectrum. same axle. all the goodies man

Cool. Thanks IHRunner. I'll tell him. The only question that I have left for now is how hard is it to find parts for it? He told me that it needed some parts before it would run again.

sv8 parts are everywhere. you may have issues with gearbox. transmission. and some other parts. but engine components are everywhere

are you going to post pictures? Them cab over's are fun to drive.

Will some day. We still have to "find" it. It was buried behind a pile of stuff. Maybe when we get it to his house.

He just showed me a pic of it.... He didn't read the name on the sister rig (both trucks are the same.) It is Not a loadstar as it turns out. It is a Transtar.... I don't think having the wrong name helped. Can any one help me get more info for him... Possibly to help with making a decision?

first transtar came out in 65 or so. its bigger and rougher than a loadstar. depending on they year you have a number of v8 diesels and gassers. should be interesting

How expensive are the parts for one? It does come with some parts, but it is missing air hoses and lines. How hard is it to fix all of the problems on the truck and how hard is it to get it running again? Has not been run since the early 90s. 20 years ago. Stored indoors for the past 20 years.

depends if we're speaking gasser or diesel buddy. the ih v8's never really die. dont try and crank it over if its a gasser. take the distrib out. mark its location. stick a drill down there. and spin the oil pump to make sure everything has oil. god man if its a cummins diesel? you could be in deep. i have no problem saying i dont know jack diddly about most cummins engines. i hate them with a passion lol. not that it should discourage you buddy. others and myself will be able to help more when we see the engine. im not sure if the t-star came with a 6v detroit. but it may be worth finding out the color of the engine and the age of the transtar. tag should be on the inside of the driver door

Ok. Thanks IHRunner. As soon as we get it, I'll look. I told my friend to ask the current owner what type of engine it has in it. I said, "Ask if it has a carburator." So I will find out sometime in the next week for sure. But what about the cost of other parts. After he gets it, he is giving it to me. We are going to fix it together and make it like a Parade/Show truck. It has a split window too. One of the panes needs to be replaced. THe guy is getting rid of it for a really cheap price. Is there any red flags raised there?

tires. tires. tires. 6 tires. up to 1200$+. any parts can be sourced with the right knowledge and a bit of paitence man. i dont think you have to worry. i picked up my loadstar for 300. cant get screwed there

Truck part are dang near universal. Lines etc can be made in town by any parts store/dealership. Split front window or rear? With out a year or anything it is tough to say "run" or "get!". If its a diesel anything drain ALL the lines and tanks. Fresh fuel and battery and after checking it will turn at the crank. HIT the button and see what happens. Prob fire right up! Buddy was given a early 70s IH 15yd dump truck. It was abandoned in the field right behind my farm for at least 10 years. I Never gave it a 2nd thought! He goes out there, drains the fuel line and sticks it in a jerry can of fresh fuel. Hooks up a new truck style battery and jumper cables from his p/u truck. Thing cranks over like a death groan and the coughs. Coughs a few more time and fires up! Tucked the Jerry can under the butterfly hood and slipped the ALLISION in to D and drove home 15 miles. Everything worked fine. He sold it for $4000 after using it for some clearing. Some you miss some you get!

Air systems are a cake walk to repair. If it has a Cummins the PT fuel system is very basic nothing can really go wrong with them. Make sure the fuel suction line is in good condition. If it has a Detroit make sure you have something solid to cover the intake in case it decides to run away. The fuel control rack can get sticky.

Alright thanks. What about transmissions. He told me that it has an Automatic. It is push button.... What should I be wary of on that type of tranny? And the Front window is split. And on top of that, it has a sleeper on it.

probably an allison 6 speed. dont have much experience with them. sorry

If the engine is diesel, would I be able to use other sources of fuel, like used McDonald's French Fry oil? Provided I filter it first to get rid of the chunks in it? Just wonderin' cause I heard you could run diesels on FF oil.

i had a nissan sd that i did that with. had two fuel tanks. one for veggie oil. one for diesel. in the summer i ran veggie oil. use a big ass filter. and be ready to change fuel lines. they'll gum up. not sure how a diesel in a transtar would act

Alright. Thanks. If we do do that, we'll be extremely careful. Last thing we need is to be stuck some where without transportation. Or a phone. Here is the funny thing though. After he buys it, he told me, he is giving it to me.... Just told me on the bus this afternoon.... He and I are going to give it a custom paint job... Going to be a Show/Parade truck.... Ya have any Ideas on the color scheme we should use? I'm leaning to the red on white. It does need some paint on it. Any suggestions?

my loadie came c-dot yellow. still is. i almost like the industrial look. but for a transtar co. well anything will be cool mate. as long as youre happy with it eh?

I guess you're right IHRunner. Do you know how hard it is to fix the fifth wheel? It was damaged when its trailer broke in half on a long haul with a load of pipes. Don't know what to do there. Should I weld it back in place? Or should I do something else with it? Like I said, it is desperate need of repair. It was the guys parts truck for his other IH Transtar. Most of the truck is there and it does come with some parts.

throw on a new updated 5th wheel plate. pretty cheap to find one. my bobtail loadie sports the original 5th wheel plate off our international eagle.

you should be set buddy. i wouldnt panic to much til you know what else it needs. if anything ill send ya a few parts lol