Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red track

1700 loadstar gravel truck

Picked up a 1976 loadstar 1700 with a MV404 engine and allison auto trans from the town. Needs a little TLC but the big one is the distributer drive gear on the cam is wore and wears out the gear on the dist in a short time. I have been told that its getting really hard to get a cam for these engines. When I bought the truck the guy sais it had a 392 but after getting it home and looking at it closer I found it was the 404. A few guys have told me that this cam gear issue is common on all IH gas engines. We have always has IH trucks around but all with inline 6 gassers or diesels. What are the auto trannys like in the trucks? It wont see alot of miles, just a little work around the farm and a couple 10 mile trips a year for a few loads of gravel. If all else fails I was thinking of pulling the cab and driveline and turning it into a pull trailer behind the tractor. I really dont want to go that route if I can help it, I would rather keep the truck original. post-2089-0-49497600-1350838952_thumb.jppost-2089-0-76890300-1350839030_thumb.jppost-2089-0-74169800-1350839076_thumb.jp

With an auto, no two speed axle?

I am under the impression that 392 parts would have been easier but they are all fading fast.

I'm building an ECU setup that could provide spark without a distributor but the coil packs would be a little spendy. Have to mount a pickup on the crank somewhere. Let me know if you want to try it.

That is a mighty fine looking rig to be considering scrapping into a wagon.

I would think there would be MV support around.

The MV was never widely used in trucks like the V266/392 was but it showed up in some odd places.

Dodge M300 and M400 motor home chassis after 1979. Not the van conversion but the big-one.

It was the school bus engine for all gassers 79-83 or so.

It basically was in any IH application that was previously a V266-392.

A custom cam cam grinder who knows their stuff should be able to creat a one-off cam

A good machinest could cut and replace the gear.

Find a good V345 engine and replace the MV, was a much better engine anyway.

The redesign to the MV was to meet the gasser smog due in 1980[?], not for power or durability so far as I recall.

ON the very cheap you put a ford 302 in it; cheapest engine on earth to produce 175 HP with.

Paint it IH red and call it a service duty light weight engine.

I left the International shop scene in 76 and have little experience with the 404/446 series, and they may have had an inherent weakness in the dist. drive gear of the cam, but we maintained many fleets of IH gas engines of the earlier vintage and don't ever recall a problem even once with the dist drive gear on the cam

Rick/mn

I left the International shop scene in 76 and have little experience with the 404/446 series, and they may have had an inherent weakness in the dist. drive gear of the cam, but we maintained many fleets of IH gas engines of the earlier vintage and don't ever recall a problem even once with the dist drive gear on the cam

Rick/mn

DITTO I ran a 304 or 345 in a light duty from 1968 to 1988; never a cam gear issue; only distributer issue I had was the upper dist bearing wore out after 15 years or so on the v304.

I have never been exposed to the mv since IH dropped the light duty in 75.

I did a little more digging into the last few times this truck was worked on and got ahold of the work orders from the town. Looks to me like whoever did the work on it was using 392 parts so that might be a bit of an issue. Now im wondering if the gear on the disrtibutor is the wrong one causing it to wear out all the time. My neighbour has a tandem truck with a MV446 and said he has never touched the engine other than regular service but did say he has heard to that the 404 & 446 had cam issues. I do know where there is a good 345 in a scout. Are the bell housings the same on the smaller engines or do I need an adapter? Im going to pull the truck into the shop next week if things go good and I get cought up with a few things here first and then ill see just how bad it really is. ill get more pictures as i go and keep you all up to date on things.

I would love to know if the 345 / 392 would interchange a transmission with a 404/446. if you find anything out that would be grand. I like the old truck it looks clean and straight.

Did a little more looking at the old truck last night and found both the distributor gear and the gear on the cam are shot. The gear on the cam actually comes off and could be easily replaced BUT...... I cant find either gear anywhere. Would someone have a source for these gears or even part numbers for them? The motor is an MV404 in a 1976 Loadstar 1700. Ant direction here would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

There is a timing gear set on ebay right now. Guess we aren't supposed to post links to ebay, but if you search MV446 timing set it should come up for you. It's $85

Thanks farmall57 for the info, dont think there is anything wrong with telling where one can aquire parts just not supposed to sell for personal purposes. I checked it out but unfortunatly they are the wrong ones. I need the gear on the camshaft that drives the distributor itself not the actual camshaft gear. Ill try get the motor apart shortly and take a few pics of the gears im looking for, that might help in my search a little.

yes, duh, I guess I was thinking removable cam gear and normally would not be the distributor gear. But, you are correct, the MV engines have a removable distributor drive gear on the cam. That part number is 446563C1. The gear on the distributor is 460731C1. I have an old Loadstar parts book I'm getting these numbers from.

I did a search and found the drive gear:

http://travelallpart..._source=SITEMAP

I've read on the IH forums these guys are horrible to deal with, but it may be your only choice...good luck.

If the part number is a good IHC number you might want to try IH Parts America (formerly known as IH Only North) http://www.ihonlynorth.com/

They are really good people and easy to work with.

They deal in the light duty stuff but are able to get some of the medium duty stuff as well.

If you come up short with them, I work for an IC Bus dealer and we can get any IHC part that is in the IHC parts book. I just don't know about price or availablitiy.

Thanks for the lead Mike O, ill be giving them a call in the morning to see if they can help me. Tried the guys that farmall57 gave me a link to but wasnt getting to far there. Hoping a couple guys will get back to me about complete running engines they have for sale, would really like to get the truck up and running again. Guess the other option would be a 345 or 392 it the bell housings were the same as the 404, parts seem alot easier to come by for them.

Well no luck with "IH only North" they said the 392 was the biggest they delt with. Had one guy call me back with an engine he has but said its stuck now and someone has helped themselves to the carb and distributor already. Going to keep looking though, there has to be parts out there somewhere.

Pulled the truck in the shop the other day and started pulling it apart just to see how bad things in there really are. Need a water pump now to. Took the belts loose and can move the fan a good half inch, wasnt leaking yet though. Was talking to a guy who worked for IH years back and he said the 6.9L diesels were based off the 404 and 446 block and if you compare them they are really close in design so a 6.9L or 7.3L IDI wouldnt be to bad of a swap. Think ill stick to finding parts for the gasser for now though. Got the front end off the engine and that was it for tonight. Tomorrow ill pull the cam gear and have a look at the distributor drivr gear. The one on the distributor is in really bad shape so im assuming the one on the crank will be bad as well.

post-2089-0-87800300-1353293413_thumb.jppost-2089-0-31055100-1353293443_thumb.jppost-2089-0-02563200-1353293467_thumb.jp

Well when you least expect something it pops up. Got an email from travelallparts saying there inventory has been updated and the cam gear is now available so i gave them a call today and ordered one. This guy I talked to was really good to deal with and said they were having some issues with inventory in the past so hopfully now the online listing is more in tune with what they really have in stock. Anyway im one step or gear closer to running again, now just the dist gear to track down and im good to go.