The "New" mufflers being sold

BOOMER LANDT

I've read topics on here and have seen ads in RPM and other places and have a question . I saw one listed for a 656 gear drive and was wondering what difference the transmission makes <_< . They listed no other 656 options but I would like to get one for my 656 Hydro .

I know the correct one should be black but if that isn't available the polished version would do :wub: .

Better performance could be observed by running the gear transmission muffler, cannot gaurantee efficient operation on a hydro transmission. Lol, sorry about being a smarty pants.

Wouldn't see why it would make any difference between a gear or hydro. Diesel vs gas would seem more the option to choose between rather than transmission type. Maybe I'm missing something and someone have another idea to why. But maybe the company sees it more as a gear 656 rather than hydro, and doesn't want to list both types?

The hydro may have a larger exhaust pipe.

When IH put the C263 in the 706, they used a larger exhaust pipe to get a little more HP out of them. They may have done the same thing on the 656 hydro to compensate for the inefficiency of the hydro transmission.

The early 656 probably still had the smaller exhaust pipe that was used on the 560.

The hydrostatic drive 656 runs at a much higher rpm than the gear drive, nearly same as 706 and that might possibly be the reason if in fact a different muffler is called for . I see parts book calls for different muffler but same manifold.

The hydrostatic drive 656 runs at a much higher rpm than the gear drive, nearly same as 706 and that might possibly be the reason if in fact a different muffler is called for . I see parts book calls for different muffler but same manifold.

Thanks Pete . Leave it to me to add to my odd model , 1/2 year , serial # break , ect. collection :lol: .

Archived