Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

john r

Scout hood latch

I can't get the hood open on my 1980 scout .I think the cable is still intact.It alwas was a little tricky but now it will not release at all..Any hints ? I suspect the latch is just set too tight.I don't think I can remove the hinges. thanks for any help

post-1253-0-42764900-1358317782_thumb.jp

take off the hood latch knob. pair of vise grips. and pull the damn thing til she pops open. if you have a buddy you can have him tap on the center of the hood where the latch is. may be sticky. other than that i cant help you. im sure some old timers have some hidden trick that hasnt been shown to me yet

Done that ; many times nothing. thanks anyway

Have you tried removing the grill and reaching into it from there?

Have you tried removing the grill and reaching into it from there?

reaching what buddy? i guess you could remove the hinges there if ur flexible. but the scout suicide hood is an odd design. im staring at my scout trying to figure it out and im sorry but i dont know another way to get it open short of prying up or shoving it down. sorry man. hope you get it

Not any other scouts around here but if I looked at one with the hood open I might get some hint.Body work is all done and primed so don't want to damage it after all the time and $$$ in it. And yes the hood opens at the rear like a 58 ford if I remember right

post-1253-0-82233700-1358386589_thumb.jp

I haven't had to do it myself, but I've heard people talk about having to snake a hook up from underneath to catch the lever on the latch when they've broken the release cable. It doesn't look easy to get to around the clutch housing, but if the pliers and pounding on it won't do it, you may have to try something like that.

Howard

We had a 73 model that my son drove in high school------had the hood latch not release. Don't remember how we did it------but seems like we were able to fish a heavy wire with a hook on the end and pull the latch to open it (working under truck).

Removed the latch mechanism and installed two upright studs with hair pins (see them used on racing vehicles----picked them up at a parts store)------then drilled the hood and fastened it down with the hair pins.

Do remember it being a nightmare to get it unlatched------didn't want to go back through that process. Luckily it had the inline 6 cyld----lot more room than with a V8.

DD

IHRunner; That pic may help. So the piece with the wire or cable hooked to it would need to be bumped towards the rear in the pic with the hood up but would be back and upward 45 degees with the hood down.That sound right?Not going to be easy with that 345 right below the latch but I will try it

thats my 78 and im hoping they didnt make any changes from 78 to 80 in the dogleg or something stupid like that. basically the dogleg needs to be shoved towards the firewall when you're under there. that scout has a 196 in it so i can basically sit in the left side of the engine compartment if needed. looks like your best bet may be crawling under there and seeing if you can shove that lever to the firewall. god knows i wouldnt want to try. if that fails we'll see what we can come up with. i have the front end dissambled on my terra right now so if we need i can get more detailed man. you just let me know what you wanna see and ill post it up

That's the same design from the begining of the scout 2s to the end. I'll try and get some pictures from the bottom. Eason

Here are some pictures of a parts scout with a 345 auto. The truck is laying on it's side so it's easy to snap some pictures of the latch from the bottom. Eason

004-7.jpg

003-13.jpg

002-8.jpg

A Big crowbar works wonders, of course it does spring things a tad :)

Sorry I forgot the hoods on these open forward

Didn't find time to look at it yet and we are heading south tomorrow for a warmer place for a while.I think our wind chill yesterday was close to-40. We have a trailer in Yuma[and a yellow 73 cub we bought last year]back to here in March

`I was a grade foreman for a construc. co for a few yrs. in the late 80-s early 90-s. They gave me a scout 2 to use it had a 345 in it , had meat hanging ac. in it auto with 4wd . I loved this truck . Gas mil. was pretty poor , but it sat and idled almost all day long . It had a Motarola fm. radio to communacate with main office & trucks & heavy equipt. & these old radios drew alot of current , so that's why we had to leave them idle all day long . But i really liked the scout it had plenty off power and never failed to start .