Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

9 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

With an engine driving the belt pulley, how do you stop or shift gears?

The belt pulley is the clutch on a two cylinder. You would just use the hand clutch as normal. BUT. The belt pulley rides on a hyatt bearing that is supposed to be greased yearly by removing the pulley. I would be concerned that the belt tension needed to not slip would be more than that bearing is made for.

1 minute ago, cedar farm said:

The belt pulley is the clutch on a two cylinder. You would just use the hand clutch as normal. BUT. The belt pulley rides on a hyatt bearing that is supposed to be greased yearly by removing the pulley. I would be concerned that the belt tension needed to not slip would be more than that bearing is made for.

The belt pulley is essentially the same as a transmission drive pto. That is why when you pull the hand clutch it also actuates the pulley brake to stop the belt pulley. If the pulley is turning the transmission is turning. You can not shift a two cylinder tractor transmission if the belt pulley is turning. And if you pull the clutch the tractor will not stop if the pulley will not stop. It would be the same as not having an overrunning clutch on a tractor without a live pto when using a rotary mower, it would shove you right through the fence. 

35 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

The belt pulley is essentially the same as a transmission drive pto. That is why when you pull the hand clutch it also actuates the pulley brake to stop the belt pulley. If the pulley is turning the transmission is turning. You can not shift a two cylinder tractor transmission if the belt pulley is turning. And if you pull the clutch the tractor will not stop if the pulley will not stop. It would be the same as not having an overrunning clutch on a tractor without a live pto when using a rotary mower, it would shove you right through the fence. 

You are correct. I have a dozen or so 2 cylinders and should have known that. Had he been using the flywheel side it would have worked just fine.

23 hours ago, cedar farm said:

We had a Wisconsin on a MM pull type combine years ago. Dad slugged it one time. That thing would not start hot. Dad slipped the flat belt of and hooked up a flat belt to the A John Deere. "It's going to start now" No it didn't. Miserable engines.

If it wouldn't start hot the coil and/or condenser needed replaced. Was a whole lot of em back in the day in that condition from what I've read and stories like yours I've heard first hand. We had a c allis when I was a kid that acted the same way. Started cold but not very good hot.

Promotional/ home videos filmed by Hans Huerlimann the founder of the Huerlimann Tractor and motor works in Wil Switzerland. The hay trailer in the first video was made by the Huerlimann company. And Hans Huerlimann's dad Karl Huerlimann is on the side delivery rake and the driver is Ernst Huerlimann which was for many years the factories sales person. Most of the new Huerlimann tractors bought by my grandfather where threw Ernst Huerlimann!

the Swiss Army also used tractors before and after the War until sometime in the late 50s or early 60s. The Swiss General Henri Guisan can be seen in the second part, Switzerland only has a General turning war time he gets elected by Parlement.

Hans Huerlimann travelling to South America to demo his tractor D 600 with motor harrow with the goal to export them,

Huerlimann D 600 being tested 24 hours none stop to get import licence, and 1964 plowing competition in Vienna with the D 800

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Surprised to see this thread is still going. Guess I'll post something fitting for the end of November. Massey sold a line of snowmobiles in the early seventies called "Ski-Whiz". Just one of many names that have long since disappeared from the market. 

MF ski whiz.jpg

• Like 2