Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old-F20

Lineset code question

I have the lineset ticket for my 1955 R-202 and need to figure out my rearend ratio.

this is what i have for a line code

7049 Gear Ratio 1447 D

does this tell us anything?

TIA

You might have a 14 tooth pinion and a 47 tooth ring giving a ratio of 3.36:1 which I doubt. Did you try crawling under the truck and seeing what is stamped on the housing? International was very good at doing this.

You might have a 14 tooth pinion and a 47 tooth ring giving a ratio of 3.36:1 which I doubt. Did you try crawling under the truck and seeing what is stamped on the housing? International was very good at doing this.

nope, its like 9 degrees out with the wind screaming. even though its in the shed i dont feel like crawling in the dirt and trying to scrape old grease off...........im still cold from pushing snow earlier today <_<

where would it be if i did want to try and locate it? was it on a tag bolted on something like Dana axles typically have?

7.049 might be a gear ratio? I think that It would be fairly close to what is in my 1700.

7.049 seems like a pretty steep gear. How does your loadstar do running down the road (mph and rpm)?

The ratio is stamped on the top of the carrier right near the pinion shaft unless it has been changed out (the carrier )

I do have to admit that 7.049 is a possibility. My R130 has a 7.39 rear end .

7.049 seems like a pretty steep gear. How does your loadstar do running down the road (mph and rpm)?

Sorry, I missed this.

About 65 mph at 4000 rpm. (392 gas.) Realistically it runs 55 to 58 comfortably.

I found that my rear axle is pretty common, it has electric shift and was made unchanged for a lot of years.

This might help with info locations.

http://www.dana.com/wps/wcm/connect/a3eaee004b289140aa75fff859534476/DEXT-axsm0040-0795_DriveAxlesServiceManual_LR.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

PS: This is what my 1700 axle looks like.

post-546-0-95295300-1356548991_thumb.jpg

Friggin things are very large. No boubt a big ring gear. I can't find the right docs at the moment <_< but it seems like axle low reduction is around 10:1.

My F700 has a 2 speed with the low end @ just under 10:1 (9.91---9:96 ??) -----high range is in the low 7-1 range. (429 engine with 10:00x20 tires)

Sounds like the same ratio that M-D has----most ratios were common for a long period of time. Gotta always consider tire sizes into the mix and intended original use.

Most I have seen are either stamped on the housing or carry a small aluminum tag with the ratios stamped on it.

DD

I may just have to go out tomorrow with my flashlight and scraper to see if i can find the stamping. Mkaes me wonder what mine will be since its a single speed rearend. The truck has a 7 and a 3 in it behind an RD450. It runs some beefy 11.00*20 rubber

well i went out with my scraper and my work light. what grease i could get to come off i didnt find anything. 50 year old frozen grease doesnt come off too well. however, the axle has a diff cover like you would see on like a smaller Dana even thoght the 'pumpkin' still comes out the front. so tomorrow im gonna take my cordless impact, and drip pan and see if i cant get in there and just pyhsically count the pinion and ring gear teeth and do some math.........

For the gassers a 6:50 ratio was a racer ratio and the 7:17 ratio was a hard work ratio.These were Eaton ratios that was used when I first started trucking but don't hear tell of them much now.I suspect your ratio will be around the 7:50 mark.

Cooter

Company I work for has had thousands of medium duty trucks with gas engines and single speed rear diffs. 7.17 ratio with tire sizes 8.25 x 20 all the way to 11.00 x 22.5.

The old trucks topped out about 55, the new ones over 70

well, i went out and took a look. its a double reduction axle and i cant see all the teeth on all the gears to do the math.

i came up with 2 options.

A- find a 4900 or soemthing like that wrecked and just take engine tranny and rearend out of it and put it into the 202

B- leave the rearend in it, leave the brownie in it and just keep it in OD. put the 466 in it like i planed and run a straight 10 speed