826 gold demonstrator

Hi, guys. The 826 that I was going to make into a 1256 is in fact a gold demonstartor tractor, as pointed out to me by a well wisher. The fenders have been laying in the shop for 3 weeks now and I just noticed that there is gold paint under the peeling red on the underside. I looked under the engine hood and can also see gold. I understand that they were only produced for one year? This is a serial 11760 which puts it in the year 1970. Now I hate to part it out, but I'm not sure that I have the time or inclination to restore it properly. The engine has a knock, what if I put a used engine in it, does this affect the value? What would this tractor be worth in its current state?Or after its fixed up? I'll try to post a couple pics. Thanks, Rob

Congrats on striking gold by ploughing the garden, lol. What a way to find a gold demo!

I wouldn't think an engine knock would warrant jumping to the conclusion of engine replacement. Good luck on whatever you do with it!

If I could, I would go in and repair the engine that came in it. Certainly, be thankful. The rest of us are wishing for the same luck you have had vested on you. By the way, don't ever let anyone clean under those hood panels or paint over them. Be careful, someone will do it thinking they are doing you a favor.

So why were these tractors painted gold in the first place, and why are they red now? What makes it so special by just having gold paint? Were they gold from the factory? I know this one was gold as evidenced by the peeling paint on hood/fenders, etc, but what if the tractor was(is) gold, how can proof be shown that it was a gold demo to start with? Is there any way to track where this particular tractor was sold? It would be kind of cool to know a little more of its history, the guy I got it from doesn"t know. How many were made this way? Why did IH only do this in 1970? Now I'm not sure what I would like to do with it. I tried to post a couple pics, but they must be too big??? I'll have my wife try to do it later :) . thanks for your replies, I will be weighing my options for a while, I don't want to part it anymore, but now I am looking for some parts for my original plan for this machine.Thanks, Rob

Gold Demo's came from the factory with gold paint. Some had boosted horse power tuning. According to factory policy, the dealer was to paint them red over the gold paint after the unit was sold. Put back like original, they are sought after by IH guys. You document them by the original paint that you leave alone under the hood and the black pedistal and dash surround that you leave alone. I wished I had found gold paint under the hood of one of my tractors. Look at the other posts on this forum. Lucky dog. Research now before you proceed or sell it or trade it to someone on this forum that will put it back to original if you are not inclined to do it yourself. Some people just want the tractor for use and others collect, just a shame to ruin the originality of a rare tractor. Be kind to her.

Check out the" Gold Demos Post Your pictures " post going around now.

Hi, guys. The 826 that I was going to make into a 1256 is in fact a gold demonstartor tractor, as pointed out to me by a well wisher. The fenders have been laying in the shop for 3 weeks now and I just noticed that there is gold paint under the peeling red on the underside. I looked under the engine hood and can also see gold. I understand that they were only produced for one year? This is a serial 11760 which puts it in the year 1970. Now I hate to part it out, but I'm not sure that I have the time or inclination to restore it properly. The engine has a knock, what if I put a used engine in it, does this affect the value? What would this tractor be worth in its current state?Or after its fixed up? I'll try to post a couple pics. Thanks, Rob

Say what? Make an 826 into a 1256? How are you going to do that? In outward appearance only, like changing the 826 emblems to 1256 emblems? I'm not trying to be a smart allic here, just wondering if you can elaborate.

Rick G.

Rick if I remember correctly he was gonna roll the good half of the 12 to the good half of the 8. And make a single good useable tractor.

Exactly,1066smoker. Dad has a 1256 w/ a lot of problems, but with a usable engine, 826 has a bad engine. 1/2 +1/2=1 whole tractor. It would be good enough for who its for, because it wouldn't be used for heavy tillage, just for a feed wagon, cultivating, moving bales w/ a 3 pt fork, etc. Don't think thats the plan anymore :)

Rob and I are talking too see if we can come to a mutual agreement to save that 826. I will keep you posted if we can work something out. My main goal is to find him another "parts" tractor so this 826 will stay intact regardless of who ends up owning it.

Funny that this topic should be on here... Just happened to be snooping around C-list and saw that there is an 826 GD listed for sale on the Fort Dodge, IA listing page. I'd link to it, but you all know how that turns out. I wonder if it belongs to someone on here?

I can't believe these goldies keep popping up still after all these years. It's a good thing but just imagine how many fell to the torch....sad thought.

There's one in Goldsboro NC for sale an 826 gear drive for $18000 unrestored. The guy told me he was going to sell it to Stew Parquette and that Stew will buy all the gold demos. I told him Stew just wanted a complete set. Eason

I have an 826 diesel. Does your tractor have gas or diesel engine? They were offered with either engine - wide or narrow front - TA or Hydro. Mine is red, but I never really did allot of checking under the hood.

Archived