Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

8 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

What was the theory behind low density balers?

I recently asked Jean Cointe, a French dealer, a similar question.  He replied "The low-density baler is typically an European implement.  Main brands produced in Germany, France,and sometimes Italy.  The goal was to meet the needs of small farms, particularly in the mountainous regions.The bales were fragile, to handle with precaution, in order to avoid the accidental loose of the twine.  CIMA developed three models, well built, specially with an auxiliary engine, allowing the machine to be pulled with two horses.  However these type of machines had their market share decreasing quickly after 1960.

I think it boils down to smaller farms, smaller tractors, and a lower price.  Here are a couple of IH's from the 1960s.

F5 Haypress 1.jpg

F5 Haypress 3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howard_P said:

I recently asked Jean Cointe, a French dealer, a similar question.  He replied "The low-density baler is typically an European implement.  Main brands produced in Germany, France,and sometimes Italy.  The goal was to meet the needs of small farms, particularly in the mountainous regions.The bales were fragile, to handle with precaution, in order to avoid the accidental loose of the twine.  CIMA developed three models, well built, specially with an auxiliary engine, allowing the machine to be pulled with two horses.  However these type of machines had their market share decreasing quickly after 1960.

I think it boils down to smaller farms, smaller tractors, and a lower price.  Here are a couple of IH's from the 1960s.

Watching the videos, it looks like they left half of the hay/straw out there.  The first video of the Fahr you can see the straw dropping of the bales.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Howard_P said:

F5 Haypress 1.jpg

53 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Watching the videos, it looks like they left half of the hay/straw out there.  The first video of the Fahr you can see the straw dropping of the bales.  

The Low Density baler days where numbered after the Self loading wagons came on to the Market starting in 1960. In mountainous regions the hay was put up loose (in the Alpine region) which its still today.

Keine Fotobeschreibung verfügbar.

I operated a similar hay baler in Sweden in 1980. I was working on a farm in southern Sweden and we made some "rough" hay for the family pony to eat through the winter.

The 18 year old son did most of the tractor driving but he was having problems with the knotters on this baler that had been borrowed from a neighbour. I helped him fix the knotters but he lost interest and got me to finish the job.

This baler had a chute to load a trailer pulled behind the baler. As we were doing only a small area we dropped onto the ground and pick up later.

Sweden 1136.JPG

Sweden 1137.JPG

Sweden 1138.JPG

3 hours ago, A554 said:

I operated a similar hay baler in Sweden in 1980. I was working on a farm in southern Sweden and we made some "rough" hay for the family pony to eat through the winter.

This baler had a chute to load a trailer pulled behind the baler. As we were doing only a small area we dropped onto the ground and pick up later.

Maybe it was similar to the "Welger" baler sold here in the fifties. I've posted ads for that one here before. They were made to pull behind a combine and make a low density bale. Saw one sell at a farm auction a few years ago. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Maybe it was similar to the "Welger" baler sold here in the fifties. I've posted ads for that one here before. They were made to pull behind a combine and make a low density bale. Saw one sell at a farm auction a few years ago. 

Here is a Claas version of a baler like that

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 10:37 PM, U-C said:

Here is a Claas version of a baler like that

I remember seeing the Class combine baler attachment in Country Guide ads. In fact pretty sure I posted one way back in this thread. Never did see the real thing. These IH conventional square balers were more common although New Holland ruled here in those days. 

57 McCormick baler.jpg

• Like 3

This vintage Coca Cola ad has an agricultural theme to it showing some farming equipment of the day.  Some type of straw stacker and a binder. 

Too bad some kid got to mess it up with a pencil. 

scan0288.jpg

• Like 1

Back in 1963 you could get a free Timex watch if you took in an on farm demonstration of the 930 Case on your farm. Looks like a good deal to me. They were a great tractor and the Timex watch was pretty good too. 

63 Case Test.jpg

• Like 3