Vintage Ads

clay neubauer

On 9/7/2019 at 8:29 PM, lightninboy said:

I checked out stuff on a local auction sale.

Looks like my favourite kind of auction sale with all the old junk.

With the slow damp harvest conditions we have here it might be a good time to post a 1952 ad for the Westgo swath lifter. Built to lift rain soaked swaths off the muddy ground and hopefully dry. From North Dakota. 

52 Westgo Swath Lifter small.jpg

• Like 2

It always kind of shocks and amazes me when I see the size of the boxes on today's pickups. Huge behemoth trucks with a tiny little six foot box. Used to be that an 8 foot box was standard equipment. IH even offered the "bonus load" 8 and a half foot box for awhile on their pickups. 

Back in 56 Ford was offering the biggest box in the pickup field (8 foot). Seen here in a Mercury ad.

56 Merc pickup.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lightninboy said:

8' box was standard equipment? Maybe on 3/4-tons.

Pretty much every old truck i have used , and still use, will take a full length eight foot sheet of plywood and still able to close the tail gate. The 71 Chev and GMC. My 81 GMC. Brother's 87 Chev. The 70 Dodge my dad had. The 59 IH has the "bonus load" eight and a half foot box. These are all half ton pickups. It was a rare sighting to see a "shortbox pickup not so many years ago. 

80 Chev pickup.jpg

69 Ford new.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Hmm. "The Dodge D150 was part of the D-series of trucks that were introduced in 1961. The D150 was introduced in 1978 and was manufactured through 1993. The Dodge D150 was available as a regular cab or club cab and had two box lengths -- short and long."

True, the short boxes were available but they did not sell many here. Back in the day of this 1975 ad buyers were wanting a work truck. Not some 4x4 toy to play in the mud or never put anything in the box. We needed room for a service tank of fuel and plenty of space left over for all the necessary stuff that farming/ranching involved. and be able to stack over 30 square bales on it. A six foot box just did not appeal to those buyers. Yes, they sold a few short (6 and a half foot) box trucks here but usually one of the fancy "fenderside" models that wasn't likely going to be used like a truck anyway. 

75 gmc.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some nice old Massey brochures. I can't recall the exact details but seems to me that big Massey was based on the Minneapolis Moline G 708 like this one. 

MM G708.jpg

• Like 2