Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brucekoukalaka

My pair of monsters

Hi I'm new to this forum The name's Bruce and I own a pair of 'Binders a '53 R 130 and a '72 1710A COE. Both are in need of repair as I just purchased? them. The R130 I bought from a farmer for $500. CDN after discussing buying the '52 he had setting next to it, and the '72 I picked up for a set of 16" tires that I had no use for. Not too shabby I'd say .

Welcome,

NIce trucks, I have a 53 R-110 that I am going to restore next year,

We like pictures!

The engine for the '53 is out and mostly torn down #4 piston is being REALLY stubborn !!! and I haven't removed the cam yet.

The pistons are all out and the block is ready to go to the machine shop. Now to start working on the cab & box, I want to clean the rust up a bit so I can have something worthy of car shows.

That's a nice lookin 130 ya got there!

Looks really complete and not to banged up & rusted out.

How was the front of the box for rust? All of mine have rust either on the bed floor, the front bulkhead, or both.

I've got a '52 L-130 in about the same condition but I haven't gotten it running yet. It's loose but has no compression so it needs an engine teardown too. It just keeps getting pushed farther onto the back burner though.

The cabover and your garage helper aren't bad looking either. :)

The old box on the '53 is actually in very good condition not rusted out at all. As for Kara I'd love to teach her some "mechanics" LOL The Cabover was in a lot tougher shape than I thought so it went to the wreckers. Couldn't save it frame was cracked, floor missing, and trans jammed in 3rd gear. I think it would have cost more than what I could afford to fix. I've just added a pic of the front half of my box to show what it looks like there is only surface rust throughout the whole truck.

Ok so now I have another '53. This time an R 160, haven't seen it in person but the pics are worth the $300 price tag. Looks like I can cut the very long frame back to a reasonable length (it is 14' from the cab to the rear axle which is a bit long for my needs) BTW the engine from my 130 is at the machine shop in an acid bath and will be prepped for a rebuild by Wednesday .

The engine is looking very good according to the rebuilder so I might have it up and running in a few weeks (I'd love a nice Christmas)...

Bruce,

Since you have photobucket here is a tip on how to include individual pictures in your post(s). click on the picture in photobucket. You should see a line that says IMG Code. Click that line and you can then paste the code into your post here on Red Power.

BJ

Those pics are sweet, and the ones of the trucks are too.

When you decide to trade in the red head, let us know. You can keep the trucks!

She's my neighbour not my wife and she is single !!!

She's my neighbour not my wife and she is single !!!

Why?

Well time to get back on track with the trucks since my last posting I have picked up another early 50s pickup. A 1952 L110 for parts the cab is in fair shape and the engine turns over. I intend to tear the mill down for the pistons and con rods, remove the front hubs followed by selling the remaining parts to recoup my investment capitol. There is no glass in the cab aside from the passenger window thanks to kids at a local high school but the body and frame numbers match to the data placard on the kick panel. If anyone is in the Camrose Alberta area and would like to make an offer on the cab & chassis just say the word ( my wife would love her side of the garage back.)

I want to know why things got so quiet when posters started noticing the red head instead of the trucks. I'm just say'in.

I want to know why things got so quiet when posters started noticing the red head instead of the trucks. I'm just say'in.

She is easy to look at

What did you do with the Cabover? I have a 72 Cargostar.

It is sitting at the wrecking yard near Tofield AB. (I do still own it though) The poor old thing needs too much work for me at the present time.

Ya gotta realize this site is mostly men... but anyhow, neighbor has two 3/4 ton IH pickups stashed in the wood I`m dickering with him on but scared what the condition will be. Hopeful as haven`t worked on them for 12 years.

Man if you lived here in Alberta , you'd have no problems picking up decent 'binders. All 3 of mine are in good shape cab wise and my R130 has a beautiful rust free box. Aside from engines and brakes needing attention I would not be afraid to drive them anywhere.

Man if you lived here in Alberta , you'd have no problems picking up decent 'binders. All 3 of mine are in good shape cab wise and my R130 has a beautiful rust free box. Aside from engines and brakes needing attention I would not be afraid to drive them anywhere.

We had a tractor dealer AND a separate truck dealer in town here and they were everywhere. Good old salt took most of them away.

We had a tractor dealer AND a separate truck dealer in town here and they were everywhere. Good old salt took most of them away.

Here in Alberta they've just started adding salt to the sand used on the roads so there are millions of older cars & trucks still in very good condition sitting around. Where I picked my R130 up the guy has a'52 L110 and a L150 in the field still and they've been there since the late '80s or early '90s along with a '59 Plymouth Savoy and a '47 Chev sedan. If I had room to work on them (and the money) I'd clean his yard up once and for all!!!

If you`re a young man, you`ll get one done and itch for another. If he isn`t advertising them, they`ll wait for you. I`m replacing fuel tanks, fuel-brake-tranny lines, and leaf spring shackles on "5" year old vehicles here. Penndot started years back spraying a chemical on all the roads prior to a snowfall then topping it with salt/peagravel. Yes, pea gravel! And most of the gravel isn`t even crushed. The chemical they say is beet juice mixed with something. When under a dripping car/truck in winter, it burns my skin. Brilliant minds in Penndot. I sweep 1/2 inch gravel off shop floor after car is backed out. We mine limestone here and fine limestone chips work great for traction but wealthy family sells gravel so there you have it.

Sounds like the gravel moguls are lining their pockets at the expense of the citizens. You just have to wonder what would happen if a high mucky muck politician ( such as the governor) got involved in a traffic accident there? As for my itching to start on another project after I finish this one I might be starting one WHILE working on the R130. I have a 1983 GMC daily driver that needs a lot of TLC and don't personally care for so I'm looking into putting another cab and box on it.

The "Man" pulled all permits to dredge river that supplied the gravel here because of endangered mussels that were discovered in the river. Wealthy family then switched their efforts into Marcellas gas. BUT, they stockpiled mountains of gravel first. I realize roads need treated but anymore, it`s overkill. Plow the roads and drive with caution. People expect roads to be perfect 24/7 anymore. Most of the calls I get in my towing business are 4WD`s! "I have a 4WD so I don`t have to be cautious... 4WD does one thing better, go uphill. They don`t corner or stop and better. Too short in length and tall.