Is anyone changing tillage practices because of dry weather?

farmer john 8910

My biggest problem with no till is getting through the stalks with an NH3 toolbar. I usually have to disk or else leave piles everwhere

20' rotary mower?

My biggest problem with no till is getting through the stalks with an NH3 toolbar. I usually have to disk or else leave piles everwhere

20' rotary mower?

Kind of like TP said only with wind instead of flooding. I dont want all my stalks to blow away. I usually have good enough luck getting through them on the level ground where I can easily run the corn head right on the ground. Naturally its the steep rough ground with ditches in it that should be no tilled that I have trouble with.

Didn't know, I've never had trouble getting equipment to go through corn stubble but then again...you're in Iowa...I've never tried to run through 200+bu corn stubble either, lol.

Didn't know, I've never had trouble getting equipment to go through corn stubble but then again...you're in Iowa...I've never tried to run through 200+bu corn stubble either, lol.

Love the 200 bu, but the trash would just floor you...........

Yeah, I've been reading a lot about the newer BT varieties being extremely slow to break down. Has anyone tried spraying them down with liquid urea? I've heard of some people doing it to make the stubble more nutritious for graze and more digestable. Also recall seeing the boys on Ag PHD talking about it and claiming if you could get some nitrogen rich soil thrown around on them they would break down faster.

This soil health data claims the more microbial activity (or healthy the soil) the faster they will break down also.

Yeah, I've been reading a lot about the newer BT varieties being extremely slow to break down. Has anyone tried spraying them down with liquid urea? I've heard of some people doing it to make the stubble more nutritious for graze and more digestable. Also recall seeing the boys on Ag PHD talking about it and claiming if you could get some nitrogen rich soil thrown around on them they would break down faster.

This soil health data claims the more microbial activity (or healthy the soil) the faster they will break down also.

GASP! Nitrogen rich soil thrown on stubble and it would break down faster! How is that done if you follow the true no-till bible!?????

Just kidding, yes that does work..............But you have to move dirt???? So we are back to square one.

:blink: Bwahaha, nice catch! I don't think they are big fans of No-till :lol:

Actually I was using what I recalled them saying about nitrogen rich soil contacting the residue to back up the working theory about urea sprayed residue breaking down faster without tillage. ^_^ I didn't mean to suggest dropping the no-till practice. :lol: I was thinking a person might be able to immediately spray down the residue as part of fertilzer regiment for COC.

I don't do COC here so I don't know. I used corn on beans on wheat on beans on corn or CoBoCoWoB...of course now I'll be throwing a cover into the mix and no...I'm not abreviating that mess, lol. :blink:

our co-op has a couple of anhydrous bars that use discs instead of knives. you have to look pretty close to see the marks. works great for stalks i want to let the cows graze.

problem is, too wet and the thing plugs. too dry, and since it works shallow compared to knives, then you worry about loss

our co-op has a couple of anhydrous bars that use discs instead of knives. you have to look pretty close to see the marks. works great for stalks i want to let the cows graze.

problem is, too wet and the thing plugs. too dry, and since it works shallow compared to knives, then you worry about loss

I have never seen one of those, sounds interesting. how deep will it go? I shoot for 6 to 8 inces.

Archived