Looking for info on 1568.

dannyredfan

I recently bought a 1568 that has a dv550 truck engine in it. The compression is between 180 and 220 and it needs a considerable amount of injector work done. I would really like to fix this motor but was considering putting a 9.0L or a 3208 or something similar. In other words How much would it change the value of my tractor by switching the motor? Any advice is welcome.

What kind of shape is the rest of the tractor? They are very collectible, especially in good running condition. Changing out the engine will hurt the value big time, but I understand fixing one isn't cheap either. If your in need of a useful tractor then sell this one to someone willing to restore it properly and buy what you need, otherwise park this one till your able to do it justice.

Just my humble opinion. It's your tractor, do as you please.

The tractor is in pretty rough condition. I pulled it out of the weeds when I bought it. I would like to restore it not as a main farm tractor, but usable condition.

Excuse my manners. I was on my cell phone and didn't notice that was your first post.

Welcome to the board! There's a ton of knowledge here. I'm one of the dumber ones...

If you have the funds fix the dv550 and don't look back. If you want a good tractor for hard use I would consider a transplant but would avoid the 3208.......they are known as cat's throw away engine. You say thr 550 is a truck engine.....is it original to the tractor or is it actually out of a truck and just transplanted to your tractor?

Was wanting to find a high horse power tractor to chop silage with and just so happen to stumble across this one. Was planning on keeping it as original as I could even though the engine has been swapped, but I can swap the engine for what it is going to cost me on the injecters and pump. I would like to find out the value of the tractor is, I am unable to post a pic at this time but the sheet metal is fairly straight but rusty, engine runs but need injecter work. Good ta, good rubber. The old tractor is just that a old tractor that was in the weeds when I found it.

Congrats on the find. I guess since the engine isn't original any more then swap it for one that will do what you need. In the meantime keep an eye out for an original engine.

I think I am confusing myself. You do know the 1568 came with the DV correct? So do you have a decent tractor with a TRUCK engine or a all original 1568? If you have found a 1568 I personally would flip it and let someone restore her. Unless you really want it. Selling her for a profit then (if your budgets in that range) grab a 1066/1466 to chop with. Simple engine and pto system. Would be a great choice for chopping with the torquey DT engine. You chopping grass and corn? Processor or not? I would think 140-160 hp would be smallest unit I would chop with.....depending on your chopper. If the budget aint too tight find a higher hour 71xx Magnum and chop in style !!

The motors are a DV550 we have 1568 a good tractor. My choice is DO NOT put a different motor in it it will hurt the value big time. But I guess it all depends on how bad the motor is also just my 2 cents but if you do keep the original motor don't do like some people and put piggy back turbos on them the motor will NOT last if you put piggy back turbos on them expecially if your chopping silage with it but there again just my 2 cents and it's your decsision.

Welcome!

I'm curious why you think it needs pump and injector work? It is suppose to run on 4 cyls at an idle and switch to 8 as the load increases; it sounds like its missing at an idle because 4cyls are not getting fuel for economy. If your worried about compression, I wouldn't be, they start hard even on a semi-cool day, so it's probably OK. The DV550 came out of the truck division; so despite the pump being different, it is a truck engine. If you look on the front right of the engine just below the water pump there is a mechanical fuel pump block off plate if it was gas - just fyi. But don't confuse the DV550 with the later 9.0L. Same cubic inches, but completely different engine.

As far as farming with one..........it would do OK; there is a reason why they weren't popular as farm tractors at the time. A 1568 is probably the worst combination you could have for chopping - an engine that doesn't have any low end and a 3 speed transmission. That being said, they didn't make many of them. Is yours a black stripe? I would seriously leave the engine alone and resell it if you don't want it; swapping engines will make it worthless to a majority. If it runs, you can easily get your money back out of it. You can keep it around a play with it, they sound awesome under load, I just wouldn't have it as your main BIG tractor.

My uncle does his chopping with a 1066. It has a kernel processor and the whole nine yards. Does great on that new holland chopper. If the engine isn't too bad you may get many years out of it but you could easily trade or sell it for a 10 or 1466 and never look back.

Wellcome to the fourm, There was only 862 1568s made, if it were me i would fix what you have, or worst case, very worst case put a 9Liter in it. As stated above the DV550 is suppose to start and idle on 4 cylinders, then once throttle and load is applied it starts to feul the other 4 cylinders. There are a very weird sounding engine when running on 4cyl. I run our harvester with my 1468, it plays with our New Holland 790, i ran it with straight pipes for awhile but was WAY to loud. Heres a few videos of mine choppin. The tractor looks ALOT different now.

Heres another one (warning theres alittle foul language in this one)

It is a original 1568 but has a dv550 out of a truck, it has the truck injector pump on it. The original engine burnt a piston probably because of the turbos that were on it at the time. I do not plan on putting turbos on it. The injector pump because of it being off a truck does not have a governer on it. I have the original pump and sent it to the shop along with the injectors because they are bad. By fixing the pump I will be able to idle on 4 and run on 8. I have done a compression test and 4 cyl were 220, the rest were 200, 195, 185, and 175. No it is not the black stripe. I have a good condition 806 and a fairly new 5603 JD (not mine) that I have to do most anything that I need done. Not wanting to do much farming with this tractor but I do want it field ready. I may use it to chop 30 acres or so. I would just buy another tractor but after this one my wife said no more for a while.

I was also wondering it has 24.5-32 rear tires. Where they for a special purpose or what would be the reason for such a odd wheel size?

if you're running windows 7 on your computer go to windows live photo gallery, find your pics, then click the edit tab, click resize and click the small setting, it will resize to 800x600 (at least that's what it did for me) and should be under the 512kb. that is what i have been doin for my photos.

Yea it's is pretty rough all and all. made many trips around the field. Glade to here all the reply's plan on fixing her up in time. Its been setting for 5 years, was runnig hot is the reason he parked it. but i fired it up pretty quick after a little TLC thin drove it on the trailer. The clutch,brakes and T.A. seam to work . He didn't buy many parts he used what ever parts he had

Iwas looking at tractordata and I dont know if my SN math works. It looks like this was the 82 tractor bilt in 75, 702 of the total. don't know if that would right or not? I know mine is not but can Any body know when (SN) the black stripe started?

Archived