Air Show for Redpower1456

New Englander

I was in Abu Dhabi for a quick overnight last night; no time to look you up.

They're setting up for a big air show at Al Bateen for the 5th through the 8th. You probably already know but in case you don't......

In Kuwait for a couple of hours now then to Lisbon and get off the trip. Too long this time; I want to go home!

Yeep New Englander,

I'm going. My wife got me a free gate pass, courtesy of the university. Looking forward to seeing the latest and greatest in the general aviation industry.

Will try to take some pics. I've also noticed some military jets flying around in tight formations in the area. Maybe they're practicing for this show, although I didn't think that this was going to be a military exposition.

Link:

http://www.adairexpo.com

Starting to get hot here now near the end of winter. Hit 90 degrees F. the other day. B)

....will hope to catch you here some time when your time allows.

Thanks,

Rick G.

http://www.adairexpo.com

From the looks of that picture, there must be a lot of money walking around there. :):):) LE

Where did you think all our money went from buying Middle East oil? Guess what? You just found our oil money. Now lets get going and get the Bakken oil field developed and Keystone XL built. That way, the money stays in North America!!!

Where did you think all our money went from buying Middle East oil? Guess what? You just found our oil money. Now lets get going and get the Bakken oil field developed and Keystone XL built. That way, the money stays in North America!!!

True! Then they took the money and, instead of just blowing it, they used it to make more money!

The Emirates are clean, modern, fairly tolerant, and too friggin' hot in the summer! Nice in winter, though.

Here's a few of the pics I took on Tuesday at the Al Bateen Executive Airport. A beautiful day, probably got up in to the high 80's or low 90's. I'm not sure how many pics will fit in one reply, so will break them up into several replies.

This was primarily a general / civil aviation exposition, helicopters, biz jets, recreational aircraft, and all sorts of general aviation companies plying their wares and services.

Two of the larger jets there were a BOEING 737 / BBJ. (BBJ = BOEING Business Jet) and an Air Junk, er.... I mean Scare Bus, oops.... I mean Air Bus A-310, converted into a luxurious exec-business jet. Many of the jets were open for tours, and I enjoyed climbing aboard to take a look at how the big wigs fly.

And, as they are based in Abu Dhabi, ETIHAD Airlines had a pavilion at the expo, so I couldn't resist getting my pic taken with a lovely ETIHAD Airlines flight attendant.

It was a nice time.

Rick G.

post-690-0-23141300-1362634925_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-53856800-1362634962_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-74517200-1362634984_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-67279300-1362635005_thumb.jpg

more pics... In the first picture in this group, way out in the distance / background in the upper right, you can see those rounded domes- that is the HUGE Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. My wife Bel has toured the Grand Mosque once, last year when we were living in Dubai. Now that we are here in Abu Dhabi she wants to take me there so I can see it as well. They offer guided tours. I am looking forward to doing that.

post-690-0-22643600-1362635196_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-92614100-1362635217_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-97868100-1362635235_thumb.jpg

The beautiful blue and silver private plane in the picture on right is a CIRRUS SR-22, built by CIRRUS Aircraft out of Duluth, Minnesota! :);)

post-690-0-82261300-1362635291_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-88656200-1362635311_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-77402500-1362635330_thumb.jpg

and a couple more.......... my very own ETIHAD Airlines flight attendant (for one fleeting moment in time....) :wub::D ....chatted with her for a little bit. She is from England. These 5 star middle east airlines over here- ETIHAD, EMIRATES, and QATAR, will recruit and hire flight attendants from around the world. Ya I know I look like a dork. :P

Rick G.

post-690-0-58106100-1362635409_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-68926100-1362635429_thumb.jpg

Nice pics!

