966 Park brake

66 Series Farmer

I have a 966 and the park brake slips or doesn't hold when on a slight decline going backwards. When it's parked headed down hill I haven't had any issues. I'm assuming (hoping) that maybe the tooth or teeth on the backside of the gear brake are broke off or worn down. If this is the case how involved is it to replace? Is it as simply as taking off the deck plate and the top tranny cover and it's right there?

I'm pretty handy with the wrench and not afraid to tear into it but just don't know what I'm getting in to. Prefer not to pay in town labor if its easy and I can do it.

Hoping for a broken gear tooth is not what you want! The park lock pawl engages the reverse gear in the transmission. To replace that gear requires a complete tear down of the rear end.

Most likely the link under the platform has bent and no longer move the pawl completely into the reverse gear. The simple fix is to repair/replace the bent link and adjust the brake.

It is a problem area and that is why the update was done where there is a spring under the cover which engages the pawl. It works much better but is more work than just repairing the original linkage.

Thank you Toyboy for the picture diagram. That gives me an idea of what to expect. I found an older posting (2007) regarding parking brakes last night late that had a lot of good information on it too. I actually think my problem is the linkage is bowed or just needs readjusted like Owen stated. I'm going to look into the update kit as well.

Archived