Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2+2 Guy

Looking For Ideas For This Old Truck

I bought this 52 L-160 from a fellow forum member last summer and am looking for ideas and suggestions on how to do the restoration.

6cyl. engine has been rebuilt. Virtualy no rust. A few dents & bruises from 60 years of work. Just needs some TLC & new paint.

It was originally a grain truck. he removed the grain box many years ago and installed the 5th wheel.

Still has the PTO on the trans.

Option #1

Fab or buy flat bed. My F-14 or C would look good sitting up there at a show.

Option#2

Restore as grain truck. Could be fun to use at Rantoul or Penfield shows hauling grain.

Option#3

Leave as 5th wheel and find an old trailer & use it to haul to local shows. Don't think I want to go too far away with it.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

52ihtruck_zps6075967d.jpg

thats sexy right there. id personally either flat bed it or leave it. it looks sick right now. but a flat bed would look so nice back there

I think I would be looking for a trailer to match the old sweetheart maybe a portable parking lot to collect more fascinating treasures

Find an old gin pole body for it? I wouldnt paint it if it were mine. Looks pretty nice the way it is and it's only original once.

That is a nice old truck that you have got. I personally would put a tipping flatbed with removeable sides and taildoor ,that way it can cart tractors as a flatbed and still cart grain as a tipper . I would shift the exhausts closer to the cab because I think they would look better .

Great looking truck. I too think the exhaust should be moved closer to the cab. Maybe a couple of heat sheilds on them. I would leave it as a fifth wheel but I'm partial to them. I would add a low-boy trailer to haul my equipment and maybe get a small dump trailer for the grain.

G86

Just curious, would the old L have enough brakes to stop a loaded trailer safely? It is a fine looking truck as is.

Just curious, would the old L have enough brakes to stop a loaded trailer safely? It is a fine looking truck as is.

Good point, Loadstar. The p.o. had used vacume over hydraulic brakes for the trailer he pulled. I think it was a small grain trailer.

Been kinda lean'n toward the grain bed with removeable sides so I could also use it as a flat bed. Guess I could even install a gooseneck ball on the bed and have that option if I wanted to pull a trailer with it.

The paint is not original and looks better in the pic than it actually is.

It runs, drives and sounds great. Will have it at RPRU in Lima, OH pretty much as is.----59,000 original miles and I am the second owner in 60 years. :wub:

I just had to buy it 'cause it's the same model year as me. :P

Some time back, someone posted some info about windshield replacement glass part #s for IH trucks. I know that I printed it out and have it filed somewhere. If I remember correctly, the same part # glass was used on several of the old IH trucks & if one were to give that # to any auto glass co. they could get it. If my memory is correct.

There is a crack in the windshield that I would like to get fixed before then.

I know that it will be IH red. Did the trucks use 2150 like the tractors or was it different?

Whatdaya think about painting the front fenders black like some of the older trucks were or just stick with oem color scheme?

Thanks for all your ideas & comments.

The only reason I mention the brakes is that my S160 manual brakes are quite adequate when the truck is empty but I found one time with 1250 gallons of water on the tank in the box it took all my strength on the pedal to stop the truck just inches from running into the vehicle that was towing me.

Color charts for most years IH can be seen here. http://colorcharts.oldinternationaltrucks.ca/

Nice truck, I would loose the stacks if it were mine. If that truck was a tractor since it was new I would leave it like it is, Not many little semi tractors like that servived. There are trailers out there. The US millitary still used morphidited equipment with vacuum/juice/ air brake combinations not all that many years ago, I think a trailer could be found very reasonbly with a little research.

There was some brake options available as add on kits. Obviously a gooseneck flatbed a guy can wire in brake controller to operate electric brakes. For air brakes I seen a kit that installs a electric air compressor and tank, and then install the same brake components from the big rigs. So that's a few options. Another option is harder but a guy could look for the older trailer with vacuum brakes. Bad thing parts I imagine for brakes are almost impossible to get. But that would allow you to use the standard brakes from the truck and the hydro vac would be able to control the trailer brakes. I'll have to look, but I have a parts book for the 180 series showing the piping of vacuum brakes from the truck.

