Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farmallzach

Tilting Emerville Cab

I need to tilt the Cab on my 1958 Emerville all the way over for engine removal, what is the correct way of doing this. Thanks, Zach

post-14088-0-95014200-1355077932_thumb.j

Nice truck!!! What year, 65?? I had one of those many years ago I used to pull a grain trailer. Mine also had the single headlights and it was titled as a 65 model. I never did tilt my cab all the way over but heard it could be done. Mine had a Cummins 250 with an add on turbo and a 10 speed Road Ranger transmission, Hedrickson suspension twin screw.

It's a 1958, With an NH220 cummins, it has a spun bearing so the crankshaft must come out. These were the trucks that actually coined the term Emeryville, and were most often refered to as Emeryvilles. These replaced the Highbinder, and there were others manufatured in Emerville, Ca. I also have a West Coaster or RDT-405, that was probly built in Emerville, Ca. That is the project that I want to get done be these others always get in my way. The truck came with another supposidly good 220 but the mice got into it and it is froze solid so I am going to put a crankshaft in this one. This engine was overhauled not that long ago but someone over reved the engine hard and it spun a bearing.

From the Jim Nesbitt song I ain't Never Been Passed, "Got me a brand new Emeryville, now that's what I call class!"

JD, you sure had a nice outfit, super clean all the way! ;)

JD, you sure had a nice outfit, super clean all the way! ;)

Thanks! This photo was taken in 1972, wish I had a dollar for every bushel I shoveled to the floor traps in that old Trailmobile trailer. The farmer that bought it from me ran it maybe another 10 years and then it went to the salvage yard as the engine developed a bad knock.

Werent those refered to as "High Binders"

The High Binders preceded the DCO-405 Emeryville.

Howard

post-425-0-41432000-1355193385_thumb.jpg

Them High Binders look kinda pointless. NEVER have seen one in real life but it appears most of the engine is still out front. So why were they so high? That Emery looks nice Zach. So does that old grain truck JD.

Them High Binders look kinda pointless. NEVER have seen one in real life but it appears most of the engine is still out front. So why were they so high?

im noe expert but i would have to say because that style cab has a flat floor with no doghouse. same cab (for the most part) as whats on my '55 R-202. even with the engine low it still would have to sit up high to clear everything. also IIRC they had overall length limits back then and to haul the most frieght you could you wanted th epower unit as short as possible

Them High Binders look kinda pointless. NEVER have seen one in real life but it appears most of the engine is still out front. So why were they so high?

im noe expert but i would have to say because that style cab has a flat floor with no doghouse. same cab (for the most part) as whats on my '55 R-202. even with the engine low it still would have to sit up high to clear everything. also IIRC they had overall length limits back then and to haul the most frieght you could you wanted th epower unit as short as possible

I never thought about the flat(er) floor. I assume that is when larger diesel engines were coming into play as well. So funny to see the 'big' rigs of the past vs. today. The scale has changed hasn't it?

A High binder has a flat floor, You basically have a R or L series "Comfovision Cab" I beleive that is what they were called, mounted on a frame that sits on top of the engine. The bubble out front of the cab housed the radiator. The fenders on these trucks swung out tward the front of the truck for access to the engine, a real treat to work on,

Back to my Emeryville, the HRBF Cummins engine has to come out, the main bearings are toast, but I will save this engine and overhaul it in the future to put in my RDT405 "West Coaster" I have an NH220 to put in the Emeryville, BUT mice got into the air intake and it is siezed up, so it has to come apart also. Hopefully nothing serious. So much for my cheap and easy winter project.

One super nice looking truck. My dad and uncles had some emeryviles ti the sixties I think they were 65 models with cummins 220 overhauled and added turbo at 1million miles and was sold at another 700,000 would sure love to have an old emeryvile but here in Mo. they are very rare. Be proud of yours.

farmallzach, I would like to have the sunvisor that is on your E'ville for mine. Do you know what it is off of? I have a '64 steel cab and there is a '65 aluimnum cab about 30 miles from me. The '65 is a lot closer to being done than mine but I hope to have mine at the ATHS show in Springfield, Mo in 2014. Mine is the 80' cab and has a 250 Cummins with 10 speed setting on Hendrickson rubber block suspension. Is black with a white just below the window tapering down to the corner of the grille in front.

1hot560 I know where there is a single axle Emeryville for sale at Stanton, Mo it has a 220 Cummins with I believe a 5&2 trans setup, I could be wrong on that.

farmallzach would you e-mail me I would like to talk with you about that sunviser. hale904@sbcglobal.net

I would think that you will need to unhook the safety cable and the cylinders to get the cab tilted all the way over. May be wrong about the cylinders but the cable will have to be unhooked for sure. I have a set of repair manuals for the IH trucks I will look in it and find out the correct procedure. I didn't have to do any motor work on mine but am getting ready to pull the trans to replace the clutch. Have fun with the E'ville, I knew I wanted on when I saw the one that Skinner Transportation out of somewhere in Wis owned at a show about 20yrs ago and have had mine since '06. Talk later. Tom Hale (Brown Dirt Cowboy)

farmallzach, I would like to have the sunvisor that is on your E'ville for mine. Do you know what it is off of? I have a '64 steel cab and there is a '65 aluimnum cab about 30 miles from me. The '65 is a lot closer to being done than mine but I hope to have mine at the ATHS show in Springfield, Mo in 2014. Mine is the 80' cab and has a 250 Cummins with 10 speed setting on Hendrickson rubber block suspension. Is black with a white just below the window tapering down to the corner of the grille in front.

1hot560 I know where there is a single axle Emeryville for sale at Stanton, Mo it has a 220 Cummins with I believe a 5&2 trans setup, I could be wrong on that.

farmallzach would you e-mail me I would like to talk with you about that sunviser. hale904@sbcglobal.net

I would think that you will need to unhook the safety cable and the cylinders to get the cab tilted all the way over. May be wrong about the cylinders but the cable will have to be unhooked for sure. I have a set of repair manuals for the IH trucks I will look in it and find out the correct procedure. I didn't have to do any motor work on mine but am getting ready to pull the trans to replace the clutch. Have fun with the E'ville, I knew I wanted on when I saw the one that Skinner Transportation out of somewhere in Wis owned at a show about 20yrs ago and have had mine since '06. Talk later. Tom Hale (Brown Dirt Cowboy)

I sent you an email. just wondered if you got it, farmallzach@hotmail.com