560 project setback

Tonyinca

Hey Guys,

For those of you following my 560 restoration project reports, Well, there has been a slight set back . :o

We went to fire and realized piston domes hitting spark plugs.After some research realized machine shop installed pistons backwards. :(

Removed head and sure enough front arrow pointing to the back.

I'll post few pic's. We have it ready for machine shop tech who will pull pistons and reverse at wrist pin, tomorrow.Fortunatly no sign of piston and valves kissing :rolleyes: Tony

post-8888-0-43952800-1328328983_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-49932900-1328329038_thumb.jp

Well, Machine shop tech was out , He could not believe that he did that. My opinion STUFF happens. all's well that ends well.

We are back on target hopefully thurs 9th will set head and pan and ready to fire again. BTW if wondering why wait to thurs. Well! I have to farm in meantime .Been Irrigating and dormant spraying orchards getting ready for bees this week for pollination which My estimate is that we'll be blooming in 10 days. So I devote one day a week for shop work or( Play) :P I call it hard work my wife calls it a hobby so she insists its play :(

Regards, Tony

post-8888-0-20342300-1328416074_thumb.jp

Sorry to hear this Tony, but it sounds like your machine shop is going to make it right. It will all work out, it's only parts and it goes together one way !!!

Danny

What is all wrapped up behind the 560 in that last photo?

There are three I.H.'s and a L.A.case wrapped up behind it.

They are my girls!

Sorry about my pos camera dark spot on cornner.

post-8888-0-21838300-1328693929_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-78680300-1328694042_thumb.jp

While that does suck at least you won't get greasy ;) .

Boy! that is a big plus. I'am the wash rack guy :huh: and the first half of restoration I am always covered in grease trying to get rid of the grease :( Tony

HOLY S#@T that 400 is nice tony! :wub: I hope mine comes out half as nice as yours, You do excellent work. I can't hardly wait to see the 560 all done.

While that does suck at least you won't get greasy ;) .

Boy! that is a big plus. I'am the wash rack guy :huh: and the first half of restoration I am always covered in grease trying to get rid of the grease :( Tony

I resemble that remark,hate working on greasy stuff.Did the back brakes on my wife's Honda Ridgeline today,snow, salt and anti skid crap all over everything.

Nice lookin machines all around! Glad to hear the 560 is back on level ground!

Well today put 560 engine back together and fired her up . Runs great and sounds great but a" PROBLEM," water seeping from head gasket quite a bit from manifold side all along head and on plug side I can see bubbling all along cylinder head.

What do you guys think I did wrong? Thanks, Tony

Did you use any sealer? Did you reuse the gasket? May try re-torquing while engine is up to temp? I would not recommend any sealer. Sleeves should be flush with deck.

Scott

Did you use any sealer? Did you reuse the gasket? May try re-torquing while engine is up to temp? I would not recommend any sealer. Sleeves should be flush with deck.

Scott

Used no sealer , New fell-pro Gasket, sleeves are flush. Will try Re-torquing at temp.

This restoration has been a challenge from day one. Makes the 400 I did last year feel like it was a piece of cake. Tony

Those gaskets have a sealer on them that seals with heat. It is the yellowish brown coating on the gasket. If you reused the gasket you will need to use an additional sealer.

Thank You Owen,

I did use a new gasket. Tony

• 2 years later...

Tony, I am obviously getting in the loop here way late, but don't leave me hanging brother!!! I have read every post and seen every picture back to your first one. How did it turn out!!?? LOL!!

SeattleIHAddict,

We got the pistons turned around and had a little problem with head gasket sealing after surfacing both head and block. WE were using aftermarket head gasket then went to a I.H gasket and problem solved.

She has been doing well and runs very smooth. No problems at all since.

Tony

post-8888-0-80030800-1397187928_thumb.jp

don't get to mad at the machine guy everyone makes mistakes now and then. I have been known to put a piston in backwards every now and the easy to do by mistake and if you are maybe half dyslexic. never put the head on though always caught them on the final look over before putting all the way together. I have done more than a few tractor engines and you always learn something new every day from your mistakes. last engine I had a main cap on backwards and I always make sure all casting numbers line up before putting pan on felt like an idiot when I had to turn it around good thing nobody besides my self knew about it till now. tractor looks good though. dale

Archived