Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric Farley

Anyone seen a socket like this?

Ok guys, does any know where one can find a socket for the early D361 head bolts? I know you can just a 1/2 drive and catch half the points but I know I used one at the dealership. I would bet I'll never need it again, but iI just like knowing i have one in my tool box, It looks like a big #80 torx but has 8 points, reather than 6. I would call it a 1/2 inch. 8 point , 1/2 drive, male socket, or driver, or a male double square.Im sure it has a FES # but i think you would know it of you saw it.

I know if anyone will know, it would be you guys.

Thanks

You already have one. It is called a 1/2" drive extension. ;) I am serious. Our enclosed trailers use 8 pt screws and we use a square drive and only bite half the holes.

Thanks Scott, I did an engine job last month on a 361 the guy that had the head off before me, let his ext. slip and it messed up the splines, if I had the 8 point I would feel safer than using the 4 point 1/2 drive

Busman7, your close, if you look at the picture of the double square socket, thats exactly what the bolt head looks like so I need a tool that fits inside that.

I have 8 point sockets came from Sears. Use the on square head pipe plugs.

I kind of think you are looking for a double square driver, but I have no idea where to find the thing. Probably Snap-On or one of those type tool providers to shops. Let us know if you find it.

Ron

Mcmaster Carr also have the 8 point. Ken Ryan

Thanks guys, I will let you know if I find it. I think the double square driver sounds like what its called, Ive checked with all the tool trucks, snap on. ect. they just scratch their head I looked up ferry head bolts and found what I think is closer, its called a socket cap bolt, the only trouble is all the tools I find are the 6 point torx or 12 point. I see 8 point sockets, but they are the female type and fit square nuts, maybe im loosing my mind and made it up. lol

Will a std 8 point socket (female) work if you put a short piece square keystock in it? Thx-Ace

Acem, yes that will work, but it would be the same as just using a standard 1/2 drive extension, the issue I have is that when the bolts get worn and the 1/2 inch drive 4 point, only contacts every other notch, it wants to slip when you apply torque to the bolt. if I can find a 8 point, it would fit more securely. if the bolt splines were to ever strip, the bolt head would have to be cut and that would be hard to do in some of the places the bolts are in.

I take it your more worried about getting it taken apart than going back together..... I'd just weld a nut on the bolt head, you can use a sleeve of pipe around the bolt head to protect everything from spatter.

But I know what you mean, there should be a proper tool for the job & unfortunately, IDK where to get that one. Maybe a person could get something custom made at a machine shop?

Can you cut the extensiin off really square so it isn't as rounded on the end? That should help it not slip out as easy.

I understand what you mean about bite. I would think something that big wouldnt strip that easy. I suppose it just strips on a bigger scale...lol