I guess if it were me I would go with a gooseneck flatbed and electric brakes. You'll have enough stopping power. When I had the flatbed on it, I had a two bottom plow on the truck bed, then had a hitch to pull a car trailer and a farmall h on it. Had electric brakes on the trailer and never had a problem stopping the load. Plus I did a lot with the motor, downshifting and then braking. Worked for me that way. Lol. I'll have to see if I can find that picture of the setup. I don't have the pic but I think a friend has it. It always was hot going to shows but got a lot of heads to turn with it. I hope she will be everything you need John she's a fun vehicle! Keep the pictures coming and I'll see if I can roundup some more of it too.

Heres a picture when it still ahd the bed and hoist on it.

post-50481-0-94495000-1358025164_thumb.j

And another side. It was a 13' box originally. The rear axle was about right down the middle of the box. You can just see the rear hitch I built under the bed. Pulled a 16' car trailer with it. Then a 74-200 4x4, blue, in the background to the right lol.

The other picture is of the original hoist that it had. Think it was an Anthony. Reason it came off was, the hydraulic shop was having a hard time getting some of the seals, and so made the decision to remove the bed and hoist.

post-50481-0-56693200-1358025303_thumb.j

post-50481-0-07435500-1358025892_thumb.j

post-50481-0-57276600-1358025901_thumb.j

Nice truck, I would loose the stacks if it were mine.

Just curious if that is a true dual exhaust system or is one pipe just for looks? I know GM had a split exhaust manifold option for their sixes but not sure if IH did. I've never seen one anyway.

Love the way it looks with the flatbed although i think that bed in the pics is a little bit to long for the wheelbase.I would also add fenders(guards) around the rear wheels.Still a nice truck whatever you do with it.

John wish you were closer west to make the RPRU in SD in 2014. I'd love to see it with your touch of restoration. Keep posting pictures of the progress!

Love the way it looks with the flatbed although i think that bed in the pics is a little bit to long for the wheelbase.I would also add fenders(guards) around the rear wheels.Still a nice truck whatever you do with it.

It was used for grain and having the bed balanced that way kept the right amount of weight from front to rear axles. Few times we used it, i remember the truck being able to haul 230bu of soybeans.

And another side. It was a 13' box originally. The rear axle was about right down the middle of the box. You can just see the rear hitch I built under the bed. Pulled a 16' car trailer with it. Then a 74-200 4x4, blue, in the background to the right lol.

The other picture is of the original hoist that it had. Think it was an Anthony. Reason it came off was, the hydraulic shop was having a hard time getting some of the seals, and so made the decision to remove the bed and hoist.

Thanks for posting the pics, Sean. I'm think'n the original flatbed look is going to be the way to go.

Loadstar, it is a homemade dual exhaust system. Sean did a nice job on it and it sounds absoutely awsome. Makes that little 6 banger sound like a real beast going down the road. ;)

John

Thanks for posting the pics, Sean. I'm think'n the original flatbed look is going to be the way to go.

Loadstar, it is a homemade dual exhaust system. Sean did a nice job on it and it sounds absoutely awsome. Makes that little 6 banger sound like a real beast going down the road. ;)

John

I'd be interested to see pictures under the hood of how the exhaust comes off the manifold. I've had problems with cracked exhaust manifold on my two six cylinder engines. My S160 is a low mileage truck too and was originally a short wheelbase. One of the previous owners added a section to the middle of the frame to make it a longer wheelbase and had a 12 foot wooden grain box on it.

I thought the exhaust sounded good too. Little loud for the wife at the time lol. Always sounded like a cummins 6bt wuthout the turbo whistle lol. That was always the first questioned asked if the engine was original.

All i did was cut the pipe a foot or two ahead of the muffler. Then made a 3" t and came out the sides. Theres about a foot of flex hose to join the original pipe to the t. Stock manifold, with the donut seal between.

You mentioned a few posts ago about information for a windshield, the number is DW142

You mentioned a few posts ago about information for a windshield, the number is DW142

Thanks,Bruce...

It helps when you have to replace one. By the way mine cost $460 here in Alberta, all in: Seal, taxes, and installation.