Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moparfever

Here's one for the KOO. The ultimate snow train.

They used to use CAT trac tractors for this but they found out the CAT were dogs. :lol:

CIH developed special low temp Hytran and operating packages specifically for these machines....

Thanks for sharing.

Has Dr Ernie been down there in recent years?

Thing that amazes me is the tracks still flex enough to use.

Hate to bust any bubbles, but I believe those are Challengers.

they're case ih quadtracs

You're right. Seems they've used both. When I was down there everything was Cat, but that was a long time ago.

You're right. Seems they've used both. When I was down there everything was Cat, but that was a long time ago.

finall wised up it looks like lol. no i really like those quadtrax. so cool

post-2084-0-18004500-1362465085_thumb.jppost-2084-0-19782400-1362465109_thumb.jpJust remember this is what made the path for the rest of them to follow

towing fuel sledge to williams field, mcmurdo 1984.

Would they be stretched D8s?

excellent guys. been really busy in the Kingdom and will post more later on.

thansk

KoO

Published Author

Gidday moparfever; who were you with in mctown; usarp or seabees ? I was a kiwi civilian down there working for a nz company on hire to uncle sam to look after there cat gear for the us navy. 2 names i remember was our 2 bosses skip mcgeorge and a alaskan butch badger. were others but memorys hazy, but may rember with a prod. Guy in the D8 was john stein i think.

Is a stretch D8 which is basically a 14A D8. Was a few factory fitted with D353 [D9] motors. "Big John" was one. All had names. Pam, Maryanne,Colleen, and Fang a gear drive 36A D8H. Few more pics for yous to enjoy. Was there for 10 weeks summer of 83/84. Never forget some of you great people there introduced me to a guy called 'jack daniels' Certainly made one flightless little kiwi boy fly one night. :rolleyes:

post-2084-0-85265000-1362547206_thumb.jp

post-2084-0-15047500-1362547910_thumb.jp

post-2084-0-01088600-1362547931_thumb.jp

post-2084-0-72184300-1362547957_thumb.jp

post-2084-0-10214600-1362547979_thumb.jp

Hey D6, I was with the Seabees. I was in Comms, did radio installs in the equipment and took care of pretty much all the portable radios. I was in charge of the FM shop for a while. I remember Skip and Fang. Yeah, JD. I remember we had a JD night at the McMurdo Club, well, I don't really remember too much. Do you remember Mort or Ron from the club? They took turns bartending. Good friends of mine. I used to hike over to Scott Base pretty regular and hang out over there too. Will always remember the "throne". Also was in charge of field party comms, so got out in the fields camps as often as I could.

Regards,

Eric

Gidday moparfever; who were you with in mctown; usarp or seabees ? I was a kiwi civilian down there working for a nz company on hire to uncle sam to look after there cat gear for the us navy. 2 names i remember was our 2 bosses skip mcgeorge and a alaskan butch badger. were others but memorys hazy, but may rember with a prod. Guy in the D8 was john stein i think.

Is a stretch D8 which is basically a 14A D8. Was a few factory fitted with D353 [D9] motors. "Big John" was one. All had names. Pam, Maryanne,Colleen, and Fang a gear drive 36A D8H. Few more pics for yous to enjoy. Was therej for 10 weeks summer of 83/84. Never forget some of you great people there introduced me to a guy called 'jack daniels' Certainly made one flightless little kiwi boy fly one night. :rolleyes:

Hi Merv,we saw one or two of those in the Arctic.Basically 583 S side boom cats(14A and 36As ,also 46A.s without the sidebooms on them .(made longer to accomodate the booms ,obviously) The "S" denoted sideboom.They had the extra track lenght like yours did,wider pads etc.