Farmall B Restoration

farmer_boy47

This semester I am taking tractor restoration in school and we are restoring my dad's B along with another of my class mates John Deere A. The engine was redone in last years class, so this year we started tearing apart the rear end. We are now putting everything back together and if things go as planned it'll be sitting out front of the school on graduation day. I'll get some pictures put on tonight.

It's great to see someone young take interest in these old tractors. In my part of the country (TN) there are not many of the B models around, we have more of the A, C, H, and M size than the B. Good luck with your project and get us some pic to see your progress.

My first tractor was a B. I got it at 12 and it had set out without antifreeze right after an engine rebuild. I v'd out the crack, pinned both ends and welded the crack. Never even seeped. Painted it and planted 60 acres of wheat that fall. Plowed and planted 80 the next year until I bought an M. Great little tractors. Will look forward to seeing yours, good luck and enjoy....James

Here are some pictures to start with, I will look for a picture of what we started with. We have took everything completely apart, and replaced all of the bearings. On Tuesday we are hoping to get the transmission put onto the bell housing and maybe get the final drives onto the tranny. I'll be updating about every week or so. enjoy the pics

post-34462-0-77738100-1329540472_thumb.j

post-34462-0-28296600-1329540492_thumb.j

post-34462-0-68780400-1329540503_thumb.j

post-34462-0-61898000-1329540514_thumb.j

post-34462-0-70268100-1329540523_thumb.j

On Wednesday we mounted the transmission, bell housing and one final drive, and today we got the other final drive on and starting to get the platform together, I'll get some pictures on tomorrow night. Its just kinda exciting going from taking everything apart to getting something thats starting to look like a tractor again.

Reminds me of last March when I had my B all apart. When I acquired it, the LH extension was missing and it was narrowed up like an A. PTO input shaft was broken and welded crooked, causing housing to crack around the shaft! Got her all back the way it should be and fabricated a LH platform and seat for a passenger from the donor tractor parts. Now, I need to eradicate the straw that the kids (prior to my ownership) put into the fuel tank! Your B looks really good, the finished product will be its own reward.

Hi Dennis I live in nw. In. many yrs back when i was in h-school we had FFA for only one yr . I don't now why but the school did away with it . But that's when the ecconimie started going bad and alot of farms where forclosed on and so forth. But i really enjoyed that yr. and class . That yr. we had animal husbundrie , so we never got into any equipt. work but the shop at our school never was big enough to do equipt. work . Learn all you can there while your young , cause the older you get the harder it is to remember stuff . Great job on your endever .

lookin good keep up the good work!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the view, and for keeping care of the "B", looks great!

The 'B' model is one of my favorites.............it's okay to have more than one favorite, RIGHT? (!) :P

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of our current progress, we are getting very close to being able to get it started up, we are just waiting on the carb, magneto, and radiator. Its getting really fun to look at the older pictures and see how far we have come. We were discussing while putting parts on about how most of this tractor hasn't been together for 20 years or better. Hope you enjoy the pics.

post-34462-0-41194000-1333512841_thumb.j

post-34462-0-21174500-1333512861_thumb.j

I might find myself in your shoes.I have a friend of mine that has a 1941 B that is in real bad shape.I've been after him for it for a while now.One of these days I might just be bringing it home.

looking good,

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some recent pictures of our progress, there isn't much left to do before we try to start it for the first time, we just need to put the radiator on and get the carb all hooked up and it'll be ready to go. the plan is to have it ready for a good paint job by the end of the month.

post-34462-0-35908600-1334523022_thumb.j

post-34462-0-00266100-1334523031_thumb.j

We made some more progress today, along with getting the radiator on I got the wireing hooked up, now we are just waiting on a manifold and an air cleaner and it will be ready to try to start for the first time in who knows how many years. Also if any one knows what the is the correct type of badge for the front of the grill, is it the completely shiny metal or is it like the H and M with the black background.

post-34462-0-91129800-1334717483_thumb.j

post-34462-0-19660800-1334717488_thumb.j

Make sure you get one with the black backround,can be painted but alot easier to buy the one that is already done.There are several suppliers that don't have the backround painted.The emblem on the Farmall A and B are smaller than the H or M.Are you adding mesh to the grill or leaving it open?I added Stainless steel mesh to my Farmall A after it was painted as i like the unpainted mesh look

Nice job on the resto ,look forward to seeing the completed pics.

post-43866-0-24413000-1334816273_thumb.j

We added mesh to the grill today, but found some dents that needed attention, so now there is a little setback in that department. We also found out after trying to mount the carb that we had the wrong manifold, as well as an air cleaner without holes on the mounting bracket to run things through. So now we have the correct manifold, as well as air cleaner, which need to be painted, if everything goes according to schedule we should be able to starting late next week. My advisor told me today that in total we have 15 days to get it finished so we have to hope all goes well.

Archived