Funny thing about the Grand Mosque: We always used the big airport until it was suggested that Al Bateen would be more convenient, which it is. Anyway, the first time I landed there it was a rather murky night. Before the real approach light system came into view I could see a glow somewhat off to the side - the Grand Mosque all lit up. That explained why the approach minimums are high. The approach plate simply shows a tower depiction at the approach end of the runway which doesn't do justice to the actual grand structure there.

I haven't flown on Etihad but have used both Emirates and Qatar Airways to position and they're first class ++++ airlines.

A few years back when Etihad first started, we were descending into Dubai when my bad ears and time zone addled brain were shocked at the call sign they thought they heard. The other pilot started laughing and assured me that what I heard was Etihad, the new airline, not "Air Jihad"!

I picked up several souvenirs while I was at the expo. The Abu Dhabi Airports had a duty free shop set up at the show, and I bought a detailed 1:200 scale model (snap together) of a KLM 747-400. The KLM model caught my eye because my first ever 747 flight was aboard a KLM 747-400 in 2011 when my wife and I were flying from Dubai to Amsterdam on our way home.

post-690-0-79280900-1362989252_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-48106500-1362989396_thumb.jpg

Many aviation companies were passing out free caps, so I snagged a couple. One is from the French company DASSAULT AVIATION, and the other from BOMBARDIER / LEARJET.

Speaking of caps, I've got an IH cap story. Last year, we were strolling along Jumeirah Beach in Dubai. There was this guy walking with his girl / or wife wearing a Russian MIG cap. I noticed he kept staring at me and my all red IH cap. He spoke up and asked me if I was from the USA. He spoke rough English but I could understand him. I asked him if he was from Russia and he said Da / (yes). lol... He was interested in my IH cap and he wanted to know if I'd trade caps with him. I asked if I could see his baseball cap. It was like new and in very nice condition. It has the MIKOYAN (MIG) Design Bureau name and company logo stitched on it, plus an embroidered design of a MIG 29 stitched on it. It is pretty dam cool. So I told him yes I would be happy to trade caps. We exchanged caps and shook hands and thanked one another and away we went. lol.... I have no idea if he knew what the block IH logo meant on my red IH cap or not. Now I wish I would have tried to communicate with him more dang it. I have no idea if he worked for MIG or was just wearing one of their caps. I took my treasured MIG 29 cap back home to Michigan with me last spring and left it there at home for safe keeping. lol.... And I guess my red IH cap is somewhere in Russia these days. :D A lot of Russian tourists come to visit Dubai.

Rick G.

post-690-0-78564600-1362990058_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-37699000-1362990076_thumb.jpg

Did Dassault have a 7X demonstrator there?

New Englander, maybe it was this one? I don't know if it was their company demonstrator or not, but it was parked next to the DASSAULT pavilion on the ramp. Maybe they were just borrowing this one from someone if it wasn't their demo aircraft? I wanted to climb aboard this one, but at the moment I was there, they were expecting an entourage of big wigs to tour the aircraft very shortly, so they asked me if I could come back later. I never did go back to make it inside this one though.

You should have seen the executive grade flight attendants inside these biz jets. Yes they had executive flight attendants inside many of the planes to greet prospective clients and show them around the aircraft interiors.They were jaw dropping drop dead gorgeous. ha.... I wish I could have taken pics of the gals, but I felt that would have been way too obvious and intrusive, ha....

They were also serving up fancy chocolates :) , dates, tea, juice, or coffee inside some of the planes. Yum. lol.... Big production.

Rick G.

post-690-0-93292500-1363068081_thumb.jpg

No, that's their next smaller plane, a 900.

The 7X is the flagship, if you will. It's the same diameter but longer, has a much greater wing span with more sweep, bigger engines, more fuel, 3 hours more range, higher speed, etc.

N E would this be the 7X? It has 14 cabin windows along the side versus 12 side windows on the 900. I'm sorry I don't remember what all the information signs said that were posted outside each aircraft.

I sent you a PM the other day. Did you see it?

Rick G.

post-690-0-73180100-1363170591_thumb.jpg

Archived