Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2017 at 3:03 PM, Sledgehammer said:

This is a fresh find. I came across a 1903 issue of the "Albion Journal" which was a publication of the people of the county and their assets (including dogs :)). Albion is the town I grew up in and 3 miles east of where I currently live.  Painter & Frankland Hardware closed in 1996. I loved that place as a kid and would ride my bike there when I needed "supplies" for some childhood project. They had a rolling ladder along one side of the store running on the wooden floor and a sandstone set of steps leading into the building. I spent hours staring at the knives in the oak/glass showcase. The proprietor would sell me anything from a single nail/screw on up and seemed to take joy in helping a kid like me explore building things. 

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r177/Stledger83/7FC3517D-878F-4773-B0E2-0D1808AB279E_zpscg9iv4us.jpg
Do you still have this ad from Painter & Frankland? If so I would love to see it, it says photo unavailable on my end. 

22 hours ago, Kinley22 said:
On 4/16/2017 at 3:03 PM, Sledgehammer said:

Do you still have this ad from Painter & Frankland? If so I would love to see it, it says photo unavailable on my end. 

Let me look. I know I still have it, just a matter of putting my hands on it. May I ask what your interest is?  That was about 5-1/2 years ago when photobucket didn’t charge people to store images there. I don’t use them any more since they want $$ for hosting photos so they got rid of my pictures.  Found it without much trouble. 

DC168E63-0F5A-4586-9270-52B7AA779974.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 7:59 PM, Sledgehammer said:

Let me look. I know I still have it, just a matter of putting my hands on it. May I ask what your interest is?  That was about 5-1/2 years ago when photobucket didn’t charge people to store images there. I don’t use them any more since they want $$ for hosting photos so they got rid of my pictures.  Found it without much trouble. 

DC168E63-0F5A-4586-9270-52B7AA779974.jpeg

Sorry I just seen this! How cool! I actually moved into the painter and Frankland building so trying to find all the stuff I can! I’m making a history wall inside!! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Kinley22 said:

Do you still have these pictures of the Albion journal? I am unable to see them now but would love to!

Can you not see it above your post here?  I reposted the picture with the add???  

You live in Albion then?  Small world. I live west of town in the country. 

Yes I seen it after I commented again! That’s very cool! Yes I have always lived in Albion! We just moved into the painter and frankland building and realizing they didn’t do much advertising! It’s so hard to find anything about so it’s cool to see the ad you have! 

8 hours ago, Kinley22 said:

Yes I seen it after I commented again! That’s very cool! Yes I have always lived in Albion! We just moved into the painter and frankland building and realizing they didn’t do much advertising! It’s so hard to find anything about so it’s cool to see the ad you have! 

Good for you. That was a favorite place of mine growing up. Could be a very interesting space to live in. I believe they opened around 1867 based on what I know and sold some various forms of equipment (like the add says) Later they transitioned into mostly hardware.  

47 minutes ago, Kinley22 said:

It’s very neat! From the research I have done, I found they opened in 1892 but that may be wrong! 

My advertisement is in a 1903 issue of the Albion Journal. The journal was a listing of who owned what at that time and not a newspaper as it came to be later.  The ad states “36th year in business” so 1903 minus 36 years is 1867. That’s all I was going off of.