1468 Twin M&W turbochargers

redgreen

I see that ol 14 has a 9Liter in it, Im guessin that the twin turbo set up made short work of the old DV550. Would love to drive it though and see the differance between it and mine. Its still cool though ^_^

whats up with the frame notches above the front axel on the second picture? never seen that before an a 66/68

My 1468 has the frame notched out also. I think all the 68 series were due to the wider frame to allow full travel of the axle

my dads got a 1468 and his dont have that notch in the frame. maybe it was somethen they added after it came out

One of the farmers in our county had a 1468 with M&W turbos on it. The bottom end kept exiting parts. NOT a good deal at all;

whats up with the frame notches above the front axel on the second picture? never seen that before an a 66/68

My 1468 has the frame notched out also. I think all the 68 series were due to the wider frame to allow full travel of the axle

I've never seen a 1468 or 1568 that didn't have those axle notches in the frame. Puller806, your dad might have a rare bird there. Does anyone know if the first 1468's came off the line without those frame notches?

Rick G.

I'm guessing the frame rails are deeper (top to bottom), not wider, than the 66 frame rails, but I've not been around many 68's.

I can still recall when W. H. Hardy got back a 1468 on trade that had the twin turbos. I though it was the coolest looking setup. The motor was definately not made for it but it is still cool. IA few years ago I heard the owner of one rack it off at Red Power Roundup. Add the whistle of those turbos to the growl of that V-8 and you definately do turn heads.

I'm guessing the frame rails are deeper (top to bottom), not wider, than the 66 frame rails, but I've not been around many 68's.

I don't know if they are are taller or not but they are definitely wider. You can't fit a 550 between standard framerails... No way. The rails on a V-8 are cast and flare out at the back to clear the motor. You can also see the difference if you look at the front of a '66 vs a '68.

This is #7225 (25th one built) that I used to own. You can see that it had the cutouts...

post-457-0-34031300-1336568550_thumb.jpg

-FT

anybody have a video of a twin turbo? I can't seem to find one on youtube. I really want to hear one! I was at RPRU in Madison and the black 1468 was there too and I saw it go by me in the parade and he goosed it and I got a picture of it but I was too focused on taking pictures that I can't remember what one sounds like!

post-79-0-01836200-1336524787_thumb.jpg

"Factory Approved" (?) twin M&W turbos on a 1468. I wonder how many 68's got this treatment!

Pic taken at Albert Lea RPRU June 2011.

Use to be a 1468 in the neighborhood that had 4 turbos. Guy that had it pulled it plus farmed with it as well. Neighbor that lives a couple miles away from me bought it after the original owner passed away and had two of the turbos removed & used it mainly as a haying tractor. He sold it in a friend's farm sale 5-6 yrs ago , don't know where it went.

When I was at the Chapter 7 State Show last summer, there was a 1468 there that had turbos. They were using it a bit. Can't recall what it sounded like and didn't get any video of it.

the 9L they put in the trucks and stuff like that. they had about 180hp i believe and they didn't have the 4-8 switch all the time. they valve covers were also different too. a 9L was the better of the 550's imo

That tractor was here in West Michigan pulling for a year or two. It was capable of 3 high in the right conditions. The guy sold it and took a couple years off and now has another 1468 with the same setup. This is the 3rd one he's had. All his tractors are very nicely done .

Archived