560 PTO Running

66 Series Farmer

My brother just recently purchased a 560 gas tractor. When he was picking it up he noticed that when the tractor was first started, the PTO was running even though the lever was fully in the off position. After the tractor runs for 5 minutes or so the PTO will shut off and stop spinning. We haven't tried to stop it by hand to see if it's really live or just free spinning a little. Is this something that's normal for them or is the PTO brake weak? Any information would be appreciated.

I will guess you have the later style, over center clutch type pto. There are three main reason for pto not stopping. First one is adjustment on lever brake is incorrect, not enough tension(however not likely), next is worn half moon key in operating shaft allowing movement of lever on shaft, and warped discs inside along with worn out over center release bearing retainer. Early models had planetery pto with little cover on top and two adjusting screws under neath to adjust brake and engagement.

I would say the disks finally break loose. Oil film causes a lot of drag on the discs but it should still not run when started except maybe in extremely cold weather. Those linkages give a lot of problems though and when you lock the lever ahead it has to put quite a lot of tension on brake and also allow clearance for disks to move freely. One other thing, a lot of operators feel that the lever locks back when it is engaged but it does not. The lever must float freely in on position. Can't tell you how many I have seen where the link is adjusted so it will lock when pulled back and that is tough on the innards.

And 504 would be same thing.

Archived